I want to buy a new car

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It has to be coming from somewhere, perhaps flowing from an adjacent area. There's no magic infinite supply, but there may be more than estimated.
Maybe the coal mines will refill next or the gold mines...
Supposedly there's enough gold in the iron core of the Earth to cover the planet in a layer about 12-13 feet thick. Of course, if we were able to get at it that would make gold practically worthless. Along the same lines of thought however we may well start mining asteroids within our lifetimes. That would drastically reduce the value of many precious metals, assuming we can mine them relatively cheaply.

Due to the type of work I do there are only limited opportunities in the US and most of them are concentrated on the outskirts of greater urban areas. Of course a lot of jobs can be done from home and I'd consider that, but the goal then would be to find an area where the cost of living is low, not a major city. I'd give up a car for an SUV and move to the far suburbs/rural areas if possible. This spring I drove over 2500 miles on vacation and it was quite nice. It sure is different driving a car back and forth to work in heaving traffic compared to cruising with 75MPH speed limits.

That's exactly the conundrum. In places where people typically live or work driving sucks. In the few places where it's nice, there's literally nothing there. Sure, you can go for hours through some middle states at 75 mph or better. I would just never have any good reason to be there. I never go on vacations anyway. Never could afford it, don't have anyone to go with, plus there's no reasonably way to travel. I don't drive, refuse to fly (and due to not driving couldn't get to many airports anyway), and most Amtrak routes are far too slow. That's why I've been a big proponent of a national high-speed rail system. Great for people like me, great for business travel, great for vacation travel. Maybe in my lifetime the day will come I can board a train in NYC, then arrive at the West Coast maybe 15 hours later.

For medical reasons I'm not supposed to ride a bike.

Can you give more details? Biking is often recommended even when other types of exercise are too damaging for the body. Hard to think of any scenario were a doctor would medically recommend against biking.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you give more details? Biking is often recommended even when other types of exercise are too damaging for the body. Hard to think of any scenario were a doctor would medically recommend against biking.

You should think harder.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Not that it is the case, but what if I weighed 350 lbs. Suffered from the hemooroids and had heart diseased? Dying in the streets or passing out from exertion and being run over would not be a gods idea.
I could think of numerous other reasons including back problems, dementia/Alzenheiners, MS, MD, ataxia, etc.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I found some random guy on the South Side of Chicago selling a 2011 Element with 304 (three hundred four) miles on it, for $10,500. He said the first owner was 82 years old and drove it in to the side of her garage about a week after she got it, so there's some body damage, but as it happens, I could get a whole bunch of Element body panels pretty easily.
First, that's kind of a suspicious story and second, it's just some guy on the south side of Chicago (over by Midway, in case timwhit reads this).
On the other hand, that's a ridiculously good price and the mileage is so low that I'd be crazy not to at least go look at it, right?

I suppose I'd also have to figure out some kind of loan and escrow setup, since I don't particularly want to write a check for $10k.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Not that it is the case, but what if I weighed 350 lbs. Suffered from the hemooroids and had heart diseased? Dying in the streets or passing out from exertion and being run over would not be a gods idea.
I could think of numerous other reasons including back problems, dementia/Alzenheiners, MS, MD, ataxia, etc.
Most of those conditions would preclude a person from safely driving as well, particularly dementia, MS, MD, heart disease, and ataxia.

It's a complete misnomer though about "exertion" being an issue. It's not necessary to use any more energy riding a bike than walking if you so choose. Granted, that will mostly likely mean ~10 mph speeds but the point is riding a bike needn't be any more physically exerting than driving. Also, they have e-bikes for those who are in less than great physical shape.

A balance issue or being 350 pounds might be good reasons, though. Most bikes can't deal with 350 pound riders.

Back issues? A velomobile is the answer to that. Some also give you quite a nice speed boost over a normal bike. The Milan SL can cruise at 45-50 mph with a strong rider.

Once I'm done with my latest consulting gig, probably within a few years, meaning I can get back to riding in a serious way, I'm buying a Milan SL, or whatever is the fastest velomobile then.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I found some random guy on the South Side of Chicago selling a 2011 Element with 304 (three hundred four) miles on it, for $10,500. He said the first owner was 82 years old and drove it in to the side of her garage about a week after she got it, so there's some body damage, but as it happens, I could get a whole bunch of Element body panels pretty easily.
First, that's kind of a suspicious story and second, it's just some guy on the south side of Chicago (over by Midway, in case timwhit reads this).
On the other hand, that's a ridiculously good price and the mileage is so low that I'd be crazy not to at least go look at it, right?

I suppose I'd also have to figure out some kind of loan and escrow setup, since I don't particularly want to write a check for $10k.

Bring it to a reputable autoshop and have them inspect it?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I would try to chew them down first before worrying about financing. Good price or not, most people are amenable to negotiation if they have something they just want to get rid of. I would also keep the old Element as a parts car given that things will eventually need replacing if you plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Bring it to a reputable autoshop and have them inspect it?

