Another Digital Camera Thread - Point and Shoot

Stereodude

Not really a
How many PnS types are using it for massively large image resolutions or massive cropping (like airshows where you don't have a long, long tele to get you close enough :p ).
:tdown: I'll have you know I did no cropping in any of the airshow shots I posted. They're all just resized. :)

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
:tdown: I'll have you know I did no cropping in any of the airshow shots I posted. They're all just resized. :)

Ok, so that's ur justification for why they suck? :p

But seriously, you can't pull a rabbit out of a hat like Bullwinkle.

The genius behind the Oly OM-1 died this summer and none of you poser photogs even mentioned it!

There were the rumors, "larger sensor" for both Nikon and Canon.

Turns out, the Canon 90is uses a sensor that's no larger than previous 'larger' sensors in PnS digicams, the LX3 uses a 'larger' sensor too.

Yet, the micro 3/4th...4/3rds, whatever: sensors which everyone seems to have derided as not providing equal IQ to APS-C sized sensors, are still on the order of 5x the size.

Leave it to Leica to put out a limited APS-C sized sensor, and cram into a pocketable PnS. Fixed lens is a bummer though. While a zoom will obviously lower IQ from a lens quality POV, it's really a more versatile option, and with a large 3/4th or APS-C sensor, you'd get near dSLR IQ in a pocketable form factor...so simple, why even a caveman could think that one up. Should not be an engineering obstacle to Pany designing a 4 or 5x zoom, PnS w/3/4ths sized sensor...a high-end LX3 if you will, that would put it far ahead of all others...innovate damn it! A 4/3rds sensor would mean realistic higher ISO, allowing for slower, wider range zoom. I see no reason Canon can't put a 1000D sensor into the 90is, and include a better quality zoom? Not like I'm asking for 7fps shooting speed :D If Leica can do it, why not the others?

Friggin 90is needs 720p at minimum.

Samples of the ISO80 look good, but given the pixel density, you're forever going to lose out on fine detail /excessive softening from NR...that which makes air show pix...sucky :D. Just go back to the dpreview database and look at sensor pixel density, to see that the 90is is not all that great...it's just not as *bad* as current silly 12MP+ models, hardly revolutionary.

You'll also note, the usual crappy AF problem with PnS (should have a touch screen LCD that you can manually quickly select focus point) in the out of focus mushroom pic #14 in the series, IIRC. So many of those images, besides obvious high noise in the ISO >400 images, seem limited by lens resolution/sharpness... lol. ISO3200 is predictably bad, but how does it compare with the old Fuji F30? Any higher ISO's are stupid marketing gimmicks.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canons90_preview/

Over all, I'd guess the LX3 gives better IQ, has AEB, which the 90is is *lacking* (no serious PnS should be without that or HD video, but we know Canon is a slacker company), only the severely limited zoom range keeps me from getting a LX3.

New thread, a la LM : Where are the 4/3rds sensor PnS digicams (w/decent zoom range, and lens quality)?

That Leica X1 is insane, $2k for a fixed lens pocketable PnS??? I'm not carrying $2k worth of anything in my pockets.

Stereodude

Not really a
The S90 looks better at high ISO than I would have expected, and worse at low ISO than I would have expected. There seems to be good detail, but the noise in flat areas at low ISO is somewhat surprising.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's only a P/S. The sensor or lens or both are not really up to par. We need an APS-C sensor in one of them.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
wicked

I want one, young Korean babe to go, also :D ?

Unlike slacker Canon and their unimpressive S90is which doesn't even do decent HD video, Samsung is innovating.

Announced for Korean mkt only...for now, next year international version ships :).

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_sch_w880_amoled_12m-review-398p4.php

tracking touch autofocus, 720p@30 fps video recording, 3.3" big AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with WVGA resolution. That's not something you see every day on a cameras and it's top notch in mobile phone terms. Even the degree of control over how a photo is taken beats out consumer cameras, let alone cameraphones...

The Mode dial allows for quick toggling between Macro, Landscape, Portrait, Program, Manual, the proprietary SmartAuto shooting mode and finally, Video recording...

Another first for the Samsung W880 is the full manual mode [but no manual focus], which gives you control over the shutter speed and the aperture priority at the same time. Considering however that there aren't too many photography enthusiasts who use cameraphones we doubt it will be used too often[speak for yourselves only, buddy].

The Samsung W880 AMOLED 12M didn't need an awful long time to convince us that it's the most complete photography tool among the mobile phones. Combining optical zoom with splendid image and video quality has certainly resulted in something way beyond the powers of its competitors.
It's almost unquestionable that the handset will become immensely popular and get iconic status once it gets released outside Korea. The touch experience that Samsung are providing recently is pretty good and we don't see any reason for the handset not to become a dream device for every self-respecting geek.

