GPU folding is here!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
To late, the projects have been fixed so no more QRB. I'm still waiting to find out if I get the QRB for the WU's I got.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
All you need to do is client-type = advanced or beta and make sure you do not have a previous AMD Core_17 driver (very unlikely, since they were only released during previous alpha testing) and it should DL the core and run.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
You can see some results and expected ppd for the GTX 1080 in this thread : https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28784&start=51

Forum member Torin3 posted results for his GTX 1080 under Windows. Results under Linux should be 10-15% higher according to some FAH forum members. The GTX 1070 should yield results close to the GTX 1080, while costing much less. This graph at Ars Technica shows that the GTX 1070 is roughly 11% slower than the GTX 1080 in FAH Bench 1.2. Were're looking at +600K ppd for 380U$. Probably even more with upcoming driver optimizations and depending on the WU.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I assume you'll run the client under Windows? I'm eager to see the results.

My next system will be Linux only. I'm worried about the stability of the AMD drivers for the FAH client under Linux.

I hesitate between the RX 480 and the GTX 1070. Both are scarse and overpriced at the moment (here at least). I'll wait a few weeks before I move.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Yup, on Windows.

Not sure what the pricing is in Canada, but here it's a choice between spending $250 and spending around $430. Wait a couple of weeks, see how the custom cooled 480 cards overclock, and then decide. The 480 seems to perform closer to a 980 in the DX12 game benchmarks.

CougTek

Serial computer killer

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Did you buy them already, or you're planning to?

Apparently, the RX 480 yields around 300K ppd with the FAH client. About the same as a GTX 970. Half of a GTX 1070 (but also much more affordable).

Ordered from Newegg, they should be here on Wed. They decided to do their annual inventory count on the day of release so had to wait till this week....refunded the 2 day shipping I paid for.

Stereodude

Not really a
Ordered from Newegg, they should be here on Wed. They decided to do their annual inventory count on the day of release so had to wait till this week....refunded the 2 day shipping I paid for.
I hope you don't blow your PCIe slot up from excessive power draw.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Looks like undervolting to 1.05v for power states 6 and 7 using Wattman actually improves performance by allowing it to remain at boost clock for longer, in addition to reducing load on the PCI-E slots. There's also something you can run in Afterburner to swing the draw over to the 6 pin power connector if you don't want to undervolt:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699

http://www.overclock.net/t/1604979/...lot-power-draw-for-the-reference-rx-480-cards

I'll be going with the undervolting option.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like AMD made a response regarding the PCIe power problem:

91fb287a15.png

Reddit discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4rgr13/official_amd_pcie_statement_and_new_driver_1671/

Handruin

Administrator
The home of rabid foaming at the mouth fanboys isn't the place I'd be going for any sort of salient discussion or good information.

Fair enough. I meant it more of citing a source of the above image more than a recommendation of participation in that thread. There are some useful posts in there if you feel like skimming.

Stereodude

Not really a
Supposedly the Nvidia GTX 1060 will be announced tomorrow and start shipping on the 14th. It's supposed to be about GTX 980 fast (& faster than the RX 480) and come in 3GB and 6GB flavors. Not sure how it will compare for folding.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The GTX 1060 is about half a GTX 1080. Since the GTX 1080 yields between 700K and 800K ppd, I expect the GTX 1060 to give almost 400K ppd. This is more than the RX 480, according to the reports I've read.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Pradeep, if the ~25K ppd you actually produce are done with your new RX 480, running full time, then something is wrong. Did you forget to enter your passkey in the client config? You should produce ten times more points than this.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Pradeep, if the ~25K ppd you actually produce are done with your new RX 480, running full time, then something is wrong. Did you forget to enter your passkey in the client config? You should produce ten times more points than this.

Thanks Coug, no worries, that's just what my 5960k is producing.

Just installed the 480s an hour or so ago, went into FAHControl and added an additional GPU slot and she seems to be cranking. I went with my mobo manual recommendation to use the top two pci-e slots for 16x on both, however this is causing one of the cards to run up to the 90C max, while the other one sits at around 78C. They come factory OCd to 1266 MHz so attempting to undervolt caused a crash pretty quick. Will burn them in at stock speeds and wait for the AMD driver fix before trying to push higher.

Right now FAHControl is predicting about 309000 ppd for the cool running gpu and 266000 for the hotter one that's throttling as needed to stay at or below 90C. Still early in the work unit at around 13% complete.

Will prob separate them tomorrow to give more spacing, I don't think running one in 8x mode will hurt performance too much compared to the throttling I'm seeing now.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So today I learnt that the MSI X99A Gaming 7 is completely shit for Crossfire. The only workable config is to have both card wedged up directly against each other in pci slots 1 and 3. Attempting to use slot 5 for the second gpu results in interference with the mobo headers at the bottom of the mobo. *cries*

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I set the hot running card to 3000 rpm on the fan and that's dropped it down to around 84 degrees. I'll keep this mother board and just make a better choice for the next build.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So the GTX 1060 has been announced, 6 GB, $299 for Founders edition and $249 for normal cards. Reports that this card isn't SLI capable if that matters to you. Awaiting benchmarks.

Handruin

Administrator
So today I learnt that the MSI X99A Gaming 7 is completely shit for Crossfire. The only workable config is to have both card wedged up directly against each other in pci slots 1 and 3. Attempting to use slot 5 for the second gpu results in interference with the mobo headers at the bottom of the mobo. *cries*

I had a similar problem with my mining machine and had to wedge my two 290X cards right next to each other. That machine I just left the fans at 100% to keep it as cool as possible but it was in the basement. The top-most card always ran 8-10C warmer.

With my GTX 980's I setup MSI's afterburner software with a dynamic temp monitoring and fan speed adjusted to ramp up quickly when folding to keep them as cool as possible. I don't usually run folding when I'm at my machine so for me having high fan speeds near 80-90% while I'm away is fine. I'm not sure if that works for you though.