AMD Ryzen pricing released, Intel cuts prices in anticipation

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The sad way Intel is planning to play it.

The writer of the above is biased for AMD and I have little doubt AMD would use the same tactics if it was in Intel's position. Still.

Unless the official reviews don't show the same praise of Ryzen's performances as the snips we've had so far, I plan to buy exclusively Ryzen-equipped desktops for the rest of the year. My volume isn't high (~10 per year), but every little bit counts.

I mostly buy laptops for the company and that will remain all-Intel for the foreseable future.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Octocores might good for servers and some apps, but others don't scale so well.
I suppose there will be benchmarks per thread when the products are released for sale.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'll wait for the reviews. I've heard this song and dance from the AMD fanboys before and subsequently seen an underwhelming product.

Handruin

Administrator
In the past my concern has been less about the CPU quality and more about the quality of motherboards and chipset offerings from the normal group of manufacturers we choose from. This alone makes me lean towards paying more for a CPU and motherboard. Hopefully chipsets and motherboards have also improved for AMD configurations.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, it not a total disappointment, but it still doesn't seem to have the single threaded chops of Intel's parts. It's better, but they try to make up for it by offering more cores in the consumer parts than Intel offers for less money. For some workloads I guess that's a benefit, but overall doesn't seem all that compelling in the "I've got to run out and get one!" sense. I guess I'm jaded by the performance for the price the used E5 V1 and E5 V2 Xeons offer.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I agree with your analysis SD. If you are a gamer, stick with Intel. If you do a lot of content creation and don't want (or can't) buy used then Ryzen is a possibility. At the very least Intel will have to either up their game a bit or lower prices. So Ryzen is a possible win for consumers even if they stick with Intel.

Handy already mentioned the primary concern regarding the switch to Ryzen. Motherboard and Chipset quality. If AMD nails those then Ryzen should be enough of a win to give Intel a much needed kick in the butt.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I think their eventual APUs with the Zen architecture are more intriguing. For those who don't really need a separate graphics card, a Ryzen APU would be close to Intel's offerings in terms of content creation, and the graphics engine should be better than what Intel offers in terms of integrated graphics (or at least so far AMD's APUs have bested Intel in that area).

That said, I'm happy with my 4+ year old A10-5800K APU. It's had sufficient horsepower for my needs. If/when I want to build a faster system, I would strongly consider a Ryzen APU over anything from Intel.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
That said, I'm happy with my 4+ year old A10-5800K APU.
I did not realize that it's already been 4 years since we sent you the parts for that system. I thought it was two years ago. Time flies.

I still haven't seen any F@H benchmark for Ryzen. It isn't good for Monero mining. Overall, I think it's a better value than what Intel offers for desktops because the single-thread performance is close and it has more cores to handle multiple applications simultaneously. It will age better than its Intel competitors. When HP and Lenovo will ship Ryzen CPUs in their EliteDesk and ThinkCentre desktops, that's what I'll buy.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I read on a French site that AMD might launch a non-server 16-core/32-thread model. That would be awesome. They would also introduce a new motherboard chipset: X399.

No price were indicated.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As I read it, they would also have to introduce a new socket type, which I don't like. The larger chips are apparently going to all be LGA.

I am excited by the possibility have being able to build a SFF server with a Zen APU and ECC memory.