Beverages

Lena

What is this storage?
I was stationed there in GW1. I'm not much of a drinker but preferred the French wines over beers.

Oh. Now i get it. But i still feel like you missed out if you didn't get to try out the various types of beers available in Bavaria. The white beer "weißbier" actually tastes really nice and was always my favorite. It has a different taste compared to regular beers.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I missed out on a lot of things, but my work was the priority in those years before I was recalled to the states.

Lena

What is this storage?
I missed out on a lot of things, but my work was the priority in those years before I was recalled to the states.

No worries. You could always just visit and try out what i recommended. I am telling you...it's worth all the effort!

MickL

What is this storage?
I love Ginger lemonade home made only (ginger, lime, cucumber, mint), especially in summer!!

Lena

What is this storage?
Anyone tried the Nikka Coffey Malt? I'm seriously considering an investment in one of those.

The name is very fancy, but i just looked at pictures of it...errmh. The product doesn't match the name. I wonder where the name came from...does the name have like Japanese roots?

LunarMist

No worries. You could always just visit and try out what i recommended. I am telling you...it's worth all the effort!

Lately I've been drinking SoBe water, Gatorade G2, and Bai.

fb

Storage is cool
The name is very fancy, but i just looked at pictures of it...errmh. The product doesn't match the name. I wonder where the name came from...does the name have like Japanese roots?
Coffey is the name of the guy that "invented"/improved column still technology (I learned it on the internet this week). It's normally used for distillation of grain whisky, but apparently Nikka uses two pots for malt whisky. It should in theory give a smoother whisky than pot stills, so it would be interesting to give it a try. Especially since japanese whisky usually is very smooth to begin with. The risk is that it might not be very complex.

Lena

What is this storage?
Coffey is the name of the guy that "invented"/improved column still technology (I learned it on the internet this week). It's normally used for distillation of grain whisky, but apparently Nikka uses two pots for malt whisky. It should in theory give a smoother whisky than pot stills, so it would be interesting to give it a try. Especially since japanese whisky usually is very smooth to begin with. The risk is that it might not be very complex.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification...is Japanese whisky that good? I wonder why it's never been on the hype table like Russian or Irish Whisky?

fb

Storage is cool
I haven't heard about Russian whisky before (and that doesn't nessecerily mean that it's bad).

But Japanese whisky is in the same league as Scottish, so I can recommend trying one. I ended up ordering a Coffey Malt, so I hope I can give a report next week.

LunarMist

I see, that particular hype train doesn't seem to have made it to Sweden yet.

I though the US Whiskeys are mostly from Tennessee. :confused:
It looks like the Scots produce most of the global supplies and US is about 3rd or so.

Lena

What is this storage?
I haven't heard about Russian whisky before (and that doesn't nessecerily mean that it's bad).

But Japanese whisky is in the same league as Scottish, so I can recommend trying one. I ended up ordering a Coffey Malt, so I hope I can give a report next week.

I don't know why i forgot to add Scottish whisky on the list. My guess is that it's the most famous one ..right?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Currently drinking a beer called La Vache Folle (the Crazy Cow). It's a milk stout. It's actually quite good.

fb

Storage is cool
I have never tried a milk stout but it sounds interesting, I might have to try one next time I'm at Systembolaget (the Swedish alcohol monopoly). They don't have the La Vache Folle though, it's either Brewdog Jet Black Heart or Terrapin Moo-Hoo on the menu.

fb

Storage is cool
I almost forgot to "review" the Nikka Coffey Malt. It was smooth, but unfortunately not very exciting. On top of thst I got an extreme hangover despite not drinking too much.

Next time I want a really smooth and low peated whisky I'll buy an Auchentoshan or Dalwhinnie instead. They are both much cheaper and much better in my opinion.

fb

Storage is cool
Yes I agree, but sometimes one small glass is too much, sometimes one bottle is too much. It depends on the quality. ;)

fb

Storage is cool
What is PDE?

But phenol levels is used to describe the amount of peat. I think a normal peaty whisky like Laphroaig has about 45 ppm and Ardbeg around 55 ppm, that is quite nice. 309 ppm is probably more of an aquired taste.

LunarMist

What is PDE?

But phenol levels is used to describe the amount of peat. I think a normal peaty whisky like Laphroaig has about 45 ppm and Ardbeg around 55 ppm, that is quite nice. 309 ppm is probably more of an aquired taste.

I meant the toxicity of phenol. I have not done the math on the mass in the drinks consumed.

fb

Storage is cool
You need to drink quite a few bottles of whisky at once before you reach lethal levels. But it's probably not good for your health, like most alcoholic beverages.

fb

Storage is cool
Try Left Hand Milk Stout if it's available.
Saw the Left hand Nitro in the "temporary in stock shelf" at "bolaget" today and bought a couple of bottles. It was very smooth indeed, not sure that I liked it as a beer, but I had no problem drinking it. :) I can imagine it's really nice when it's cold outside.

The La Vache Folle that Coug recommend is not available here, but it is possible to order the Flying Monkeys, The Chocolate Manifesto (also from Canada), anyone tried that?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Saw the Left hand Nitro in the "temporary in stock shelf" at "bolaget" today and bought a couple of bottles. It was very smooth indeed, not sure that I liked it as a beer, but I had no problem drinking it. :) I can imagine it's really nice when it's cold outside.

Isn't it pretty cold in Sweden in January?