dSLR thread

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well the site is pretty much worthless when it is running, so not much is lost. :D

Lots of other people/site refer to DxOMark as some type of reference. Too bad the web site itself sucks ass, at least on Firefox. Perhaps some firefox plugin is the problem. It's a lot better with IE 11.

How about http://www.photozone.de/ Seems to have decent reviews.

Seems some of the camera/lens review sites are exclusively Nikon or Canon or heavily focused one way or the other. Bias? Paid reviews? Some are just photographers reviewing the gear they own/use, hence the one sided focus.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Lots of other people/site refer to DxOMark as some type of reference. Too bad the web site itself sucks ass, at least on Firefox. Perhaps some firefox plugin is the problem. It's a lot better with IE 11.

How about http://www.photozone.de/ Seems to have decent reviews.

Seems some of the camera/lens review sites are exclusively Nikon or Canon or heavily focused one way or the other. Bias? Paid reviews? Some are just photographers reviewing the gear they own/use, hence the one sided focus.

The DXO lens test are particularly not useful. They take a composite score of composite scores.
Photozone, TDP, lenstip, etc. do at least some actual tests, not just reviews as some sites do.
The review by photographers seem to be the least reliable as they often get the equipment for free or just for reviews and cannot make any significant complaints about it.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical. $369 @ B&H.

If Nikon or Canon made this lens, auto-focus of course, with same resolution and chromatic aberration but with just a bit less distortion/vignetting they'd sell a bunch at $1200. I might drop $1500 if everything tested well. But, Canon/Nikon's updated 14mm will probably sell for $1800-2200. :cry:

Phozozone test.
Lenstip test.

Photozone..."Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED Aspherical UMC may be the surprise product of the season. It's very affordable yet performing up there with the very best big boys....Its primary strength is an extremely high resolution across the image frame combined with minimal CAs. There're few if any lenses which can rival the Samyang here which is nothing short of sensational for such an low cost product"

Lenstip..."What could be written here? To tell you the truth I would recommend even the previous version of the Samyang 2.8/14 without scruple. The improved model, although a bit more expensive, has really much more to offer. It’s enough to say that it definitely surpasses in image sharpness the expensive, professional Nikkor 14-24 mm f/2.8 set at 14 mm and also it corrects most of optical aberrations better than that lens."

Might be worth picking up even though it's manual focus and such as $369 is pretty inexpensive for a high resolution 14mm "speciality" lens, especially if you don't shoot anything with straight lines. :wink:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Final thought before purchase

/wall-o-text warning.

Where I'm at in my DSLR selection process:

1) Nikon for the body. D610 now then upgrade to D810 or future 50mp Nikon in the future. Nice D610 kit here for $1500.

2) I've confirmed with a friend that he's very willing to buy my used D610 early next year, so I have an "out" if I want to upgrade to a better system in the future, or if I end up "rarely using my DSLR anymore" like Merc or SD.

3) I'd like prime lenses at: 14*, 20, 28, 50mm for semi-evenly spaced angles-of-view of 114, 94, 75, 47 degrees. Start with 20 & 50mm then maybe get 14 & 28mm later. I'd also get a 105mm f/2.8 macro lens.

3a) The 16-35mm f/4 zoom could replace the 14/20/28mm primes above for greater versatility and save $800, but I'd lose a bit of resolution and lens speed. Not sure if I'd notice the loss of resolution @ 24mp but at 36mp or a future 50+mp Nikon body the lower resolution lenses might be less than ideal.

Any other thoughts/opinions?
Missing anything?

Better lens options than Nikon 20mm f/1.8g, 50mm f/1.8g, 105mm f/2.8 ED-IF VR?

tl;dr
Buy D610 kit, plus 20, 50, 105mm lenses ($3287.80), then sell early next year and upgrade. Thoughts?

D610 kit.
20mm.
50mm.
105mm.

*Nikon's 14mm lens is "not great" for what it cost, and having a $1800 lens (14-24mm) with a HUGE unprotected bulbous front element gives me pause. So I could go with the Samyang I mentioned in the previous post if I want to get an ultra-wide angle lens and not worry about killing it.