Exactly. I would suspect the vehicle has never been serviced, so would be looking at a major service straight up to ensure all fluids have been replaced, and especially get the fuel and exhaust systems checked. (extremely low mileage vehicles will tend to have rust through out the exhaust system).

Ensure get the mechanic to look for signs that the odometer may have been rewound...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

As someone who regularly buys and sells stuff, you are much more likely to get a good deal if the seller can get their money all up front. Your bank would likely give you a loan based on the value of the vehicle and whatever deposits you have. Credit unions tend to have better rates than other banks.

Be sure to have the car checked out by a mechanic you trust . Any serious seller would be willing to take it a reasonable distance to your mechanic, or let you. You would pay the fee.

LunarMist

That seems like a scam to me. Either the miles or wrong or the car is badly damaged or something.
OTOH, private sales are usually paid in full, not on a loan basis.

LunarMist

As long as insurance is paying for it... What is the problem with the Impala

LunarMist

I've only rented a few Town Cars, but they drove and rode just fine. Parking was the nightmare. ;)

LunarMist

At least you've found something NOT to buy...

I'd really like to know about the Impala since the reviews are generally positive. Of course who knows what condition a rental is in and they often have the crappy, weaker engines, very few options, etc.

When I used to do a lot of travel for work, many years ago, I had the pleasure to driving a lot of different rentals. Made you appreciate how good and bad some cars really are.

The problem I have lately is that my old car still drives smoother/quieter and is more comfortable and well equipped than most all rentals I get.

Mercutio

As long as insurance is paying for it... What is the problem with the Impala

86,000 miles on it. Suspension feels like it's run over a few deer or something. Someone either smoked in it or used it to commute to a cigar factory. Automatic-nothing. I didn't even know you could still get cars where you have to actually turn a crank to roll a window down. Granted that it was probably the last car on the lot at 6PM on a Friday, but still.

It does give me flashbacks to the days I had a Crown Vic. Black Impalas are cop cars around here, so everyone's brake lights come on as soon as I show up in their mirrors.

I'm hoping I can get a 2010 Element from a dealer for $15k or thereabouts. I think Chewy's probably right that an extremely low mileage vehicle is probably too high a risk. I'm going to go buy a car on Friday one way or the other.

LunarMist

86,000 miles on it. Suspension feels like it's run over a few deer or something. Someone either smoked in it or used it to commute to a cigar factory. Automatic-nothing. I didn't even know you could still get cars where you have to actually turn a crank to roll a window down. Granted that it was probably the last car on the lot at 6PM on a Friday, but still.

Damn, I've never heard of a rental with that much mileage. :( Maybe it was a staff car.
At some point electric windows may have become cheaper than manual, because you don't see the latter anymore.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie

It does give me flashbacks to the days I had a Crown Vic. Black Impalas are cop cars around here, so everyone's brake lights come on as soon as I show up in their mirrors.

I'm hoping I can get a 2010 Element from a dealer for $15k or thereabouts. I think Chewy's probably right that an extremely low mileage vehicle is probably too high a risk. I'm going to go buy a car on Friday one way or the other.

Did you go to Uncle Bob's Auto Rental? I rent from Enterprise and the cars are always very new and clean.

LunarMist

My aunt had one of those once. My uncle hated driving it. In his own words, it was "like driving a sofa".

It's not really a car for the driver, but mostly for the passenger. Do you not take car service or limos?
Of course the way I expect David drives passengers might be tossing their coolies. ;)

LunarMist

Well, they don't make the Panther vehicles anymore, so it would not be a Town Car. Apparently there will be a new Continental that may become the future of the upscale carservice/limos.

Mercutio

New(er) Element is a 4WD 2011 EX model with 60k miles on it. I paid $16k, which isn't wholly unreasonable. It has painted body panels instead of plastic but I'm thinking about swapping them off my old one. I like the tupperware better anyway. My other major contender had a salvage title and I just wasn't sure I wanted to deal with that.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It has painted body panels instead of plastic but I'm thinking about swapping them off my old one. I like the tupperware better anyway.
I wouldn't do that if I were you. It will negatively affect the value of your vehicle as it won't have genuine body parts. Plus, while the Element didn't change much over its existence, the 2003 panels might not fit exactly on the 2011 model. A mm here and there will affect the tightness of body panels and increase gaps where mud and calcium-filled snow can penetrate and create long term damages to the frame and other components.

ddrueding

Fixture
Who, the dealers or manufacturers?

I suspect he meant on a broader scale. Society and most of the country are designed in such a way that existing without a car is a significant disability (insert JTR here, I said "most" ;)).
Further, safety and luxury items make cars make weigh several tons which means they need lots of power to move their mass. Then you need super-complex systems to try to make these more powerful engines as efficient as possible which also prevent normal humans from maintaining them. Combine the mandatory safety and emissions systems and even an entry-level car costs a huge percentage of the minimum wage.