Another Digital Camera Thread - Point and Shoot

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I still have an Oly C-4000, my first digital. 4MP, larger sensor than today's PnS digitals. V. good pic quality if there was sufficient light.

At that time I panicked that SM cards would be discontinued and bought a truckload of them. THe whole stuff is in a box somewhere.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The era of 4-5 MP cameras were the best compromises in some ways. They did not have all that awful NR, but unfortunately few had any sort of IS.

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you still feel the same? I'm trying to decide whether to get one for the next venture and keep it in the front pocket.
Yeah, I still like it. I'm please with the picture quality. If I'm looking to shoot more seriously I use my Rebel XSi, but where I want something pocket-able it fits the bill.

LunarMist

Thanks. I received notification in the morning. Egg's always spamming me with the oddball Guerrilla deal. It looks like a BEM, rather than traditional revolutionary.

LunarMist

I have hundreds GB in CF cards here but no SDHC.

Water, water everywhere and not a drip to drink. :geek:

LunarMist

You must have a sh*tload of cards and/or a really inexpensive body. The tail seems to be wagging the dog there.

LunarMist

No. Perhaps in the past 7 years combined I've spent the amount for a used 1Ds series.

Why would you use 32GB cards in the 7D or need the 600x speed?

ddrueding

Fixture
Mainly to get files off in a hurry, but I must admit that I'm a bit addicted to the 8FPS high-speed mode, and that burns through speed and capacity quite well. The 720P@60FPS video is lovely also.

LunarMist

It turns out that I did not get the S90 today, but the second copy of the 7D. I
I was too preoccupied to count three vs. four packages when UPS dude arrived.
The fourth was still on the truck. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
When really desperate, I've made the delivery guy come back in his personal vehicle and drop off the forgotten package. It helps that he gave our secretary his cell number. ;)

LunarMist

According to the computer, he returned 10 minutes later after I had departed. :blue:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Quite so. Attractive and uninterested, so she posted the number at the front desk ;)

An attractive lady to sign for the UPS stuff is always good, because then she can ask him to pick up as the last stop on his route, thereby getting 6PM pickups without the hassles of driving to a UPS store etc. Plus he won't steal your stuff.

Back to cameras, Sony has announced an interesting camcorder/camera:

http://www.techradar.com/news/photo...corders/hands-on-sony-nex-vg10e-review-703379

APS sized sensor.

LunarMist

I don't have packages delivered at work. Not only is it illegal, but there is no recourse if one is damaged or mislaid. Mailroom is not staffed with women. I mainly see a couple of strong young guys that haul the packages around and deliver them to our offices.

Stereodude

Not really a
In my case it's depended on the job. Two jobs were small offices where it was no problem. One was for a huge company with thousands of people and the packages would have never found their way to me.

ddrueding

Fixture
Illegal? wow. I would find that...inconvenient.

Packages can't go to the house, because I don't have live monitoring of the driveway gates.

LunarMist

Packages can't go to the house, because I don't have live monitoring of the driveway gates.

High value items are often shipped from vendors with direct signature required that overides a signature release or leaving package with a neighbor, etc.

Stereodude

Not really a
Does the card speed matter much with a P/S? Do you shoot RAW only?
I bought the high speed cards for my Rebel XSi before I got the S90. To be completely candid, I have yet to shoot a single frame of RAW on the S90. :cry:

I don't know if they make any difference. I bought them with rebate deals so they weren't rally any more expensive than any other Class 6 SDHC cards at the time.

LunarMist

An 8GB EX III should be enough for a couple of weeks (I think).

LunarMist

I was only able to get off a few frames on the S90 before the battery died :( , but it seems to be functional. The battery charger is the size of the camera. I wish it charged via USB.

I am having a terrible time fumbling with the camera. What do you think of this grip? :idea:

LunarMist

The problem is that is is over engineered, not to mention one of those Paypal deals that does not work for me. I'm wondering about adding tape to at least prevent slippage. I've dropped the camera a couple of times already and have not taken it outside yet. Are there any self-adhesive tapes that have a grippy surface for the purpose?

Last edited:

LunarMist

I received the other card. RAW is useful to a degree, especially for PP NR. There is about 0.5 to 0.67 EV of highlight recovery possible too.