Handruin

Administrator
My apologies if I missed this in your posts but two other things you might want to consider in your budget is a decent camera bag and possibly theft/damage insurance.

I'm in the processes of converting my 5D MKIII into a cinematography camera rig for some projects I want to work on. I'm in a similar situation as SD and DD that I don't use my camera gear as often as I used to for still photography so I'm looking to repurpose it for other interests. My gear does get used by the fiancee for her business so I don't feel as bad not using it that frequently.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
My apologies if I missed this in your posts but two other things you might want to consider in your budget is a decent camera bag and possibly theft/damage insurance.

Yeah, the bag was the first thing, other than body/lenses I was thinking about. Gotta protect the goodies. The D610 kit link in my previous post comes with some type of bag. Don't know if it's decent or crap but if it's not big/good enough I can get an additional better one.

I meant to ask about insurance. The 50 and 105mm linked above come with "New Leaf 1 Year Drops & Spills Extra Protection, Lenses under $1, 500" The 20 and 105mm also offer upgraded plans: 3 Year Warranty with Drops & Spills Coverage for $26.95 each. Camera body insurance costs $80 for "3 Year Warranty with Drops & Spills Coverage" or $55 for "3 Year Repair or Replace Warranty"

The 50mm is only $200 so no worries, but the 20 and 105mm are $800 and the body is $1500 so $134 for 3-years on body/20mm/105mm might be worth it, or at least give me some piece of mind.

I'm in the processes of converting my 5D MKIII into a cinematography camera rig for some projects I want to work on. I'm in a similar situation as SD and DD that I don't use my camera gear as often as I used to for still photography so I'm looking to repurpose it for other interests. My gear does get used by the fiancee for her business so I don't feel as bad not using it that frequently.

I can see myself shooting video but it wouldn't be my main focus or anything I'd put a lot of effort into. Glad to see you are able to get more use out of your $2800 camera body. It sucks dropping a lot of cash on something, then never using it as much as the price suggests you should. Main reason I don't think I should jump right into the $3000 D810.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Lens filters.

Nikon, B+W, Hoya, Tiffen, etc, etc, etc. 800 brands. What's crap? What's "good, but you're paying for the name"? What's good w/decent price.

This link for the 16-35mm has two options. 1) Lens, USA-Warranty; and 2) Lens, USA-Warranty and 77mm UV filter. SAME PRICE. What's the story. Just different packaging from the vendor? One OEM vs. Retail? Any reason to just buy "lens only" option and buy separate filter?

Thanks.

LunarMist

I don't know what your subjects are that will work with all primes. In the 70s and 80s I used primes as did most people, because the zooms were slow and limited in IQ. However, switching lenses frequently and trying to find the perfect spot to match the composition is sometimes impossible and often inconvenient. Now I still use some primes, but mainly for special purposes such as T/S, macro or big teles. The 24-70+ and 70-200 range are well covered with high quality zooms except for some portraits, though the f/2.8 is sufficient in many cases. In macros, a 100/105 is fine for general use, but will be short for working with small critters.

Besides lenses and bodies, you will want a flash (or two), light modifiers, tripod/head, camera bag, enough memory cards for 2x a fill day of shooting, at least one spare battery, polarizing and perhaps ND filters, etc. These and other accessories add up fast, so plan for those both in cost and camera bag space. Retail insurance policies are usually unreliable. See what the options are for listing the higher valued items on your home insurance.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I don't know what your subjects are that will work with all primes. In the 70s and 80s I used primes as did most people, because the zooms were slow and limited in IQ. However, switching lenses frequently and trying to find the perfect spot to match the composition is sometimes impossible and often inconvenient.

You have made some very good points and I'm glad you did.

I feel like a dope because in the previous post I said I want, "w, x, y, z" primes but when I got to thinking about how I'd use each one I realized having a bunch of primes is probably not the way to go. Times have changed and so have I. I'm not a young buck in my teens to mid 20s anymore. I was framing how I was going to take pictures (and the needed equipment) by what I did in the past (early 80s thru mid 90s).

