90° SATA cables that go the other way?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is there such a thing? Problem is in the pictures below, if the 90° connector goes that way it will block ports. Just looked at a lot of angled sata cable pictures and I have yet to find one that goes the opposite way from this picture.

Considering a Intel DX58SO board which is what is pictured here.

cable.png

board.png

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, I don't care about the lock.

I think I will just have to grab a razor and make some cables if I decide to go this route.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Here are some cables that might work. (I can't see your pictures. the ass-wipes in IT have them blocked)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I question why one would want to use the angled side on the motherboard. Beyond blocking stuff, it seems it would make routing awkward.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Er, why not just use the side that isn't angled?

Straight cables end up with this. Big video cards block some drive connectors on the board, really crappy design.

imageview2php.jpg

I thought the angled side was for the drive not the board?

I think you are right.

These are images of the problem I found in a review and I am thinking about this board.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Here are some cables that might work. (I can't see your pictures. the ass-wipes in IT have them blocked)

Very interesting, first I have seen those right angle cables. Unfortunately I think they would be too high anyway

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Truely.

The Supermicro C7X58 I am considering has that, but then they went on and designed it so that the other expansion slots are all blocked if you are running on SLI with cards that are two slots wide. I was thinking the SATA ports being blocked would be easier to deal with.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The problem is that it would be bending towards the locking mechanism. Not sure how they would do that.

Yeah, I don't care about the lock.
You'll do when you'll have to remove the locked cable.

These are images of the problem I found in a review and I am thinking about this board.
Why don't you think about another board. There are plenty, I assure you. And they don't all cost 700$ like the one Ddrueding proudly brag he bought ;-p

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm fairly sold on the Supermicro C7X58 but I will hear suggestions. The only concern I have on it is all the other slots will be blocked so I couldn't add a sound card. About a non issue I think as the new board onboard sound should be fine for me, only reason I have a sound card now is my current board didn't have an optical out (which I'm not using anymore), and this board does have.

The GA-X58A-UD5 looks about perfect but is another $60 price premium at the moment, kind of waffling on spending more for something I won't want or need down the road. I'll start reading up more on this board.

I looked at the gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R and I don't like the way they step the video card channels down to 8 lanes if you stick in another card.

This Intel DX58SO board here has some crappy SATA connector placement, plus I read on another forum there were some buggy firmware versions out there for it. Also got put down as to not having as good a power supply regulation circuit as other boards in the same price range and doesn't use all solid caps. Basically the more I looked into it the worse this board got.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
$700 is a small price to pay for SATA ports that are oriented correctly ;)
I'm pretty sure that you didn't have to pay $700 for that.

It looks like all Gigabyte boards are like that. Most others that I've looked at recently do, as well.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If you go with the motherboard with the SATA sockets pointing out the side, install the cables before you install the motherboard. They can be a bitch to plug cables into once it has been installed.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah its funny you say that because there are a ton of people complaining about that on newegg reviews. If they would just think for a second...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The problem there is their enclosure.

Then again, I wonder how designers manage to pack all of this crap onto the boards without resorting to E-ATX.