question New Computer

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I will order the P1000 this week depending on the Boston-Miami incident.
I would be able to use the video card for a couple of years in a different computer with updates, right?

Yes. NVidia supports its Quadro models for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if they still produce drivers for the P1000 in 8 years.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes. NVidia supports its Quadro models for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if they still produce drivers for the P1000 in 8 years.

Thanks. The P1000 is not working with the KVM, but perhaps that is due to the DP to DVD cable. It is surprising how small the video card is compared to the old fanless GeForce.
I have an inherent distrust of the weenie little fans and whatever happens when they fail.

LunarMist

Thanks. The P1000 is not working with the KVM, but perhaps that is due to the DP to DVD cable. It is surprising how small the video card is compared to the old fanless GeForce.
I have an inherent distrust of the weenie little fans and whatever happens when they fail.

I replaced the cable with a mini-DP to DVI adapter. I also have another of those on the NUC and HMDI to DVI for the Lenovo, so four computers are working on the old KVM now. :)

LunarMist

Looks like the CPU you're waiting for is the i9-7920X, maybe late next month.

So do you already have one for evaluation? :lol:

Thanks, but it's not exactly what I had hoped. 12 is too many cores. I'd rather have less cores and more speed, but it looks like the CPUs with fewer than 10 cores have crippled PC lanes. :(
I assume the configuration is based on the server architecture, so that is what you get. I wonder if the 10-core version is a defective 12 core with the others disabled. I might get than one.
I will also be interested in performance per core at 4.5GHz compared to the older CPUs.

ddrueding

Fixture
Agreed, more cores than needed for our kind of workflow, but it seems that the one with the most cores also has the highest clock. I'm still focused (as most users should be) on single-core performance, but that means the high-end chip anyway (unlike previous generations).

LunarMist

Agreed, more cores than needed for our kind of workflow, but it seems that the one with the most cores also has the highest clock. I'm still focused (as most users should be) on single-core performance, but that means the high-end chip anyway (unlike previous generations).

It looks like the 12-core frequency is TBD. I guess we will see.

LunarMist

I have no idea what that is but I'm using older programs and OS that can't take advantage. Even the cloud PS cannot do most things in parallel.

LunarMist

Now I need a micron ATX 4-core, so I suppose that would be an H270? What boards are suggested? Thanks.

LunarMist

I'm receiving a 6700K, but it doesn't appear to have a cooler. What is fairly small/low profile HSF to fit in a mATX case?
The CPU will probably be set to 4.2 on all cored, no more. Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm receiving a 6700K, but it doesn't appear to have a cooler. What is fairly small/low profile HSF to fit in a mATX case?
The CPU will probably be set to 4.2 on all cored, no more. Thanks.

Can you share the case you're using and/or the size? If you can't or won't share, then what about the Noctua NH-L12? You might have to be careful with a HSF this small because it's not great at dealing with the 130W TDP from your 6700K. You may need to see if you can fit a Noctua NH-C14S.

LunarMist

I'm wondering if the P.S. 380W is enough or has the right connectors and specs. Should it be replaced or is a more powerful PS too long?

Handruin

Administrator
I'm wondering if the P.S. 380W is enough or has the right connectors and specs. Should it be replaced or is a more powerful PS too long?

Post the complete component list and I can have enough information to answer your question better. I might suspect that 380W is borderline acceptable for that CPU with any other reasonable amount of components...especially if you plan to add any kind of modern GPU.

There are other PSUs available with more capacity that are SFF but you would need to verify the dimensions.

LunarMist

There will be a Z270 board, max of three HDDs, one optical drive and two reused small SSDs. I may upgrade it to an M.2 eventually. There will be 2x8GB RAM for now and maybe two more in 2018. Prices are high now. There is no video in the system.

Handruin

Administrator
I would have to plug those components into a power calculator like the one on pcpartpicker to see how close it suggestions. I Think you might be close to the limit which is obviously not ideal.

LunarMist

I'll try to find some info on the PS. I'm not sure how many 380W they made, but it was a regular ATX PS. I suspect that the smallest current 500W PS would fit.

LunarMist

I'll try to find some info on the PS. I'm not sure how many 380W they made, but it was a regular ATX PS. I suspect that the smallest current 500W PS would fit.

It's definitely a version of the Earthwatts 380W PSU, though not the current painted green one.
- 3.4" (H) x 5.9" (W) x 5.5" (D)
- 86 mm (H) x 150 mm (W) x 140 mm (D)
What brands are recommended lately? Reviews indicate many PSUs fail or produce high frequency whine. I don't remember them being so bad 5-10 years ago, but maybe it's all that high efficiency crap.

LunarMist

I think that would be too small, leaving a gap. :scratch:
I had a Corsair PS some years ago. With any lick I will drive to a real computer store this weekend and see what they have.