Now I still use some primes, but mainly for special purposes such as T/S, macro or big teles. The 24-70+ and 70-200 range are well covered with high quality zooms except for some portraits, though the f/2.8 is sufficient in many cases. In macros, a 100/105 is fine for general use, but will be short for working with small critters.

I think I'm just going to get the 16-35mm f/4 zoom and the 105mm macro to start. I can then just sell my "old" equipment to the friend, I mentioned in previous posts, who want to buy it. I can then upgrade later. Maybe by then I could honestly justify a D810, 14-24, & 24-70 lenses.

Besides lenses and bodies, you will want a flash (or two), light modifiers, tripod/head, camera bag, enough memory cards for 2x a fill day of shooting, at least one spare battery, polarizing and perhaps ND filters, etc. These and other accessories add up fast, so plan for those both in cost and camera bag space. Retail insurance policies are usually unreliable. See what the options are for listing the higher valued items on your home insurance.

Gotcha. I'll eventually need an off hot shoe flash setup for macro work. Tripod. Memory cards. Etc. The macro comes with this filter kit and includes UV, CP, and ND2. The zoom comes with a UV, but I can just get the 77mm this kit for $48 and I'll be all set. If they are no good I'll check this lenstip CP review article any buy another one.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Anybody have any SD memory card suggestions? I was thinking about just picking up a couple of these 64GB cards for $35/each. I don't plan on shooting high-speed bursts. But if there is way better value (faster/cheaper/larger) out there I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Should I get more, but smaller cards? Thoughts.

Much Thanks.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
That's an okay price. Last year during black Friday you could get the Sandisk Extreme Plus 64gB SDXC cards for $30 from several retailers so I bought a few. The Samsung 64gB Pro were even cheaper for one day at Amazon as I recall.

LunarMist

Don't buy cheap filters. Frankly you probably only need a polarizer to start with. UV filters are really only needed for harsh environments and ND mainly for moving water or videos. GND filters are another story, but not something to start with. Mostly I use SanDisk or Lexar memory cards in DSLRs though some Transcend CF in the past. The SanDisk Extreme Pro SD is the usually the best of that type.

LunarMist

Yes, if you're made of money or have no concern regarding the value or bang for the buck of your purchases.

$75 for 64GB is not exactly a major expense unless you need to buy a large number. :lol: That's about $0.035 per 24MP RAW image. 15-20 years ago film was 10x the price and of course single use.
It wasn't all that long ago when a 2GB CF card was $600. I typically use the 32GB cards in similar 24MP bodies as they are not for high volume use.
It may be possible to use slower cards for video.

In any case there should be a contingency plan for card failure, same as for HDD failure. It happens.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The site CameraMemorySpeed.Com has a very extensive review of CF and SD cards. They used up to 9 different card readers and also measure IN CAMERA write speed for various cameras. Seems the DSLRs write to the CF or SD card at 40-85% the speed vs the card readers.

For the D600 the write speeds (card reader vs camera) are:

-Sandisk Extreme Pro: 91 MB/s vs 45 MB/s.
-Sandisk Extreme: 45 MB/s vs 33 MB/s.

Read speeds in readers are aprox. 97 MB/s vs 47 MB/s.

-64 GB Extreme Pro: $75
-64 GB Extreme: $50 <<<---getting 2x of there here.

So for the D600 class camera the Pro cards won't help you "in-camera" as much as you would have expected vs the slower cards. Reading the cards is another story.

OTOH the 7Dii w/Extreme Pro cards has in camera writes of 75 MB/s so you're "closer" to getting you monies worth.

LunarMist

The site CameraMemorySpeed.Com has a very extensive review of CF and SD cards. They used up to 9 different card readers and also measure IN CAMERA write speed for various cameras. Seems the DSLRs write to the CF or SD card at 40-85% the speed vs the card readers.

For the D600 the write speeds (card reader vs camera) are:

-Sandisk Extreme Pro: 91 MB/s vs 45 MB/s.
-Sandisk Extreme: 45 MB/s vs 33 MB/s.

