More Vista nonsense

Gilbo

Storage is cool
That's absurd. Those restrictions are absolutely ridiculous. Compared to the competition they may as well be on a whole different planet. It just reminds me how much less trouble I've had with my computers since moving them all to Linux. Windows screws up in the most absurd ways.

I was (very tentatively) thinking of purchasing a copy of Vista. I might still I suppose, but if I can't move it from system to system --which I'd do many times over the years-- or run virtualization software in it (and I'm not springing Ultimate), my purchase is even less sure.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I'm afraid I would have to go with Ultimate to avoid punching a hole in my computer screen. Although I'm not sure that would entirely prevent it either, just delay it. One of the biggest things being touted by Vista fans I run across is the multimedia junk. Not that XP didn't have it, just that Vista . . . well . . . um . . . yeah, it'll just be better, "trust us."

It just reminds me how much less trouble I've had with my computers since moving them all to Linux.

This is true. Actually, I didn't even realize how much I appreciate a little freedom and privacy until a few months after using Linux. I may even start donating to some projects, simply because I'm not coerced to do so.

The unfortunate side-effect of using Linux for me is that I've become something of an anarchist.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
A quote from an IT professional after her first exposure to Vista.

"this isn't going to be as easy to hand out to users like it was when going from 2000 to XP. This is going to require a lot of dummies to relearn stuff--and they will all be calling me! I'm hoping the sun explodes before this gets rolled out"

Bozo :joker:

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance

Vista could have been a very good operating system, but now it's been totally fuxored beyond repair by politics and marketing -- at least until Vista II is released.

The Vista kernel is good. The Vista kernel is apparently the Win2K3 Server kernel with code updates. Unfortunately, Vista starts to go downhill as you leave ring zero for the higher levels of the operating system, because politics and marketing have dictated operating system design.

My prediction: Vista will have mixed success at best, sort of a "WinME all over again" phenomenon. MS will end up responding by releasing a less onerous operating system. Suggested name: nuVista or unVista.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Did I mention that Vista sucks?

I've managed to hose VMware installs twice. How many dialogs do I have to go though to send a file to the recycling bin?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They'll play it like the game companies. It'll ship, but, by the time it's actually in anybody's hands, they'll have a patch.

Who said that Microsoft isn't learning from beaing in the game business?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The Vista and Office 2007 nonsense becomes official on November 30th, if you are a smartypants Enterprise customer.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Vista is going to be ME on a different kernal.
Search still doesn't work, most times.
System recovery is a joke.
Networking is an abortion.
UAC blows goats
Between Hibernate, auto Defrag, System Restore, and Indexing, hard drives will puke in no time. (most of these are next to imposible to easily turn off)
The learning curve for office users (people) is straight up.
I have yet to find a way to search for a computer on a network. (see above)
It's severly bloated and a resource hog supreme. A clean install is 7.5GB on the hard drive, 346M RAM at idle (roughly 30% of installed memory), 8%-12% CPU usage at idle, and 39 processes running at idle. This is without Areo running as my Radeon 9200 doesn't support it.
With XP, I can install and set it up to look like Win2K, kill unnecessary sevices/processes, and install software in about an hour.
With Vista, it takes twice as long. Everything that I used to do in XP has been buried under at least one if not two more layers of menus. There is no logic to the way anything is layed out. Example: Right click on most anything in XP, and at the bottom of the menu is 'Properties'. Not in Vista. If it is there it could be anywhere in the menu. It may sound minor, but it is time consuming and a pain to have to look for it on every menu you open.
Need to put in a hard address in you network card. In XP, right click on My Network places, click on Properties and your NICs are available. Not Vista. The way I have found to get to the NICs is Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet>View Network Status and Task (a sublink under Network and Sharing Center)>Manage Network Connections.
Even if you change to the Classic desktop, right clicking on Network icon and then Properties will not get you to the NICs. There are two more menus to go!
The small icons in the Task Bar to let you see the network state?? In vista there is only one for all NICs. If you have 5 network connections, you get one icon. Sucks.
Want to use Vista Complete PC Backup to make an image to a network computer/server. Not with Vista. No network option.
NTBackup is history.
If you dual boot XP/Vista, they will destroy each others System Restore files. (they are not compatable)
You cannot repair a Vista install by over writing the files with the ones on the DVD. (like you can in XP.)

Maybe some of these things will be fixed/change before it is released. :rotfl:

Mercutio

Vista sounds wussier - large, pointless quicktime movie

I've never used Vista on a machine that would actually let me install a sound driver. So this is new to me. Basically, new sounds are a couple octaves higher in pitch (probably so they sound better on crappy notebook speakers) and are generally less loud and shorter in duration.

