Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not seeing anything noteworthy. Where is the boring guy and was this on your holiday?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Signed up to get a quote for Dandelion, a cheaper to install geothermal system spun out of X labs, a Google company. Im not up for a 20k upfront payment but apparently they also do a $135 a month over 20 year option with nothing upfront and still saves you about 20% in fuel costs. Propane pricing can be quite volatile.

LunarMist

Signed up to get a quote for Dandelion, a cheaper to install geothermal system spun out of X labs, a Google company. Im not up for a 20k upfront payment but apparently they also do a $135 a month over 20 year option with nothing upfront and still saves you about 20% in fuel costs. Propane pricing can be quite volatile.

I'm surprised there is no cost up front. What happens if you sell the property in a couple of years?

Stereodude

Not really a
*sigh* Audacity is stuck in the stone age. It can't directly work in more than 2 channels. You can have lots of tracks and map them however you want in a multichannel wave file when exporting, but you can't make a 5.1 mix and preview or play it in 5.1. The only preview and playback options are 2 channel. So you have to make some changes, export, then play with another program and rinse and repeat instead of previewing on the fly in however many channels you have in the PC. :frusty:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Root canals suck. :crap:
Try getting one without anesthesia. :eek: I've had teeth pulled without anesthesia also. The reason is that I react badly to most drugs. Novocain will leave me feeling tired (as in I need to sleep 20 hours a day tired) for the next week or so. It's basically a choice then of a few minutes of excruciating pain versus of week of being a zombie.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Couldn't you have gas instead?
No way, no how. I like to be completely conscious when I'm having anything done in my mouth. Besides that, there are all sorts of potential complications from gas. As I said, I react badly to most drugs. My last dentist didn't use gas, anyway, partly for liability reasons.

LunarMist

No way, no how. I like to be completely conscious when I'm having anything done in my mouth. Besides that, there are all sorts of potential complications from gas. As I said, I react badly to most drugs. My last dentist didn't use gas, anyway, partly for liability reasons.

I prefer an endodontist for the root canals and an oral surgeon for anything more extensive than that.

What do you do when they open you up for surgery on your organs? I don't believe you could avoid the IV drugs and anesthesiologist. Of course one's mental condition is disordered in recovery and for some time after, but that is normal. The pain sets in later. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a large backlog of medical work, and am considering doing the medical tourism thing. A friend runs an operation in Romania and brings in Swiss doctors and French nurses. The full list could include:

Full set of dental implants
Laser eye correction
Knee replacement
Something with my compressed vertebrae

If I could wish for anything it would be to simply be unconscious for the 2 weeks it would take to get through the list. It's not like me being awake would allow me to catch a mistake and correct it.

LunarMist

I have a large backlog of medical work, and am considering doing the medical tourism thing. A friend runs an operation in Romania and brings in Swiss doctors and French nurses. The full list could include:

Full set of dental implants
Laser eye correction
Knee replacement
Something with my compressed vertebrae

If I could wish for anything it would be to simply be unconscious for the 2 weeks it would take to get through the list. It's not like me being awake would allow me to catch a mistake and correct it.

You are not even 40, so why the dental implants and knee? Don't you have good insurance at work? I would not want to be f*cked up in southeastern Europe if there were complications.
At least check the sequences as doctors often want recoveries between procedures. Dental implants are lengthy process as the bone regrows.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
What do you do when they open you up for surgery on your organs? I don't believe you could avoid the IV drugs and anesthesiologist. Of course one's mental condition is disordered in recovery and for some time after, but that is normal. The pain sets in later. :(
I haven't needed anything like that so far. Hopefully I never will. It's moot anyway. I have no medical insurance to cover such expensive procedures.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You must be very healthy and have good organs. :)
I'm only 55 and I've regularly exercised since high school. Exercise is probably the single most important thing for health and longevity. After that it's genetics, and then diet. We actually have pretty good genetics. My nearly 80-year old mom's organs are in great shape. Her only pill is 5mg of Norvasc to keep her BP under control. She's also only about 15% or 20% gray.

I do need to lose some weight. :sad: Unfortunately, the last year or two I haven't ridden the bike as much as I used to due to taking care of my mother. When I ride 3000 to 4000 miles a year that keeps my weight under control even if I stuff myself.

My two biggest health issues now are carpal tunnel syndrome and a receding hairline. I could get them both fixed with enough money.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I haven't ridden the bike in 4 years, and I've gained about 75 pounds since being a parent. At some point I'll do something about that.