Read speeds in readers are aprox. 97 MB/s vs 47 MB/s.

-64 GB Extreme Pro: $75
-64 GB Extreme: $50 <<<---getting 2x of there here.

So for the D600 class camera the Pro cards won't help you "in-camera" as much as you would have expected vs the slower cards. Reading the cards is another story.

OTOH the 7Dii w/Extreme Pro cards has in camera writes of 75 MB/s so you're "closer" to getting you monies worth.

The D600 is fairly old. I bought a D7100 a while ago and it definitely benefits from faster cards (at least 60 MB/sec. writes). I don't know about the D610, but it looks like you are looking at the parameters. Buy a card or two and see how they work for you.

The 7D II uses UDMA 7 CF cards that are >50% faster than any of the SD cards save for the >200MB/sec. UHS II type. However, UHS II only achieves the high speed via extra contacts and are only supported in a few, mainly video-centric bodies. CF is basically a dead end as well, but it is unclear whether CFast 2 or XQD will win the future of the high-end cards for pro bodies. It's like the HD vs. Blue Rays video deal a few years ago.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Lunar I have a bunch of stuff in my Adorama shopping cart and ready to pull the trigger, but can you link or suggest a Circular Polarizer available/in-stock at Adorama. Specific model if you can. Not uber but not crap either. Need 77mm filter and maybe a 62mm as well if you think the CP filter included with this macro is crap. The same filter kit, but 77mm is this one here.

Thanks a WHOLE LOT!

P.S. If I shoot RAW + JPG (both largest size) @ 24mp that should give me 800 (R+J) images on a 64GB card? About right?

LunarMist

Lunar I have a bunch of stuff in my Adorama shopping cart and ready to pull the trigger, but can you link or suggest a Circular Polarizer available/in-stock at Adorama. Specific model if you can. Not uber but not crap either. Need 77mm filter and maybe a 62mm as well if you think the CP filter included with this macro is crap. The same filter kit, but 77mm is this one here.

Thanks a WHOLE LOT!

P.S. If I shoot RAW + JPG (both largest size) @ 24mp that should give me 800 (R+J) images on a 64GB card? About right?

I was busy ordering a few 5Ds/R bodies :D

If you shoot RAW+jpg then the buffer will take a hit, so you'd better use a decent card then. Normally I suggest a good Hoya multicoated polarizer or perhaps a Marumi. The B+W Kaesemann nano coated are good but expensive.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
MUCH THANKS Lunar. I'm going to have to send you a gift card or something for all the hand holding you've done for me. LMAO.

I was busy ordering a few 5Ds/R bodies :D

That's crazy. Well I guess not crazy for you. Did you buy your third, or was it your fourth, 200-400mm zoom yet? :-D :-D :-D

If you shoot RAW+jpg then the buffer will take a hit, so you'd better use a decent card then.

I'm going to get two of the 64GB Sandisk Extreme SD cards mentioned just above. I'll probably be out in the middle of the dessert shooting slowly, NO three minute long 6 FPS bursts or anything like that, so I should be ok. LOL. If I get 800 shots (R+J) per 64GB card I can either use the two slots and have in-camera backup or 1600 shots. Should be way more than enough.

Normally I suggest a good Hoya multicoated polarizer or perhaps a Marumi. The B+W Kaesemann nano coated are good but expensive.

I'm going to pick up this Hoya filter for $63. Pretty decent review on lenstip.com. If the included 62mm CP for the macro lens ain't great I'll spend 48$ for the 62mm Hoya CP filter for the macro.

My adorama cart:

-D610 body kit. Kit includes NIKON MB-D14 battery grip, extra NIKON EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery, NIKON WU-1b WIFI adapter and 16 GB SD card.
-16-35mm f/4 zoom. Comes with this UV filter.
-105mm f/2.8 macro. Comes with this 3 filter set (CP, UV, ND2).
-Hoya 77mm DMC PRO1 Digital Circular Polarizer Glass Filter. (good lenstip.com review)
-TWO 64GB Sandisk Extreme SD cards.

