Home NAS

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I haven't installed the 10Gb NIC in my PC yet. Maybe later today I'll have some numbers for you.

I would really appreciate it. The QNAP writes too damned slowly due to the wimpy Armada CPU. I was thinking about using a huge TC volume, but the system crashes. Then it takes a couple hours to get everything back to normal and try other parameters. :(

LunarMist

Maybe it should. :D The problem is that the CPU is weak. It must RAID the 6 on all 8 drives and then encrypt simultaneously. This is the backup target so the writes are important.

LunarMist

It's the Spanish Armada that's the problem.

Very susceptible to the English fleet.

I think the Amazon owns it now. The current 831X has a faster Armada CPU 1.7GHz vs. The 2016 version CPU at 1.4. I'm so tired of the 12TB file crashing and then it won't delete in human time so I pulled the cord from the back and let sparks fly.

LunarMist

I think the Amazon owns it now. The current 831X has a faster Armada CPU 1.7GHz vs. The 2016 version CPU at 1.4. I'm so tired of the 12TB file crashing and then it won't delete in human time so I pulled the cord from the back and let sparks fly.

The largest file I've initiated successfully is 8TB. I'm not sure why, but maybe there is something with the RAM or the Windows 7.

Stereodude

Not really a
The largest file I've initiated successfully is 8TB. I'm not sure why, but maybe there is something with the RAM or the Windows 7.
You have single files larger than 8TB? What is the file system of the NAS? NTFS has limits to the max size of a file, but I'm sure the NAS doesn't run NTFS.

LunarMist

You have single files larger than 8TB? What is the file system of the NAS? NTFS has limits to the max size of a file, but I'm sure the NAS doesn't run NTFS.

The file system is EXT4, whatever than means. I wanted to make a single file of 42.7TB to fill the whole thing. After 3 day of crashes and redoing the system I gave up on larger than 8TB. 11.5TB does not work.

Handruin

Administrator
The file system is EXT4, whatever than means. I wanted to make a single file of 42.7TB to fill the whole thing. After 3 day of crashes and redoing the system I gave up on larger than 8TB. 11.5TB does not work.

The ext4 filesystem can handle a 16TB single file size but that filesystem format is probably internal to the NAS. How are you creating a file of this size?

LunarMist

I was trying the Trucrypts file. That way, the Windows computer can handle the hard work and the transfer rate is not limited by the wimpy CPU in the NAS.

LunarMist

So I will order the real NAS of XEON and more 10TB drives. Tured of this nonsense.

Handruin

Administrator
I have no idea what a Trucrypts file is and how it generates a multi-terabyte file.

I agree, that's why I built my own to not have that kind of nonsense.

LunarMist

I'm almost at 8K in less than 2 years, so I suspect the progress would be more efficient.

LunarMist

It is my lack of Linux skills. If I could Spanish and Chinese it would be diffeRent, but such is life.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
Then build a windows storage server or use FreeNAS with it's fancy GUI if you don't want to learn Linux.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have no idea what a Trucrypts file is and how it generates a multi-terabyte file.
TrueCrypt makes a large file that the software then mounts like a drive. Basically an encrypted drive image.

Regardless, I don't think Lunar is taking the best line of attack here. I would expect the NAS supports encryption. Second, I don't understand what personal data is worth encrypting when stored locally. I don't encrypt any of my data in my local backups.

LunarMist

SD, I'm only getting 110-120 on encrypted volumes. It is 2-3x faster normally.
I think it is a good idea to protect data from theft and loss during shipping and possible multiple relocations.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The NAS sees the encrypted file as a single large file that the workstation operates on. It may also try to cache it. The workstation sees a very large file. How efficiently does your workstation handle an equivalently large photoshop or premier file opened locally or from the NAS?

LunarMist

I tried that unsuccessfully. There is still an M.2 drive in one computer that boots to the Linux FreeNAS and cannot be accessed in Windows.

Somehow the NAS order was on hold due to credit frauds so it may be delayed. I am hoping that Xenon will hAve enough oomph for mainstream use, not just backups.

LunarMist

The NAS sees the encrypted file as a single large file that the workstation operates on. It may also try to cache it. The workstation sees a very large file. How efficiently does your workstation handle an equivalently large photoshop or premier file opened locally or from the NAS?

No, that is not an issue when the operation is on files in the mounted drive. The problem is that an 8TB+ container is so large that Windows and the NAS can have issues during creation or manipulation, and then the file is lost and it takes hours to rebuild the NAS array or fix the FS. It's just not a robust enough option.

LunarMist

Is it just me or is the QNAP not supporting the encrpytions by folder, whereas the Synology does? Maybe I'm not optimally configured.

LunarMist

Exactly what are you putting in her trunk? Your 30lb package? How many inches long is that? :rofl:

It was rather square and bulky. Ultimately I was able to unpack a bit and cram it in my vehicle rather than her small SUV.

LunarMist

I underestimated the size and power of this NAS. It is rather larger, but not so huge after all the packaging was removed. The fans are somewhat loud since it defaults to medium speed when there is a PCIe card installed. Full speed is quite loud and not what I would need anyway. I may try to find quieter fans later on.
Read speeds are much slower than writes for some reason. The Xenon CPU has minimal utilization, so I don't know if there is some bottleneck in the X520-DA2s or what.
According to the Synology DSM the Party check (that will take practically forever...) may degrade performance, but why the reads rather than writes?

Sequential Read : 480.264 MB/s
Sequential Write : 865.305 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 452.122 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 727.911 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 20.494 MB/s [ 5003.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 20.187 MB/s [ 4928.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 94.252 MB/s [ 23010.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 55.338 MB/s [ 13510.3 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [E: 0.0% (0.2/46362.1 GB)] (x5)

Handruin

Administrator
I underestimated the size and power of this NAS. It is rather larger, but not so huge after all the packaging was removed. The fans are somewhat loud since it defaults to medium speed when there is a PCIe card installed. Full speed is quite loud and not what I would need anyway. I may try to find quieter fans later on.
Read speeds are much slower than writes for some reason. The Xenon CPU has minimal utilization, so I don't know if there is some bottleneck in the X520-DA2s or what.
According to the Synology DSM the Party check (that will take practically forever...) may degrade performance, but why the reads rather than writes?

Sequential Read : 480.264 MB/s
Sequential Write : 865.305 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 452.122 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 727.911 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 20.494 MB/s [ 5003.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 20.187 MB/s [ 4928.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 94.252 MB/s [ 23010.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 55.338 MB/s [ 13510.3 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [E: 0.0% (0.2/46362.1 GB)] (x5)

How much cache is in this NAS? Does this NAS unit allow you to adjust the cache allocation? You may need to test the reads multiple times to see a benefit from caching and you may also want to test a write file that's larger than cache to see what happens when you exceed the size of the cache.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I tried that unsuccessfully. There is still an M.2 drive in one computer that boots to the Linux FreeNAS and cannot be accessed in Windows.
So, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD.

And, unsurprisingly, Windows can't read ZFS....

LunarMist

How much cache is in this NAS? Does this NAS unit allow you to adjust the cache allocation? You may need to test the reads multiple times to see a benefit from caching and you may also want to test a write file that's larger than cache to see what happens when you exceed the size of the cache.

I don't think it has any cache set. I did try a test with 32GB of Atto length and results are similar - R=450MB/s and W=770MB/s.

LunarMist

Did you want to wipe the drive and reuse it for Windows?
If so, throw it in a working Windows computer and use the CLEAN option in DISKPART on it. Be careful to select the right disk.

I did not realize the M.2 drive was in there for about a year doing nothing after the failed NAS project.
I should boot from it.