dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The whole thing is wonky IMO. I'm waiting until March to see how it all shakes out.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I predict that under such competition, Canon will likely release a comparable product relatively soon rather than allow someone else (Sony) gain a competitive edge. Buying a Sony body and an adapter so you can use Canon lenses is just a short-term fix. I am also suspicious about anything Sony, regardless of specifications, for I've had bad luck with reliability with that brand. They just don't seem to have the quality control for their products that I demand.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I still have them, but still planning on selling them. I'm just selling them because I do not use them anymore: It is as simple as that.

Does that issue really invalidate my opinion?

Stereodude

Not really a
I predict that under such competition, Canon will likely release a comparable product relatively soon rather than allow someone else (Sony) gain a competitive edge. Buying a Sony body and an adapter so you can use Canon lenses is just a short-term fix. I am also suspicious about anything Sony, regardless of specifications, for I've had bad luck with reliability with that brand. They just don't seem to have the quality control for their products that I demand.
I wouldn't bet on that. Nikon has been putting excellent autofocus in their DSLRs pretty much since the beginning and Canon only just seems to have finally decided that they don't need to gimp the systems in their less than top of the line cameras in order to push people to buy the top of the line pro models. Canon seems to develop cameras out of paranoia that a new camera might stop people from buying their top of the line pro models so they intentionally gimp the lower end models. All this to say that Canon won't bring out a new camera even if it would sell like wildfire if it would cannibalize an existing model (unless the new model is a replacement/refresh).

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I would argue that not wanting to cannibalize your own sales is different than allowing another company to take some of your market share with a better product.

Handruin

Administrator
What's a reasonable price for selling a 5D MKII with low usage? B&H will give me roughly $960 for it and eBay shows people asking anywhere from $900 -> $1400 for it. I don't know if it helps a sale but I recently had it cleaned and serviced through Canon professional services (with documentation to verify it is in proper working order).

LunarMist

I think you have the price range. Private sales may be a bit less than Ebay to avoid the hassles. A lot of people sell on photo forums. The fact that an item was recently serviced does not add very much value. Anew shutter and battery are nice to haves.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been doing a lot of narrow-DOF baby and animal photography lately. This last time I brought a Dell 30" monitor and hooked it up as an awesome live-view for focus, and it was a revelation. Next up is some way to have my assistant pull the focus while watching the screen while I concentrate on framing and the subject (who usually requires eye contact to make the shot). First I was looking at the wireless follow focus units out there, but don't want to spend more than the camera. Then I found one that uses the USB port on Canon DSLRs to control the lens motor remotely for $250. Looks really cool.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Edit: $250, not $400.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been doing a lot of narrow-DOF baby and animal photography lately. This last time I brought a Dell 30" monitor and hooked it up as an awesome live-view for focus, and it was a revelation. Next up is some way to have my assistant pull the focus while watching the screen while I concentrate on framing and the subject (who usually requires eye contact to make the shot). First I was looking at the wireless follow focus units out there, but don't want to spend more than the camera. Then I found one that uses the USB port on Canon DSLRs to control the lens motor remotely for $250. Looks really cool.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Edit: $250, not $400.

They had one with a blemish for $189. Should be here Monday.

ddrueding

Fixture
How sensitive are you guys to making sure all the light sources in a shot are the same color temperature? Trying to deal with multiple different artificial lights as well as trying to integrate with daylight.

I have all the sources in the master bedroom set to within 200k of each other, and are often within 500k of the daylight through the window. However the main room has halogen in-ceiling cans (much more yellow) along with massive windows without blinds. The cans also create some nasty shadows without some additional support. Of course, all my portable lights are more white.

Stereodude

Not really a
It all depends what I'm trying to do. You're pretty much guaranteed to have light sources that are different color temperatures unless you're shooting in a home "studio" with 100% controlled & artificial lighting.

ddrueding

Fixture
Example of mixed lighting in case someone doesn't know what I'm talking about. Large amount of natural light from the left side, halogen lights on the right.