Just over $3450.

Edit: Just pulled the trigger. Sweet jesus that's a lot of dough for me. WOW!

Last edited:

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
As I own the D600, the faster cards make a noticeable difference.
I have two faster cards that I usually use. When I fill them I have a pair of slower bigger cards. I hate using the slower cards.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
As I own the D600, the faster cards make a noticeable difference.
I have two faster cards that I usually use. When I fill them I have a pair of slower bigger cards. I hate using the slower cards.

Thanks for the feedback Will. Good to know that the faster memory cards make a difference. If I can ask, what are you shooting to fill the buffer and forcing a noticeable difference? The D610 buffer should hold 8-10'ish RAW+JPG images? Do you have fast 30-40MB/s and really slow, say 10 MB/s cards? The Sandisk Extreme cards write 33 MB/s to a D600 so I shouldn't have to wait more than 2 sec per shot once the buffer is filled. Or am I missing something?

What accessories have you bought for your D600 that you find very useful? I plan on landscape, nature, macro shooting, at least in the beginning.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I mostly shoot my kids sports and other events. Dubbed the team photographer for a number of years now in baseball. Recently tried a bit of basketball (hello ISO 3200). Started with Soccer. I sometimes do party type situations - mostly I take pictures of the kids. I do occasionally do some nature type stuff. I basically treat any outing as a photo opportunity.

You notice the speed in shooting and in reviewing. And definitely in transferring.

The cards I have are:
Fast - Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB 95MB/s
Slow - Sandisk Ultra 64GB 30MB/s

I don't have a lot of accessories.
I use:
* Spare Battery - not even listed as this is just assumed.
1. Cheapo tripod
2. Remote for Shutter Release
3. Tiltable Flash with Diffuser
4. Polarizing/UV filters
5. Lens cleaning brush / pen / cloth.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
You notice the speed in shooting and in reviewing. And definitely in transferring.

The cards I have are:
Fast - Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB 95MB/s
Slow - Sandisk Ultra 64GB 30MB/s

Good info. I'll stay away from the slower cards.

I don't have a lot of accessories.
I use:
* Spare Battery - not even listed as this is just assumed.
1. Cheapo tripod
2. Remote for Shutter Release
3. Tiltable Flash with Diffuser
4. Polarizing/UV filters
5. Lens cleaning brush / pen / cloth.

Pretty much what I was figuring as well. I plan on eventually 2 tripods. Standard size and a smaller one for macro work. Didn't think about #2 but would be useful for macro work to get away from camera in case my shadow casts on subject. I'll definitely need some type of flash and off hot-shoe bracket for macro work. Have #4 and #5.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
"In stock and ready to ship" with "Express 1-3 day" shipping from Adorama is going to take 8 and 9 days to arrive (two boxes). Sigh. No fun this weekend :(

They called my home to verify purchase, don't know if that's normal, never had a merchant do that. I gave them my "rarely used burner phone number" but they called my home number. Although that phone number is listed w/bank it's not the primary one, so maybe bank told Adorama that phone number provided wasn't the PRIMARY number so they got suspicious?

I was sleeping (I work nights) and got message when I woke up. Called their 888 number and guy answers phone, "Hello this is Joe Blow" no other identification. And I was like, Ummmmm "Is this Adorama"? Whole call sounded/felt awkward.

Got one order confirmation email with a "check order status" link on Sunday, shortly after order placed. "Check order status" link didn't work then, and still doesn't work. You have to go to site and login to check order status.

No email with tracking info for box #1 (everything except for one lens). Had to call and navigate their automated system to get tracking number.

Wanted to cancel back-ordered lens because I was worried that It wouldn't ship before Nikon sale ended and I've have to pay full-price (additional $260), but couldn't because an included filter shipped in other box.

Only got email/tracking # for box #2.

