Western Digital He12, 12 TB and 14 TB HDDs

Stereodude

Not really a
I just want to know who is going to be the first to roll out a modern 5.25" half height drive with like 14 platters in it. They could probably get 25TB+ in one.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
On another note it looks like the manufacturers are focusing mostly on the enterprise sector. Makes sense given that SSDs these days are cheap enough and large enough for most non-enterprise users.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
On another note it looks like the manufacturers are focusing mostly on the enterprise sector. Makes sense given that SSDs these days are cheap enough and large enough for most non-enterprise users.

Consumers with middling desktops typically have a combination of an SSD and a 4-6TB drive for data storage.
I have three of the 10TB Seagate heliums and you don't have to be on the enterprise to use them. There are plenty of SAS controllers or you can get the SATA versions.
I suspect that the 12TB is a Hitachi design. Eventually that name will die out and everything will be branded WD.
I might get a couple of the 12TB WD drives, but more likely three of the Ironman 10TB Seagate is a better value for most purposes. At the time I bought the Enterprise, there was no Ironman version.
Of course we will have to see if Seagate makes a 12TB drive before the HAMR takes off.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I just want to know who is going to be the first to roll out a modern 5.25" half height drive with like 14 platters in it. They could probably get 25TB+ in one.

Ahhhhhh fond memories of my friend's Seagate ST-225, 20MB HDD. I was eventually rocking a ST-238R RLL 30 MB HDD. ;)

LunarMist

Seagate has 12TB enterprise drives now too. I suppose my 10TB are obsolete. :crap:

LunarMist

Another success story to add to your link creation history. At least we know no one else post under your credentials.

Something is not right. It is quoting my older post like there is a loop. :scratch:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They sound to be crappified versions of the Ultrastars.

However, they will be available B2C.

LunarMist

They sound to be crappified versions of the Ultrastars.

However, they will be available B2C.

I'd probably get the Seagate 12TB drives instead, though I have no use for them since the fast array is all 10TB drives.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
BTW, locally, the SATA version of the Seagate Enterprise Capacity Helium 12TB drive is slightly cheaper than either the Barracuda Pro or the Ironwolf Pro at similar capacity. The choice seems obvious.

LunarMist

BTW, locally, the SATA version of the Seagate Enterprise Capacity Helium 12TB drive is slightly cheaper than either the Barracuda Pro or the Ironwolf Pro at similar capacity. The choice seems obvious.

It was the same with the 10TB helium drives. I don't know why, since the Enterprise Capacity drives have a higher MTBF and almost twice the duty rating for TB written/year.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It was the same with the 10TB helium drives. I don't know why, since the Enterprise Capacity drives have a higher MTBF and almost twice the duty rating for TB written/year.
I know that the He drives are generally cooler and use less power, but are they quieter than comparable air-filled drives?

LunarMist

The idle is quieter, but the seeks seem louder in comparison, perhaps not as masked by the rotational noise. The seek pitch may be higher due to the helium. Overall I found the 10TB Seagate drives noticeably reduced the overall noise in my mid tower. I replaced 3x Seagate 6TB 7200 RPM and a 6TB Hibachi NAS drive.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm eventually going to have to move into the size territory where the He drives live for my NAS, and cool and quiet is the order of the day.

LunarMist

What about the n ew WD technolgy?
I'm not sure if Big Data drives will work with normal files or affect of the stripe size in the NADs. (I know you can control the ZFS, but I'm set on the Synology for a long time.)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
What about the n ew WD technolgy?

^^^ A Lunar link that actually goes where it's supposed to go. It's not perfectly formatted but hey, small steps right? :cheers:

40 TB drives in 2025. I think the MHD manufacturers figured out a way to stay relevant with respect to the SSD; create MHDs so large that the only way to back them up is to buy a second or even a third drive.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As I understand it, MAMR is a slightly better alternative to HAMR.

It's not clear to me that MAMR is mature enough to replace HAMR before it gets started.