_MG_7345.jpg

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm pretty sure you took this shot to show us the mixed light. But I'll still risk stating the obvious - don't get mad at me!

But when / where possible, you could position the subject so more of one type is on the critical parts like the face. Towards the large windows for natural light, or facing the inside for more of the halogen, etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm unlikely to get mad at anyone...not in my nature ;)

That wasn't intentional to show the mixed light, it was just a candid during dinner, but I did not bother with any setup or light adjustment. I normally get my white balance from an expodisc, and have been really happy with the results nearly all of the time.

LunarMist

Is anybody getting a few of these new CF cards? They are undoubtedly not the fastest, but two of them in the 1D-X would last a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddrueding

Fixture
The 128GB cards are still plenty big for me. I pull them early because I don't want to risk that many pictures of an event at the same time as it is.

LunarMist

Trip Post-Morton

Air Miles: 18,000 in 8 jet segments and 5 light aircraft segments
Other Travel: Boat and funky off-road vehicles
Exposures: 29,303 (771GB)
Physical Damage/Loss: 1 body/lens in the tidal pool, 1 tripod foot missing, ThinkTank cover over the cliff
Personal Injury: 2 bird (raptor) cranial assault impacts, 1 arm dislocation, 1 testicular trauma

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Trip Post-Morton

Physical Damage/Loss: 1 body/lens in the tidal pool, 1 tripod foot missing, ThinkTank cover over the cliff
Personal Injury: 2 bird (raptor) cranial assault impacts, 1 arm dislocation, 1 testicular trauma

Where did you travel?

ddrueding

Fixture
Trip Post-Morton

Sounds like a hell of a good time. I'm guessing Antarctica ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
That sounds like one odd NSA/CIA spying trip. ;)

Seriously though, who knew Lunar was a National Geographic photographer?

LunarMist

That sounds like one odd NSA/CIA spying trip. ;)

Seriously though, who knew Lunar was a National Geographic photographer?

No, I'm not a photographer. Due to my medical condition equipment was limited and the adverse weather was a serious hindrance.

LunarMist

The 128GB cards are still plenty big for me. I pull them early because I don't want to risk that many pictures of an event at the same time as it is.

Well, I meant that the two cards would be used in parallel.

Stereodude

Not really a
No, I'm not a photographer. Due to my medical condition equipment was limited and the adverse weather was a serious hindrance.
I'm so confused... You just got done telling us about the exposure count and photographic gear lost, but you're not a photographer? So you're the Sherpa for the gear, shoot supervisor, production director?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
:D No, I had an incident while climbing over the wired fence.
Yi carumba! OUCH!

The vet said I should be fine, and I was after a week.
Okay, well that's good ... though, if they had also started treating you for kenel cough, I'd be a little bit concerned about the prognosis

LunarMist

Yi carumba! OUCH!

Okay, well that's good ... though, if they had also started treating you for kenel cough, I'd be a little bit concerned about the prognosis

There was no treatment, just a basic diagnosis. There were no MDs on the trip and the planes don't fly at night.

LunarMist

I'm so confused... You just got done telling us about the exposure count and photographic gear lost, but you're not a photographer? So you're the Sherpa for the gear, shoot supervisor, production director?

Technically I was on holiday. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I cannot disclose the locations for two years. :cool:

I did a quick scan on the statue of limitations and can't find one that would give any clue.

Contempt of court - 1 year
All unspecified crimes - 5 years
Disorderly Conduct in Mississippi - 2 years

I wouldn't trust a Mississippi vet if I were you ;)

LunarMist

I did a quick scan on the statue of limitations and can't find one that would give any clue.

Contempt of court - 1 year
All unspecified crimes - 5 years
Disorderly Conduct in Mississippi - 2 years

I wouldn't trust a Mississippi vet if I were you ;)

Mississippi? Not even close. :D