The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Stereodude

Not really a
I put the supercharged badges on my S4 yesterday. I had fun with the ECS template that prints out at the wrong size in Acrobat / Adobe Reader no matter what settings you use while printing it. I had to open the PDF in Photoshop and print it a few times to find the right scaling. Strangely though other posters on Audizine claim it worked fine when printed to an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper from Acrobat / Reader which is impossible since neither let you print with custom scaling.

On another topic... Have you noticed that cruise control will apply the brakes? I haven't had a car that applies the brakes when the cruise control is on before. I also noticed that cruise control does not disengage when you depress the clutch. I've only had one other manual transmission car with cruise control, the Maxima, and pressing the clutch would turn off cruise just like the brake pedal, but it's not the case in the Audi.

ddrueding

Fixture
That kinda makes sense...my DSG will downshift one or two gears when cruise control is engaged going downhill. After that it will let the car accelerate downhill if it still would.

Handruin

Administrator
I put the supercharged badges on my S4 yesterday. I had fun with the ECS template that prints out at the wrong size in Acrobat / Adobe Reader no matter what settings you use while printing it. I had to open the PDF in Photoshop and print it a few times to find the right scaling. Strangely though other posters on Audizine claim it worked fine when printed to an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper from Acrobat / Reader which is impossible since neither let you print with custom scaling.

On another topic... Have you noticed that cruise control will apply the brakes? I haven't had a car that applies the brakes when the cruise control is on before. I also noticed that cruise control does not disengage when you depress the clutch. I've only had one other manual transmission car with cruise control, the Maxima, and pressing the clutch would turn off cruise just like the brake pedal, but it's not the case in the Audi.

I haven't noticed the cruise control applying the brakes yet. I've used it only a few times, so I haven't played with it much. I also find it weird that the cruise control doesn't disengage when the clutch is pressed. I've had a few other manuals that would disable it when the clutch was depressed. When I first read your comment, I was expecting the engine to rev higher as the car slowed, but it just cuts the gas to the engine until the clutch is reengaged. I'm happy that wasn't the case.

I've noticed that the brakes will do their test/prime shortly after moving the car. I can feel the buzz/vibrations from it. What's odd is I've also noticed it randomly after driving for some time. I'll be at a light or a stop sign, and they will test/prime shortly after I begin moving.

While working on the car yesterday (cleaning), I had the hood open and after a few minutes I noticed a high pitch electrical sound and click/clack noises for a few seconds. No idea what it was doing, but I think it's related to the advanced key. It would happen again later when I would bump the door handles while waxing.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've noticed that the brakes will do their test/prime shortly after moving the car. I can feel the buzz/vibrations from it. What's odd is I've also noticed it randomly after driving for some time. I'll be at a light or a stop sign, and they will test/prime shortly after I begin moving.
I can't say that I've noticed anything with the brakes.

While working on the car yesterday (cleaning), I had the hood open and after a few minutes I noticed a high pitch electrical sound and click/clack noises for a few seconds. No idea what it was doing, but I think it's related to the advanced key. It would happen again later when I would bump the door handles while waxing.
I've noticed this from the first day with the car. I can hear the high pitch sound and the relays clicking away even with the hood closed. I'm not entirely sure what the high pitch sound is all about. The relays make sense given all the electrical stuff the turns on temporarily after unlocking a door.

ddrueding

Fixture
Who ended up getting which VAG-COM unit? The wife's car suddenly got a check-engine and I would love to have a look myself ASAP. May as well get something fully-featured so I can do whatever I like on these cars.

ddrueding

Fixture
Did my normal ride through Pebble Beach yesterday morning. Apparently Audi was doing a "Driving Experience" day or something, the roads were crawling with new S7s and S8s. Got to draft some on the way down the beach. Pretty cars, but none in my favorite white.

Stereodude

Not really a
The S8 is a monster. If I was loaded and wanted a fast land barge that would be my choice.

In other news, I tried a rinse free wash of my S4 today in the garage with Optimum No Rinse. It looks nice and clean in the garage. I'm not sure what I will see when I get it out in the sunlight tomorrow.

ddrueding

Fixture
I got a sample of that as well, but my cars are currently far too filthy to attempt such magic. As soon as I finish building out the garage and have a spot to park them inside I'll pay more attention to keeping them clean.

Handruin

Administrator
The brakes on the S4 put out a ton of brake dust. They're dirty in 2-3 days of driving. I've not had a ton of time to wash the car. Other things keeping me busy these days. I've been able to wash it, clay it, (wash it again), and wax it a couple weeks ago. The car switches between sitting inside the garage and out in the driveway so it's always dusty. It's fun thought. I'm a little over 2K miles on it so far. I'm noticing that the torque is rather flat throughout the range. First and second gear really pull hard. Third gives me the impression it's pulling hard but just seems to level out even with my foot down. I get a little surge when going from 2nd to third and then it just seems flat. Almost makes me feel like something is wrong. Maybe I'm just getting use to the torque already.