Maybe me just being OCD/Paranoid/impatient but is wasn't a great web ordering experience. Probably won't use them again. I only went with them over B&H because their "kit" included NIKON accessories/batteries not generic ones.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, sometimes Amazon is just better. Ordered my 7DII Wednesday afternoon. On the table charging now. The 100-400 II won't arrive til the middle of next week, though.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yup, sometimes Amazon is just better. Ordered my 7DII Wednesday afternoon. On the table charging now. The 100-400 II won't arrive til the middle of next week, though.

Yep. My packages are on the way at least. And if all the correct things get here in perfect shape I'll relax a bit.

I think you are going to have fun with the 100-400mm. Better than the Nikon 80-400 4.5-5.6/VR. I better stop looking at Canon lens test reports or I'm going to regret going Nikon. HEHEHEH.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I went ahead and bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.4G lens. I always wanted a f/1.4. A 24mm, 35mm or 85mm f/1.4 would be $1500-2200 so those are out. Only thing left if the 50mm.

It's $150 more than the f/1.8G version. The 1.8 is a tiny bit sharper in the center but the 1.4 is a tiny-tiny bit sharper in the corners. Overall the 1.8 is a tiny-tiny bit sharper, has a fraction less distortion and less chromatic aberrations. It's so close that individual lens variation could account for the difference. Nearly identical according to photozone.de.

I'm going to give Best Buy a shot. Crazy I know. Bought a couple of filters as well.

-Nikon 50mm f/1.4G.
-58mm Platinum* CP filter.
-58mm Platinum* UV filter.
-1 yr. accidental damage.

$350 + $30 + $20 + $40 +34(tax) = $474.

At least now I won't have such a large "hole" between the 16-35mm and 105mm macro. I also need to ---STOP--- buying stuff at 4:30am. LOL.

*Supposedly semi-decent filters made for Best Buy by Sunpak. We'll see about that.

LunarMist

I went ahead and bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.4G lens. I always wanted a f/1.4. A 24mm, 35mm or 85mm f/1.4 would be $1500-2200 so those are out. Only thing left if the 50mm.

It's $150 more than the f/1.8G version. The 1.8 is a tiny bit sharper in the center but the 1.4 is a tiny-tiny bit sharper in the corners. Overall the 1.8 is a tiny-tiny bit sharper, has a fraction less distortion and less chromatic aberrations. It's so close that individual lens variation could account for the difference. Nearly identical according to photozone.de.

I'm going to give Best Buy a shot. Crazy I know. Bought a couple of filters as well.

-Nikon 50mm f/1.4G.
-58mm Platinum* CP filter.
-58mm Platinum* UV filter.
-1 yr. accidental damage.

$350 + $30 + $20 + $40 +34(tax) = $474.

At least now I won't have such a large "hole" between the 16-35mm and 105mm macro. I also need to ---STOP--- buying stuff at 4:30am. LOL.

*Supposedly semi-decent filters made for Best Buy by Sunpak. We'll see about that.

I don't know why you insist on putting cheesy UV filters in front of the lens. Are they even fully multicoated? Digital sensors are much more sensitive to reflections than film ever was and there are built in UV/IR filters.
You are not using Ektachrome any more.

ddrueding

Fixture
24/1.4 has been my favorite lens for nearly a year. Easy to compose and easy to make pretty pictures. One of the big reasons for going from the 7D to the 7DII was the faster and more accurate autofocus. The hit rate @ f1.4 has at least doubled.

LunarMist

24/1.4 has been my favorite lens for nearly a year. Easy to compose and easy to make pretty pictures. One of the big reasons for going from the 7D to the 7DII was the faster and more accurate autofocus. The hit rate @ f1.4 has at least doubled.

I had a 7D II. It was really disappointing for a 2014 body and mediocre in all but build quality and FPS. Make sure you thoroughly test the AF. It's fast, but not repeatable enough for serious use.
Some people have reported improved results after a trip or two to Canon service. They really should have a service advisory or a recall eventually.
The old D7100 had better IQ and now that the D7200 is out the gap is even wider. I'm not sure why one would put a fine lens as the 24/1.4 II on such a body as the 7D, but I recall you have some deal with Canon.
In Canon I'm planning to use 5DsR bodies in decent light and crop for reach as needed (the pixel pitch is the same as the 70D/7D II). Then I'll use 1D X bodies when not reach limited and in lower light.

ddrueding

Fixture
Not sure what you mean by "repeatable"?