Mercutio

I'm playing with the RTM Vista Ultimate build 6000 now (cough).

All the hardware on my Thinkpad T41 was detected and works perfectly. Sound and everything. First time I've seen that.

My T41 has a sub-1.0 performance index despite 2GB of RAM and an 80GB 7200rpm hard drive. Vista likes to hate on Intel graphics chips as much as we do, I guess.

My Gateway notebook rates a 2.3, but the modem and sound STILL aren't detected.

Speed is much better now than with RC1. It's in-line with 32-bit XP now. Install time is down to about 1 hour.

UAC is less present. Still annoying, particularly when I need to give permission to copy a file from one partition to another on the same internal hard disk.

Initial memory use for this version is the same on both machines: 440MB.

I'll probably load it on some desktops over the weekend, but since I'm not trying to defeat activation I don't have much time to actually test.

ddrueding

Fixture
I just signed up for the Feb 1st launch conference in Santa Clara. On the bill:

Vista
Office 2007
Exchange 2007

I'm doing the "IT Pro" track in the morning and the "Partner" track in the afternoon. We'll see what they have to say ;)

Mercutio

MSDN subscriptions are *SO* worth the money.
I let my personal one lapse. Are they still doing the $300/year one?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I use the M$ Access Pack ($299 US/year) to keep up with the new stuff. It includes most of the server software offered by M$ and 10 client licenses to each. It's enough to fully populate all my lab's computers with different OS's.

I've noticed that for the last couple of years the amount of software they ship each quarter seems to be getting smaller and smaller and the amount of sales marketting seems to keep going up and up. Though with the Vista release, I suspect I will be seeing lots of new versions of the other stuff.

The main problem with the Access Pack is that you don't own the licenses to the software but rather it is subscription based. So if you ever lapse purchasing it, your licenses to all the software also lapse.

ddrueding

Fixture
IIRC, you mean the Action Pack. Last time I got one it was $300 and good for one year. I make my clients get them so I can set up non-production servers or do other testing. I end up using the 2003 standard and enterprise licenses there, and use the web edition on my workstations at home.

Mercutio

Has anyone seen anything about how Vista will function with disk images and restores?

I *think* get 50 Vista installs/activations off my company's VLK (though I don't have a VA 2.0 Key yet), but since SOP for our systems is to Image and Restore weekly on our classroom PCs, the new activation requirements are kinda scary.

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, they will eventualy expire, I had the same problem with deploying virtual machines. I believe sysprep resets the expiration, but don't quote me on that.

Handruin

Administrator
Nevermind what I said above. I don't know if sysprep even works with vista. I was thinknig this was a different thread for some reason. :crap:

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Activation hack

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5299

DailyTech writes:

...Microsoft's solution for making Volume Activation 2.0 easier for administrators has been attacked, however. Hackers have spoofed Microsoft's Key Management Service (KMS) server which allows corporations with 25 or more networked computers to activate Vista installations. The software hack is making the rounds around the web and in a nod to Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is named after his wife, Melinda."...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have installed Windows Vista Home Premium Edition on a system with an Intel Q965GF board, 2GB of RAM, E6600 CPU, ATI X1800XL GPU, WD2500JS HDD, LG GSA-4120BK DVD, Antec Solo case, Zalman ZM600-HP PSU, and Zalman CNPS9700 cooler. The installation was trouble free, as was the installation of the ATI and Intel drivers. I'm currently seeing how well the X1800XL will overclock. :) Although the gadgets in Vista can be a bit much, I like the RSS Feeds, weather and puzzle. The picture show can be neat, but also distracting. The huge analogue style clock is annoying. The default desktop image is also annoying. Interesting how things work slightly different, yet they still seem familiarly the same. Why doesn't Disk Defragmenter show up as an option along with Disk Management in Manage? Why doesn't Disk Defragmenter have a pictorial of the progress (because Windows' defraggers don't work?)? Anyway, that is just a very quick review.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck "Why doesn't Disk Defragmenter show up as an option along with Disk Management in Manage? Why doesn't Disk Defragmenter have a pictorial of the progress (because Windows' defraggers don't work?)?"

This was a real point of contention during the beta. Basically it came down to 'what you see is what gets shipped' from MS. And, you're right. Windows defraggers don't work. They needed to get it out the door in whatever shape it was in.

I'm waiting for SP1 before I install my copy, maybe.