Combined with the proper pricing it might also cash in on its popularity as it will convince quite a lot of people to leave their point-and-shoot cameras at home next time they're out and about.

If only they could have limited MP to something like 6MP, and a bigger sensor... FF size, next revision :) ?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
@BBnow on their Mac Mini, lol

S90 case is super slippery, don't like :p

syncmaster p2370 is kind of nice :), Mac Mini keyboard? Sucks big time!

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Would like some suggestions.

I want something that shoots better in low light situations than my current Sony DSC-H1. It is limited to a rather noisy ISO 400 but technology has moved on in recent years right?

I now have a Sony DSC-H1 and before that I had a Canon S1-IS so basically what I would prefer is something with a decent zoom, say something above 8x, that can use the scads of rechargeable AA batteries I have here.

Ooh, found dpreview compare feature, be playing with that for a while...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
If you want low-light, then you are almost stuck with an SLR as opposed to a point and shoot. The PS's just plain don't have the sensor size needed regardless of how they advertise them: A noisy ISO 400 is what they offer, at best.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The category I am looking for is called (I believe) bridge cameras as in they fall between a full DSLR and point and shoot. Seems like an ISO 1600 is standard and 3200 and sometimes as high as 6400 can be had now. 28-320+mm zoom and usually a f2.8 through most of the wide modes categorize this type of cameras.

Just found and am drooling over this one:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Just because marketing forces PS's to have high ISO settings does not mean that any photograph taken at those speeds are acceptable. To get acceptable high ISO photographs requires a larger sensor than PS's have which currently means SLR.

Stereodude

Not really a
Your OK, is significantly different than my OK. Fair enough.
Well, if you expect DSLR performance then sure none of them are acceptable. Where are the sample images you've seen from the S90 / G11 at high ISO that you consider unacceptable?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That linked to this site where there are a really decent list of comparison shots in different ISO modes.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

The Canon PowerShot SX1 IS at 400 looks worse than a D5000 at 1600 so I see what you all are saying. I will think on it but I don't think the wallet can take that kind of abuse.

Stereodude

Not really a
It's all relative to what you're going to do with the pictures. If you're going to resize them to 640x480 and put 'em on facebook, then it doesn't much matter what camera you use.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
The big game changer here is Sony's new WX1.

It can take multiple shots and combine them compensating for subject motion, while reducing noise. You can do this yourself, but it only works on a tripod (people photographing starscapes do it a lot). Apparently there's some sort of gyro in the camera that makes the stitching work better.

The craziest thing is that it actually works very well according to Imaging Resource.

It works in two modes, one for when there is no movement in the picture, and one for when there is. Both apparently work well.

Extremely interesting. Of course, the Sony Memory Stick requirement makes me want to light my car on fire and drive it into a Sony store, but what can you do?

There's also a touchscreen version, which I can't remember the name of.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Reminds me of the same concept as the red only way at the other end of the scale.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Cool, I went with a G11 myself after rummaging around the reviews and apparently the G11 and S90 have a lot in common internally. Haven't had time to do much with it yet.

Actually I need a halfway decent small light tent, anyone have suggestions on that? Need both tent and lighting.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yeah, the G11 and the S90 are a bit like kissing cousins. I have a G6 and the larger size kept me from using it as much as I might have, so I was much more interested in the S90.

LunarMist

I'm still considering the S90. G11 is too large for most pockets, so I may as well bring a small DLSR setup.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually some of their products already have both memory stick and SD slots (my wife's Reader Touch is an example).

All I know is the PSP I bought in 2005 that came with 32MB, now works fine with 8 and 16GB memory sticks. So in terms of lifecycle I haven't had problems.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I just switched cameras again, before I had a Canon then the Sony and now another Canon and I feel I have done a lot of needless memory card switching. These 75 in 1 card readers really shouldn't be necessary, no reason we can't get things down to like 5.

Sort of like cell phone/pda chargers and simply accepting the USB/5v standard. I think they actually put something into law over in the EU about that citing e waste reasons.

LunarMist

I just switched cameras again, before I had a Canon then the Sony and now another Canon and I feel I have done a lot of needless memory card switching. These 75 in 1 card readers really shouldn't be necessary, no reason we can't get things down to like 5.

You should only need two, CF and SD. Others are ugly.

LunarMist

I once had an Oly with a SmartMedia card. Now that was really limited.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just the other day someone wanted me to retrieve data from a super old memory card. It looked like an SD card, but twice as wide/long and half as thick. I think it was 32MB. None of my card readers even have a slot the right size.

LunarMist

Yes, that is what I stated above. I paid around $400 for a 2.1MP Oly camera. It was much better made than most of today's digicams, and had a nice optical viewfinder. The camera was supplied with an 8MB SM card that held 5-6 images. :D