I want to buy a new car

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Wood what? Trim, flooring, frame (like Morgans)?
If interior auto trim, GM plastic wood looks new after 9+ years; can't detect any changes in my '06. NB: It isn't on any wear surfaces.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Oops! My car apparently has real wood trim. I just assumed it was faux.
However, my aunt's 2003 Buick had some interior wood trim (real or fake IDK), and I never noticed it having a problem - and that car was parked outdoors without any shade for 6+ years.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Wood what? Trim, flooring, frame (like Morgans)?
If interior auto trim, GM plastic wood looks new after 9+ years; can't detect any changes in my '06. NB: It isn't on any wear surfaces.

It's in various places on the interior trim. I may have to get wood to have some other options in the packages.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't think a decade is too much to expect from an interior these days. The glass has UV filters and and the cabins are pretty well insulated (less extreme temps).

LunarMist

Thanks. Now I have radio questions. What are the real differences between XM, Sirius and HD? My limited understanding is that the HD is terrestrial and XM is extraterrestrial, but I don't know about the Sirius. Do they all sound the same? Some cars seem to have all three services, but on others it is not clear. They all seem to be free initially for a few months and then not. It was simpler when there was only AM/FM and a few had 8 tracks. :D

Stereodude

Not really a
Siriius and XM merged. Both are satellite radio. They're technically the same company now. HD radio generally has better sound quality and is free. Personally, you couldn't pay me to listen to Sirius/XM. To me the fidelity is terrible.

LunarMist

Siriius and XM merged. Both are satellite radio. They're technically the same company now. HD radio generally has better sound quality and is free. Personally, you couldn't pay me to listen to Sirius/XM. To me the fidelity is terrible.

Wow! That's the opposite of what one would intuitively expect. :(

LunarMist

The Chrysler is off the list, but I'm concerned about this.
Are all cars eventually doomed?

LunarMist

Yep... until auto manufacturers move back to less integrated designs...

That will be far too late for me. :(

How does the hacking work, is there a terrorist driving nearby or would they hack through my cell phone? IOW, does the hacking stop if my cell phone is off or is it too late?
I just want to be using the BT in the car for phone calls, not any of the other nonsense. I suppose that is impossible. I wish the GPS could be user disabled, but I read that is not an option either.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
The issue with the Chryslers is that they had a cellular connection built in with no firewall as I understand it.
I would say if your car doesn't have a cellular connection or any other wireless connection a hacker would probably need physical access.

ddrueding

Fixture
Indeed. The Chrysler hack used the cellular network (I forget which one) that is built into the car, so you don't need to be anywhere near the car to hack it. WiFi hacks would probably be easier.

Handruin

Administrator

My experience has been the same with Siriius/XM satellite radio. The quality and connection has been terrible and even when it was provided for free during the trial I've rarely ever listened to it. I've enjoyed some stations that tune in with HD radio. The quality is much better than Siriius/XM and worth it for free.

LunarMist

I'm reaching the conclusion that cars are worse for the most part than they were 3-4 years ago. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
Better and worse I think. The cars are better by most standards; more reliable, more efficient, more powerful. But not making gains as quickly as the technology we are used to. Still gains.

LunarMist

The visibility is shit as are many of the controls. It's like you need a copilot to manage the iPad in the console.
Of course there are mechanical improvements over the years. I feel there should be a front camera with some of these cars since the bumpers are vestigial.

ddrueding

Fixture
The pedestrian safety standards are forcing the bumper and front of the hood up on most cars. The higher beltline (side windows that don't start until your shoulders) certainly feels restrictive, but I don't think it actually effects visibility that much. I know I don't have eyes in my shoulders.

LunarMist

The pedestrian safety standards are forcing the bumper and front of the hood up on most cars. The higher beltline (side windows that don't start until your shoulders) certainly feels restrictive, but I don't think it actually effects visibility that much. I know I don't have eyes in my shoulders.

I had no idea there was a concern about pedestrians. That must be something relatively new, but it makes sense. ;)

My head is somewhat misshapen and my eyes are in a strange place, but it's not enough to account for the difference.

I have been told to stop obsessing about the cars and just buy one.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think it's one of those things where if you were really particular you'd already know which one you want. Since that isn't the case, just start with the size of car and amount of money before looking at wirecutter and picking the one that suits you.

LunarMist

I'm so particles that I'm not very happy with the options. 2 of 3 are not out yet for 2016. How long does one wait with Elephantiasis in the room?

ddrueding

Fixture
For the most part I buy cars like computer parts. I wait until I need one, then I buy the best out at that moment. The improvements are (typically) incremental enough that it isn't worth worrying about.

LunarMist

For the most part I buy cars like computer parts. I wait until I need one, then I buy the best out at that moment. The improvements are (typically) incremental enough that it isn't worth worrying about.

You buy computer parts like a biological function, seemingly every day. :lol: I'm not sure how many are from personal funds.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
My current lease is up soon.
I want to buy a Chevy Volt but am considering whether to extend my current lease so I can wait for the 2016 volt or buy one of the 2015 or maybe even a used one.

LunarMist

How many miles do you need to drive to gain an advantage over Cruze?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
In pure dollars/mile? It will be less expensive for sure. But some estimates are many years. Depends on how much electric you drive and how much gas costs.
I want an electric car to reduce dependence on non-renewable energy.

LunarMist

In pure dollars/mile? It will be less expensive for sure. But some estimates are many years. Depends on how much electric you drive and how much gas costs.
I want an electric car to reduce dependence on non-renewable energy.

I can understand going electric for the principle. :)
I was doing the math for a relative driving ~12K and it would take about 5-7 years of hybrid driving to break even on TCO. After that the savings would not be so great anyway.
I drive less than that so a hybrid is completely pointless. Much of the problem is that the newer ICE only vehicles are becoming more fuel efficient each year so the relative difference in costs of fuel are less and less. It would be nice to see some reasonably upscale cars with ~50 mile battery range.

LunarMist

I just want a V6 that runs on regular gas. Probiotics gave me gas, but of a different kind.

I'll probably wait until November now to look at the cars since 2016 is not ready yet and I have PTO in September and October.
I need to focus on the big mammals now.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Whales? Or do you consider Elephants big enough?

A 100-400 II is fine for whales and less of a loss risk of flying overboard.

Elephants could be done use any lens from a wide to a long tele, depending on the distance. Ellies and giraffes are good subjects for a 70-200 to cover a range as they are moving towards the camera.

LunarMist

What's the story on LED headlights? Are they as bright as the HID, and how is the color and reliability? So many of the flashlights have putrid colors and die prematurely.