500 GB

ddrueding

Fixture
I wouldn't consider a move from Samsung to WD an "upgrade". I'd consider Samsung's lower price a bonus and get them regardless.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7047

I received 4 Samsung drives in September. One of them defective. Besides that, they are not the fastest.
I was planning to replace the 500GB drive in the notebook with a new 500GB drive and move the "old" 500GB Samsung drive in the notebook to a Nexto. (I have 3 Nextos with 500, 500, and 320GB drives.) I would wait for the 500GB 7200RPM drives, but when will they arrive?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7047

I received 4 Samsung drives in September. One of them defective. Besides that, they are not the fastest.
I was planning to replace the 500GB drive in the notebook with a new 500GB drive and move the "old" 500GB Samsung drive in the notebook to a Nexto. (I have 3 Nextos with 500, 500, and 320GB drives.) I would wait for the 500GB 7200RPM drives, but when will they arrive?

google is your friend LM :D.

As I've stated before, otherworldcomputing seems to get them within the 1st week of shipping availability to 3rd part vendors, check with them if you're in a big hurry.

Re: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 Next Quarter
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=271131&page=7

The only thing I know about Macbook's is that apparently the WD seems to make your laptop vibrate like a baby that's just drunk a litre bottle of Red Bull.

LMAO :)

Seagate 500GB Notebook Hard Drives Power New Acer Notebook Computers With World’s Highest Capacity And Speed

http://media.seagate.com/2008/09/se...orlds-highest-capacity-and-speed/#comment-297

Seagate Technology Posted October 20, 2008 at 10:42 am | Permalink
JWoolliscroft -
Thanks for your comment.
We expect the Momentus 5400.6 to be available in early November and the Momentus 7200.4 in mid December.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Ah, but they're always not the fastest and will only fail once. That's not something that Western Digital can brag about.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got a 2.5" 500GB WD in an external enclosure (Passport Elite) that seems to be working fine. I have no idea if it's a 7200RPM or not. I'd assume it's not.

LunarMist

Ah, but they're always not the fastest and will only fail once. That's not something that Western Digital can brag about.

I have quite a few of the WD Passport drives and there are no problems. I even pulled one and used it in the laptop for several months. I've had more dead Hitachi and Seagate notebook drives. They're all cheap crap as far as I'm concerned.

LunarMist

I removed one of the 320GB drives for use in the computer. At the time the OEM 320 GB drives were not available alone so I bought the Passport and removed the drive. (That was the older Passport before they split the line.) The other 4x250Gb and 2x320GB Passports are used normally.

LunarMist

The 500GB WD drive is formatting now..................................

LunarMist

Now that task is completed, but now there is another problem. One hard drive is missing. :(

LunarMist

Not found
No information for the following shipments/FedEx Kinko's orders has been received by our system yet. Please try again later or contact Customer Service.
Tracking number

IMPORTANT!
Inclement weather conditions at Memphis hub may cause some service delays and disruptions within the U.S. today. Learn more
Track Shipments/FedEx Kinko's Orders
Summary Results Printable Version Quick Help

National Service Disruption

FedEx Express National Service Disruption for Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Memphis hub and flight operations experienced substantial disruptions last night due to inclement weather conditions. Consistent with the provisions of the FedEx Service Guide, the money-back guarantee is suspended for U.S. packages and shipments inbound into the U.S. from international locations with a delivery commitment of Thursday, December 4, 2008.

Please check the status of your shipments on fedex.com for service updates. You can also contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339, or stay up to date by subscribing to service disruption e-mail notifications at the FedEx E-Mail Subscription Center.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
UPS sends packages via train.

Even after one of my packages was in a derailment, it still arrived on time.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Not found
No information for the following shipments/FedEx Kinko's orders has been received by our system yet. Please try again later or contact Customer Service.
Tracking number

If ther is no trackign number, Maybe teh pakcghe has not yet shippped. Is it froma relablie vendor?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
UPS sends packages via train.

Even after one of my packages was in a derailment, it still arrived on time.

Even if some packages are transprtede by rial can teh USP tRain go from Mission Viejgo to Orloando in two days?

LunarMist

Hey what happened to my post?

The drive is working well, but it is rather slow with only 43GB free. :(

LunarMist

Grrrrr! So the 500/7200 appears for the first time today. Yet, I don't have much confidence and my laptop is mothballed for months. Is anyone going to bite?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, that one.

I'm carrying 250GB 5400rpm Samsung drives for miscellaneous storage (USB or in the second drive bay of my notebooks) right now, and they're both pretty full. I don't really want to buy a Seagate but I probably will buy a 500GB drive or two when the 250s are full.

LunarMist

My link was posted without seeing your reply. Let's wait a few days - or maybe hours - for David to buy 6 for RAID. :D

I really don't need one just now. I have the 500GB WD drive in the computer and 3x500GB Samsung drives in the PSDs. In addition there are 3x320GB and 4x250GB external 2.5" drives.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Grrrrr! So the 500/7200 appears for the first time today. Yet, I don't have much confidence and my laptop is mothballed for months. Is anyone going to bite?

....if only I had a modern SATA 3Gb/s internal path.

I'll wait for the Sandisk G3's this summer, IDE.

Still, with 500GB laptop drives going for what 64GB drives cost now, probably not.

Prelim testing on the 7200.4 500GB
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=271131&page=40

Where are the 750GB Samsung drives :D?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=4336172&postcount=214

Wait, I'll need to have an internal SATA 6Gb/s before I get a SSD, right now they're too slow :p

ddrueding

Fixture
I won't be buying any of these. SSDs are high enough capacity for my mobile needs. The only spinning-platter disks I'll be getting will be the largest for major storage.

LunarMist

I won't be buying any of these. SSDs are high enough capacity for my mobile needs. The only spinning-platter disks I'll be getting will be the largest for major storage.

I was kidding, you know? ;)

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
LMAO. Apparently Phelps isn't the only one suffering from ADD ...as a result of a bong hit :D.

See that little question mark icon next to the deactivated text? (squint your blood shot, hazed/dazed eyes...it's there)...click on it! go ahead, I know you guys never click on any links.

What is a Deactivated Item?

When a product is out-of-stock, it may show as "Deactivated" on the item page. This could mean that the item is no longer available and we are searching for a new supplier. However, if an item has reached the end of its product life cycle and will no longer be available at all, the deactivation will be permanent.
Looks like they sold all of their initial stock...got to wait for them to restock LM...you snooze, you lose :D (or go buy from otherworld computing, and the likes).

Wait 3 months more and you'll see the price drop, and likely it will always be in stock. Then again, 512GB Toshiba SSD should be out by then...for only what, 5x as much :D