The camera seems fine after a day of playing with it, but my standards are clearly lower. Perhaps the 7DII shipping today already have the fix you alluded to?

As for why I got another Canon, I don't intend to run two systems or sell/purchase all my lenses.

I am selling the 7DI and some other stuff, but have given first dibs to a local friend I'm trying to get into the hobby. If he doesn't take it all there will be deals to be had in the FS section.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I don't know why you insist on putting cheesy UV filters in front of the lens. Are they even fully multicoated? Digital sensors are much more sensitive to reflections than film ever was and there are built in UV/IR filters.
You are not using Ektachrome any more.

I don't really know how good any of the filters I bought are yet. Mainly going to use the UV for lens protection when the CP isn't attached. It's only $20 so if it's worthless no big deal.

It's been 20 years since I took a DSLR picture so I probably have some old habits to unlearn ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
100-400II is amazing (particularly on a crop body) even with the 2x extender on it. Moderate indoor lighting is still enough to hand hold 400x2 f11 @ 16000 ISO and get a usable image. Amazing image stabilization.

LunarMist

100-400II is amazing (particularly on a crop body) even with the 2x extender on it. Moderate indoor lighting is still enough to hand hold 400x2 f11 @ 16000 ISO and get a usable image. Amazing image stabilization.

It's better on FF and without a TC. :) I will say that the 100-400 II is the first f/5.6 zoom I've used that produces acceptable IQ with a 1.4x. It's not acceptable for me with a 2x.

I told you the IS was good/ http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/6694-dSLR-thread?p=184076&viewfull=1#post184076

ddrueding

Fixture
I believed you, one of the reasons I bought it. ;) Now I can sell my 100/2 and the Sigma 150-500.

I'm building out a carry-on sized pelican case for smaller projects and a checked-luggage one for larger projects (bigger tripod, lighting, video/audio stuff, etc).

Based on my current inventory, it has the following:

7DII
24/1.4
17-40
100-400II
180 Macro
2x tele
GoPro Hero4 Black
Zoom H1 Microphone
Anker 2nd Gen Astro E7 USB battery (25.6Ah)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 in Otter Box
Misc batteries/cables/adapters/stands

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

100-400mm + 2x extender + 1.6x crop-factor = 320-1280mm f/11. (if my maths correct)
That's some SERIOUS reach. I'm jealous of your 1000+mm reach. The Nikon 80-400mm is $500 more and not quite as good.

What shutter speed are you hand-holding 1280mm at? Are you getting 4-stops of IS or closer to 2-3?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
My camera goodies arrived early this week...

My camera goodies arrived early this week... In three boxes.

Two from Adorama and one from Best Buy. Best Buy box only contained the 50mm lens. One Adorama box only contained the 16-35mm zoom. The small boxes were packed with excellent padding and arrived in good shape.

The Big Adorama box is were I almost died. The big box contained; D610 body & 105mm macro lens. Also in the big box were additional accessories; battery grip, memory card, wireless adapter, extra battery, camera bag, plus some extra SD cards and filters.

See photos:
z top-rear.jpg
z top-side.jpg
z inside-box.jpg
z bottom-tape1.jpg
z bottom-tape2.jpg
z top-tape1.jpg
z top-tape2.jpg
z top-tape2a.jpg

HORRIBLE box taping. Yes the tape was that bad. A little more tape please. The string in the tape was the only thing holding the box closed :(

LUCKILY and AMAZINGLY everything was still in the box. A SD card or filter could have easily slid out the open sides. All the small items should have been placed in their own box inside the big box.

The air bags were packed on all six side so at least that was good but there wasn't enough to keep things from bouncing around and shifting during shipping.

Very unimpressed with Adorama. From web-site to order to email notification to two phone calls to order packing and shipping. Probably won't use them again save a HUGE exclusive sale.