dSLR thread

ddrueding

Fixture
If one has $15-20,000 to spend, the Scarlet seems like the more obvious choice.

I would agree, unless you are coming from the entry-level with tons of Canon glass and not a lot of other video infrastructure. Quite a few have made the transition into video using nothing more than 5DIIs and CF cards, those might be tempted to stick with the Canon solution.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have 400GB of 8GB and higher cards of at least 300x grade. I'm trying to decide whether to buy 10 more of the 32GB cards, thus increasing the total to 720GB. That would be enough for most 2-week outings so I would not be so dependent on the computer, PSDs, HDs, etc.

Now they are all out of stock.

LunarMist

Yeah, that is the way of the ponzi/pyramidal scheme. It never ends well.

LunarMist

Yeah and they have a deal with the 24-105 too. I dumped my 5D II long ago and would not get another.

Stereodude

Not really a
With the 5D MkIII presumably right around the corner I don't see any reason to buy a 5D MkII now.

Of course I said the same thing when the 5D was about to get replaced by the MkII and I never bought a II in the several years since.

LunarMist

The D800 will be out in early 2012 as well, although availability may depend on the Thailands being restored. The IQ will beat anything that Canon could muster if it really has a Sony 36MP sensor as rumored. However, a 5D III or D800 will be far more than $2K and many people using lesser cameras have been waiting for a good time to buy a 5D II. The situation was similar in the late days of the old 5D.

ddrueding

Fixture
If I were planning on supplementing my 7D, it would be with a 5DII. But I would absolutely wait until the 5DIII came out, to see if it's worth it or at least drive down the cost of the 5DII.

LunarMist

On BF LR3 was at Newegg for $100 and Amazon was the same IIRC. I bought one copy. The egg price is now back to $280 and it is $185 at Amazon. :(

What is wrong with NX2? I was thinking of buying that also for the D7000. The upgrade from NX is about $80.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I think you are thinking of something else.
ViewNX2 came with my camera, I didn't have to buy it.
Maybe you are thinking of Capture NX2?

Anyway viewNX2 keeps raising an error when I'm just rating my photos. It doesn't crash but the error is annoying. Then it does it again when I do the quick edits. Then I have to do the edits again. Thirdly it is SLOW. I don't think it is taking advantage of quad cores at all. It won't let me do anything in the program while it is processing. So once I export, I'm stalled for 30 minutes. And I have to wait for the quick edits to save before moving onto the next picture.

I'm looking for something that is at least a multi-threaded UI. Doesn't raise errors on every 10th picture and will take advantage of the quad cores to process images when I am converting/editing them.

LunarMist

Yes, I meant Capture NX/2. View NX2 is very basic. I thought is was multi-threaded though.

LunarMist

View NX2 is multi-threaded. I converted 111 random D7000 (16MP) NEF files to 8-bit TIFs over ~4 minutes. The CPU goes up to 100% part of the time and averages maybe 70%. That's roughly the same as other converters such as DPP, being limited by the reads (2.23GB) and writes (5.01GB).

LunarMist

So I finally bought the 70-200/2.8 IS II. It is the last of the five different Canon 70-200 L lenses that I never owned and sixth overall (I had a couple of the 70-200/2.8 IS for a while). Missing that one lens was annoying me terribly. I was thinking about it in May, but bought another 300 at the time.

LunarMist

It was not in stock, just ordered. I should get rid of the 70-200/2.8 IS. I have not used it in nearly 5 years since getting the 70-200/4 IS.

LunarMist

All of the tests indicate the f/2.8 IS II lens is better than the f/2.8 IS (not that the latter is a bad lens), so I won't be testing them for comparison. Actually I will be comparing the f/2.8 IS II to the f/4 IS. With a 1.4x III TC the f/2.8 IS II should be better than the f/4 IS.

LunarMist

Yes, the size and weight are always an issue, but more so when using other lenses at the same time such as 100-400 and 500.

Stereodude

Not really a
Not a DSLR, but I couldn't resist the $229 w/ free 1 day shipping Canon S95 deal Amazon had yesterday morning. And, yes I already have a S90.

ddrueding

Fixture
Did my annual night football game tonight. Of course, it was super windy and drizzling/light rain the whole time. I hope the 7D&180/3.5 is moderately moisture resistant.

LunarMist

The 180/3.5 macro is very old for the EF mount and not weather resistant. It is a poor choice for sports since the aperture is very slow as is the antiquated AF. Any version of the 70-200/2.8 would be a logical choice. I've used the 7D with a weather resistant lens in light rain without failure, but that does not mean it cannot happen. Canon will not cover the damage under warranty so the risk is yours.

ddrueding

Fixture
I do want one of those, but my money is currently tied up in the pursuit of an S4 and a GA pilot's license. I was honestly surprised at how well the 180 macro did; both from the field and the press box it was super sharp and about the right length. At f3.5 and ISO6400 I could manage 1/250 by underexposing one stop. If I had gone much faster I suspect I would have missed the focus of many more shots entirely.

Handruin

Administrator
If you do this annually, why not rent the appropriate lens next time and get fantastic shots for a fraction the cost of owning a lens?