Stereodude

Not really a
Have you played any with the 3rd mini cut plastic key?

I decided to try it today to see exactly what it does or doesn't do. When put into the driver door it can unlock/locks the door(s) and disarm/arm the alarm. Once in the car if its placed in the plastic shell it can start the car (in the key slot). Push button start does not work. However, once the car is running the push button can stop the engine and shut off the car.

Handruin

Administrator
Have you played any with the 3rd mini cut plastic key?

I decided to try it today to see exactly what it does or doesn't do. When put into the driver door it can unlock/locks the door(s) and disarm/arm the alarm. Once in the car if its placed in the plastic shell it can start the car (in the key slot). Push button start does not work. However, once the car is running the push button can stop the engine and shut off the car.

I thought it was supposed to work (start the car) if you click the plastic shell into the glove compartment slot? I haven't tried it though.

Stereodude

Not really a
I thought it was supposed to work (start the car) if you click the plastic shell into the glove compartment slot? I haven't tried it though.
As I mentioned in my post, it will start the car when put in the shell and placed into the key slot. I was surprised that it would disarm the alarm when used in the door though.

Speaking of the alarm... Have you heard the alarm on the S4? It's not exactly an attention grabber. If you haven't, next time you're by the car hit the panic button.

Handruin

Administrator
As I mentioned in my post, it will start the car when put in the shell and placed into the key slot. I was surprised that it would disarm the alarm when used in the door though.

Speaking of the alarm... Have you heard the alarm on the S4? It's not exactly an attention grabber. If you haven't, next time you're by the car hit the panic button.

I was confused with how you were describing the order of operations. You said it would start, but you couldn't use the push button start. I was talking about the slot in the glove box. Can you use the push button start if it's locked in the holder in the glove box with the plastic key fob?

I would expect it to disarm the alarm. How else would you get into the car? :) I haven't yet heard the alarm. Does it just honk the horn?

Stereodude

Not really a
I was confused with how you were describing the order of operations. You said it would start, but you couldn't use the push button start. I was talking about the slot in the glove box. Can you use the push button start if it's locked in the holder in the glove box with the plastic key fob?
There's a shell in the glove compartment that the plastic key goes into. When that shell + the plastic key is placed into the key slot in the dash you can start the car by pushing the shell forward and holding it (exactly how the normal key works in it). The Start/Stop push button does not work to start the car with the plastic key + shell combo. It says "No Key Identified". The shell without the plastic key in it won't do anything in the key slot. There's no risk leaving the empty shell in the car. Leaving the plastic key in the shell in the car would not be a good idea.

I would expect it to disarm the alarm. How else would you get into the car? :) I haven't yet heard the alarm. Does it just honk the horn?
No, it doesn't honk the horn. The alarm is much more subtle than that. Try it and see.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I discovered last week that the black button inside the main jog dial on the MMI controls is actually also a 4 way joystick. :idea:

Handruin

Administrator
So I discovered last week that the black button inside the main jog dial on the MMI controls is actually also a 4 way joystick. :idea:

Yes. Yes it is. I've only ever used it for scrolling the maps. Which by the way is incredibly painful and slow so I no longer bother. lol

Handruin

Administrator
I ordered a set of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds today. I saw the discussions on AZ on the different tire suggestions and I wasn't willing to be the early adopter of the Michelin Alpin PA4s like you ordered. I saw enough positive feedback on the Dunlops that I figured they are a sure thing for a decent winter tire. The Alpin PA4s could end up being better, but I wasn't willing to take the chance. The local tire places also weren't sure if they could order them yet.

I'll probably put them on the first or second week in November. Then I'll put up a classified ad for my Pirellis to see if I can sell them as used tires. Come spring I'll revisit getting new wheels and tires for the summer. I still haven't decided what I want to get.

On my way to shop for tires this afternoon I had a Lexus IS F next to me at a traffic light. When it turned green, we both took off and I had a slight jump on him. I was surprised he never really caught up before we had to brake. I would have expected him to rocket past given the extra power in that car, but it didn't happen. I'm sure with more distance he would have passed me, but it was much more even than I expected. I hadn't really even done that with another car until today. The S4 is an understated unassuming little rocket ship.

I had signed up to do an autocross even next weekend but I can't make it due to other obligations. I'll have to wait until next spring to try again because this is the last even for this year with this group of people. They use a decommissioned air force runway to do the event. I'm excited to have a little fun with it on a closed track.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah...snow tires, what an interesting idea. 80F here all last week.

I'm now drooling over the RS5.

I've never considered tracking my car, but now you have me thinking about it. With Laguna Seca about 10 miles away...

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah...snow tires, what an interesting idea. 80F here all last week.

I'm now drooling over the RS5.

I've never considered tracking my car, but now you have me thinking about it. With Laguna Seca about 10 miles away...

Yeah rub it in with the nice weather. :) It's 70F here right now (which is warmer than I'd expect).

The RS5 looks like a sweet ride. Did you see it offers a set of $6K Carbon Ceramic brakes? :-D When I priced one out, it got upwards of $75K!

