Anandtech reviews the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000

ddrueding

Fixture
I can't believe I need to buy a dell to get them. That means I need to wait for a client to order an XPS, and then add some options ;)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The cost of a 750GB drive has been falling in the past few weeks. That will be the segment most affected.

Handruin

Administrator
I never thought I'd need one, but I'd like two of these things. It would be nice to reduce the number of drives in my system to two.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
500GB are cheap. 750GB drives are falling below $250 (that's pretty cheap right there).

Perhaps for rich people... but when you need to buy a number of them, it ends up being a large chunk of change.

For the rest of us, the price needs to be ~$100 or less to even consider it.

ddrueding

Fixture
All drives are Hitachi retail, except for the 750 (Seagate). Prices are current Newegg.com

So, yes, 750 is more/GB, but not by that much (comparable to the 400GB drives)

ddrueding

Fixture
The online resellers that support pre-orders are saying they won't have 1TB drives until July.

I was curious, as Fry's is now selling the 750GB drives for $220 each (PATA or SATA) - no rebates needed.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
JUlby? Why TF so long? What about the Deagate 1tB drives this youear too.? Very dissapoitinign year this is on the HD front, and still no larger notebook drived either.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
JUlby? ...the Deagate 1tB drives this youear too.? Very dissapoitinign year ... notebook drived either.
Dear Mr. Lost, please stop fulling your mouth with soda cookies every time you try to speak.

I still have no tiny Byte drive on my price lists and my suppliers aren't even talking about it, so it isn't for tomorrow. But with 500 GagaBytes hard drives selling for less than 150$CAN (my cost is ~15% less), I am not in a hurry. There's no market around here for larger-than-500GB hard drives.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There's no market around here for larger-than-500GB hard drives.

We have heard that one before. :)

Even if there is not a large market for 1TB drives, there is a decent market for 250 GB drives. Costs can be reduced when mfrs. produce 250GB drives with one platter and the cost/GB slope will continue downward.