Handruin

Administrator
I couldn't find any clear documentation on the case you have because it's really old and not listed on Antec's website so I couldn't find if they are using an SFF PSU or some custom thing. If it's SFF I would hope that this one would fit even if it's smaller.

LunarMist

I couldn't find any clear documentation on the case you have because it's really old and not listed on Antec's website so I couldn't find if they are using an SFF PSU or some custom thing. If it's SFF I would hope that this one would fit even if it's smaller.

I found the manual for the case. I will put everything together on the floor (case is >1500 miles from here) and see what happens. :)
The plan is to use Windows 7 on the system initially and then change to 10 in summer or autumn of 2018. Trying to coordinate schedules is difficult since I don't know exactly what my job will be next year.
Thanks again.

ddrueding

Fixture
In the BIOS should be a setting that allows some of the USB ports to work for key/mouse even without OS support. Typically the two where the PS/2 ports used to go.

LunarMist

Thanks. I'm using the USB ports next to the PS2 port. I set the BIOS option for Windows 7 install to Enable, to no avail. I also tried the USB legacy without positive results.

LunarMist

The complications are really sucky, but I have it working.

LunarMist

The box was waiting for me onsite and I rebuilt the computer in the old case. They don't make nice cases like that anymore, but the cable routing was a PITA. The Z270 mATX board has the stacked edge-style SATA ports and there is not much clearance in that area for cables, so only three of the six SATA ports could be used. It was just enough since the two SSDs were removed from the system and replaced with the M.2 drive. The combo (3.5" and 2.5") hot-swap tray drives are on the Marvell adapter as previously.

The new PSU fit fine, though I think it is technically upside down. I also reused the Intel 1Gb NIC for the NAS. The USB 3.0 card was no longer necessary.

Unfortunately, the timing was never right for ordering the Noctual HSF, so the Intel one is still on the CPU. It is sufficient for the typical non-OC use and cores reach 75-80 during the IntelBurnTest. Removing the board again is such a pain that I probably would never do it unless there is a problem.

RAM is still expensive so I did not add any more. It is running at 2666, which is not a speed listed by Intel for the 6700K (DDR4-1866/2133).

The battery in the UPS died again so I purchased a new 1300VA (780W) UPS locally. The old UPS from 2008 or 2009 was only 700VA and a single battery type that would not run very long. I'll get a new battery for that and perhaps use it for something else or to split the load on other parts of the system.

Handruin

Administrator
What old case did you use? There are tons of nice cases these days that are far better than anything I've built with in the past.

LunarMist

What old case did you use? There are tons of nice cases these days that are far better than anything I've built with in the past.

Of course every new tower I get seems to have more features, but this was the desktop Antec case mentioned earlier in the thread.
The user wants this form factor which is just not common nowadays, especially ones that have two external 5.25" bays and two internal 3.5". The more modern cases are dinky and don't hold much, in keeping with the thinking on HTPC machines. Of course it is possible to turn a small tower sideways, but that is far from ideal and the old case is a rock solid support for a heavy monitor.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The user wants this form factor which is just not common nowadays, especially ones that have two external 5.25" bays and two internal 3.5". The more modern cases are dinky and don't hold much, in keeping with the thinking on HTPC machines.
HTPCs don't really have anything to do with it. Few people build machines with 5.25" devices and, when they're not spinning disks, 3.5" drives can be stuck in a lot of places -- meaning you don't need a giant cage to hold drives.

If there's nothing to stick in that space, why have it?

LunarMist

I like the 5.25" for the removable drives and other devices.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I like the 5.25" for the removable drives and other devices.

My optical drive doesn't see much use unless I'm watching a bluray (extremely rare), transcoding a DVD (less rare) or writing some kind of OS to disc for an old machine (easily the use case for which I bought the drive), but I use my hotswap bay a lot. I broke the acrylic window in the side panel in my Bitfenix Neos in one of my latest misadventures so I've decided to forgo the case window for this build -- I didn't even *want* one when I bought the Neos, but I was motivated by the features/price/garishness ratio. Since then I've found a new case to salivate at, the Cooler Master N400. It might not have much in the way of cable management (as far as I can tell) but the case is pretty spacious for a mid-tower so there's nothing preventing me from adding my own via those plastic tie-mounts that attach with double-sided tape. I used to abhor zip ties but honestly they're not that much of a pain. They do the job required of them, and are easy enough to get rid of when you're tired of them. Plus the case is pleasing to look at and has all the features I need of it.

LunarMist

I still use both of my 5.25" bays for Bluray drives.

My main system is in a mid-tower case containing ten bays, four of which are 5.25" externals. There are two removable drive trays, one optical drive, and one passively cooled HDD with the temperature probes.