If I was 10 miles from Laguna Seca I would go broke with track-day fees (and new tires and brakes every season). You should go try it at least once. Lime Rock Park is about 130 miles away from me so it's a bit less convenient. I would like to try a track day event there eventually.

ddrueding

Fixture
The problem with the RS5 and a kid on the way is no back doors. So an S7 is more likely. Of course I would prefer the practicality of an S6 Avant, but they have taken away that option for the more stylish and higher margin 7.

I think that the driving simulators in the garage have helped stem the desire to take to the track, undoubtedly the safer and cheaper alternative.

Stereodude

Not really a
I ordered a set of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds today. I saw the discussions on AZ on the different tire suggestions and I wasn't willing to be the early adopter of the Michelin Alpin PA4s like you ordered. I saw enough positive feedback on the Dunlops that I figured they are a sure thing for a decent winter tire. The Alpin PA4s could end up being better, but I wasn't willing to take the chance. The local tire places also weren't sure if they could order them yet.
If it had been between the PA3's and the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds I would have gone with the Dunlops also. However, the PA4's have a more aggressive tread pattern than the PA3, and the reviewers said they were better than the PA3. The PA3 tended to be a top pick in some of the Canadian and European shootouts I saw so I'm hoping my PA4 purchase will pan out for me.

I'll probably put them on the first or second week in November.
Mine are still in a stack in the garage waiting for the weather to turn. I'm waiting for the first snow, or the average daily high temp to be in the 40's. So far we're not there yet.

Have you tried turning off the ESC completely and doing a little hooning on wet pavement yet? I've tried it a few times. The rear end will definitely snap around if you crank the wheel and mash the throttle in first from a stop or a slow roll. I'm looking forward to some big empty snow covered parking lots. :cherry:

Handruin

Administrator
If it had been between the PA3's and the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds I would have gone with the Dunlops also. However, the PA4's have a more aggressive tread pattern than the PA3, and the reviewers said they were better than the PA3. The PA3 tended to be a top pick in some of the Canadian and European shootouts I saw so I'm hoping my PA4 purchase will pan out for me.

Mine are still in a stack in the garage waiting for the weather to turn. I'm waiting for the first snow, or the average daily high temp to be in the 40's. So far we're not there yet.

Have you tried turning off the ESC completely and doing a little hooning on wet pavement yet? I've tried it a few times. The rear end will definitely snap around if you crank the wheel and mash the throttle in first from a stop or a slow roll. I'm looking forward to some big empty snow covered parking lots. :cherry:

I don't remember how to turn off the ECS completely. I need to go find the book to figure it out, so no, I haven't tried what you've described. I have pushed it hard through turns and had the back end slide out a bit but it never felt uncontrolled.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't remember how to turn off the ECS completely. I need to go find the book to figure it out, so no, I haven't tried what you've described. I have pushed it hard through turns and had the back end slide out a bit but it never felt uncontrolled.
You have to press and hold the button once for about 5 seconds until it says something about ESC off in the LCD in the dash. When you initially press it the message it will say something about limited ESC, as you continue to hold it down the message changes to off.

Stereodude

Not really a
I found It will step out maybe up to 30 degrees depending on a variety of factors. Most of the time not that much.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like my left front tire was likely ruined on the way to work this morning. I don't know if the rim is ruined yet. I'm guessing a construction vehicle must have dropped a rather large rock onto the road. I was stopped at a light at an intersection where down on that cross road they are doing some kind of construction. Due to traffic and the car in front of me I couldn't see it until the car in front of my kicked it my way and I drove over it. It was a very loud thud noise (but not two). When I got to work I can see an obviously bulge in outside edge of the sidewall. I'm assuming this means the impact broke the sidewall structure/belt. I'm also guessing it's not safe to drive on for any length of time. :-\ The car isn't shaking or anything so I don't know if it put the wheel out of round, but it did clearly damage the tire. The suspension was in comfort mode at the time...maybe it helped soften the impact a little...

I guess maybe I'll be putting snow tires on a little earlier than planned. I didn't particularly want to buy another OEM tire since I was planning on selling them anyway. I guess I can sell 3 now but 4 would have been easier as a set.

Handruin

Administrator
Ouch. Remind me what size wheel you got again? I've hit quite a few rocks and the like on my 18"s without issue.

The OEM 18" wheel and Pirelli Cinturato P7 summer tires (245/40/R18). I have not yet purchased my summer setup (thankfully). This was a rather large rock that looks to have caught the left outside edge of the tire/wheel when I ran over it. I'll take a picture of the bubble during lunch to given an example of the damage it caused.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm looking into getting a set of the TSW Nurburgring wheels and new tires. I was going to wait until the spring, but if i can get them now, then I'll ride those for a few weeks until switching over to snows.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I "talked" another friend into buying a S4. He's ordered a 6MT Prestige with pretty much all the options. I should be getting commissions from Audi...

I got my 5k mile oil change today as well as the electronic power steering recall done.