I thought that as well. "Eventually I'll do something," I told myself. Don't wait till you are almost 50 before you start.

I don't have kids so I can't speak to that point, but after I lost about 50# (205# to 155#) I was like, "Why the F didn't I do this 20+ years sooner!!!" Don't wait. Do it now.

I did two things. Walk and calorie count. The walking part is obvious. Do some type of exercise. As far as calorie counting goes, I simply looked at the calorie count/serving-size of everything I ate and found lower calorie alternatives. Vinaigrette dressing vs Ranch dressing, iced tea vs soda, 1/2-N-1/2 vs sugar-coffee-creamers. Etc, etc. Eat whatever you want just be aware of calorie count and serving size. A big part of calorie counting is to, NOT KEEP SHIT FOOD IN YOUR HOUSE BECAUSE YOU WILL EAT IT.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be preachy but your health is your health. And once time passes you can't go back.

LunarMist

I'm only 55 and I've regularly exercised since high school. Exercise is probably the single most important thing for health and longevity. After that it's genetics, and then diet. We actually have pretty good genetics. My nearly 80-year old mom's organs are in great shape. Her only pill is 5mg of Norvasc to keep her BP under control. She's also only about 15% or 20% gray.

I do need to lose some weight. :sad: Unfortunately, the last year or two I haven't ridden the bike as much as I used to due to taking care of my mother. When I ride 3000 to 4000 miles a year that keeps my weight under control even if I stuff myself.

My two biggest health issues now are carpal tunnel syndrome and a receding hairline. I could get them both fixed with enough money.

Crapal tunnels don't get better on their own. Unless you have some underlying condition the hair loss is probably normal, not a health issue.

LunarMist

I haven't ridden the bike in 4 years, and I've gained about 75 pounds since being a parent. At some point I'll do something about that.

The best point is now! The late Merc was morbidly obese and did something about it.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Crapal tunnels don't get better on their own. Unless you have some underlying condition the hair loss is probably normal, not a health issue.
I know the hair thing isn't a health issue, more a cosmetic one, but it's something that can only be addressed with an expensive medical procedure.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The carpal tunnel thing is probably also worth addressing at some point. The pain is now continuous.
I share your pain, literally. :frowner: Unfortunately, CTS runs in the family. My mom had it to the point she couldn't work after her mid 40s. She had a carpal tunnel release which helped to some extent, but the nerve damage was already done. My sister has it. She had the operation also and claims it's mostly better. With no medical insurance the operation is out of the question for me. My mom said the insurance company paid about $50K for her operation in the late 1980s. I hate to think how much it would cost now. And I'm not sure it'll do much good. A few of my fingers feel numb most of the time. The nerves are probably gone. I could try the surgery when I'm eligible for Medicare in 9 years and change. I just wouldn't hold out hope for it doing much good.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you know something we don't?
When I do a search under his real name I'm still getting his profile at the place he works (worked?) at. Usually companies keep these things fairly current, so I think it's likely he's still alive. He may have reasons for no longer posting here.

LunarMist

I know the hair thing isn't a health issue, more a cosmetic one, but it's something that can only be addressed with an expensive medical procedure.

If I had limited funds and both conditions, the hands would be top priority.

As many issues as I've had at least I go to the Drs. and hospitals for the treatments and repairs.

LunarMist

The carpal tunnel thing is probably also worth addressing at some point. The pain is now continuous.

Why are you not receiving medical treatment for all the ailments? Get help before it is too late.

Something else must be going on. I don't want to pry too much, but abusing your body is never the solution.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why are you not receiving medical treatment for all the ailments? Get help before it is too late.

Something else must be going on. I don't want to pry too much, but abusing your body is never the solution.

Despite my wife being a doctor, I've never been particularly confident in the consistency of their end-product. At some point I'll be in a position where I can take the multiple weeks off to have work done, but currently on a 7-day vacation in Mexico and won't have more time for quite a while.

sedrosken

Florida Man
A side effect of using 98lite to swap the 98 explorer for the 95 one for a speed boost on machines with too little processor power/RAM to spare on running an instance of IE at all times is that, funnily enough, the 95 easter egg involving renaming a folder several times works. Did it just for giggles on a hunch.

LunarMist

Are you playing ancient computer games? I can't imagine what good a 20 year old OS would be .