Another Digital Camera Thread - Point and Shoot

e_dawg

Storage Freak
LM, i have the S90 with the Franiec grip. Love the camera and the grip makes it noticeably better than before. Highly recommended. Yes, it's more expensive than a dinky grip mod should be, but what other choice do you have? I guess if you had the time or inclination, you could:

- carve one out of wood
- carve one out of a rubber block
- moulding one out of silicone rubber
- create a paper mache mould, put fiberglass resin/hardener on it, sand and paint it

... but otherwise, i'd much rather pay the $30, and i think you would too ;)

Sol

Storage is cool
I'd order one, but it is one of those paypal deals.

From your link you can also get one from lensmate. They seem to take paypal, a number of other cards (which may or may not be done through paypal) and personal cheques. Worth a try at least...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That was a while ago. The MP trend has reversed and (slightly) larger sensors with better noise characteristics are available.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I was pretty happy buying behind the curve and avoiding the high MP/compromised quality devices and getting good quality for the money.

If I want to stay cheap now I can only buy the ones I didn't want before. Those four thirds sensors sound interesting.

LunarMist

Different users have different needs. If it's not a pocketable I'd rather bring a FF body and lenses.

LunarMist

From your link you can also get one from lensmate. They seem to take paypal, a number of other cards (which may or may not be done through paypal) and personal cheques. Worth a try at least...

Thanks. I finally got a grip.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Anyone heard of or using CHDK?

For Canon P&S cameras, this is custom firmware that lets you do motion detection shooting, remoting operations, RAW output, and has scripting support via LUA, plus a heap of other features... Seems like an interesting extension for Canon cameras!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK and http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Features

PS. Checking supported models, some DSLRs are supported as well.

LunarMist

Yeah, it has been around for a long time. That firmware is mostly useful for the low-end P/S cameras that are more devoid of features.

Sol

Storage is cool
Sorry I'm not trying to say that that hack works on anything but Canon P&S cameras. The hackable firmware is great, and would probably get me to buy a canon over a nikon P&S, but if you want a pocket-able replacement for an SLR I think there are much better options.

I got a PEN EP-1 a couple of months back and put the Panasonic 20mm lens on it. I'm limited to just the one focal length but I can keep it in my pocket and pull it out when it's frosty on my walk to get lunch or snowing on my way home and get some good shots. (Or at least I can feel that I'm the limiting factor).

Sol

Storage is cool
Thanks, they were mostly learning shots though... Like learning not to use F 1.7 for macro shots unless you want 3/4 of your subject out of focus (In my defense I thought the smaller sensor would make up for it).

The weather here actually hasn't been that bad... It's been hovering around 0C mostly but that frosty day was really pretty freakish (-10 ish). The cold doesn't really bother my though, I love the snow (although I need more practice shooting it) and I'm quite happy to see the temperature drop a bit if it means I'll see more of it. I got sent home an hour after getting to work yesterday because it started snowing heavily so I spent the rest of the day taking snow photos.

LunarMist

Thanks, they were mostly learning shots though... Like learning not to use F 1.7 for macro shots unless you want 3/4 of your subject out of focus (In my defense I thought the smaller sensor would make up for it).

Using planar lenses and single images, there is no free DOF lunch. The useful DOF and image information is still limited by the same laws of physics as always.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Dead thread revival

Hi All,

Our old camera (Fuji S6500fd) is starting to die (sensor has started to degrade), and we are looking for a new camera. The wife has said no to an entry level DSLR or bridge camera, she wants it to fit in her pocket and be easy to carry. I'm primarily looking at the compacts with decent zoom.

I've looked around whats available locally and there is a huge range of cameras in our price range, but very few reviews on them. DPReview seems to only review the higher end compacts that are out of our price range.

The ones I'm looking at are the:
Canon PowerShot SX610 HS (AU$299)
Canon IXUS285HS Digital Camera (AU$299)
Nikon Coolpix S7000 (AU$239)

Primary use will be family activity events, (trips to zoos, parties, etc) and some macro shots of our son's pets...

Based on specs I'm leaning towards the Nikon but open to other options... Anything I should watch out for?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
To follow up on my own post, went to the local camera store today and looked the different models and options. Due to shortages in stock due to the issues in Japan related to the recent earth quakes (2 of the main sensor plants used by Sony, etc were damaged severely), the available range available was limited. (Was informed new Nikon bodies won't be available until mid-July for the mid-upper range models).

Played with all the options, including taking photos in store and looking at them on one of their PCs to confirm image quality, ended spending more than budgeted and came home with an Olympus Stylus 1. (The model was heavily discounted compared to the new Stylus 1s, they were getting rid of old stock).

And to answer my own question, the Nikon S7000 over the two Canons I listed, for those that are comparing those models.

LunarMist

You want the largest possible sensor (so-called 1") such as in the Sony RX100 series for good IQ.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks LM and SD.

Just make an interesting point, all the other cameras in the same class and price category as the Stylus 1 (that had optical zoom greater than 5x) all use 1/2.3" sensors, whereas the Stylus 1 uses a 1/1.7" sensor. The only two cameras to not use a 1/2.3" (in this class) are the Sony RX100 and Canon G9X (both 1" sensors), but only have 3.6x and 3x optical zoom respectively.

Stereodude

Not really a
Just make an interesting point, all the other cameras in the same class and price category as the Stylus 1 (that had optical zoom greater than 5x) all use 1/2.3" sensors, whereas the Stylus 1 uses a 1/1.7" sensor. The only two cameras to not use a 1/2.3" (in this class) are the Sony RX100 and Canon G9X (both 1" sensors), but only have 3.6x and 3x optical zoom respectively.
The RX100 IV only has a 24-70 equivalent, which is not 3.6x. Nikon and Panasonic also make models with a 1" sensor. Nikon has three, DL18-50, the DL24-85, and the DL24-500. The latter is not pocketable. Panasonic has the LX100 (24-75). Canon also has a G7x II (24-100).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The RX100 IV only has a 24-70 equivalent, which is not 3.6x. Nikon and Panasonic also make models with a 1" sensor. Nikon has three, DL18-50, the DL24-85, and the DL24-500. The latter is not pocketable. Panasonic has the LX100 (24-75). Canon also has a G7x II (24-100).
Unfortunately all those models (as priced locally) all range between AU$899 and AU$1299. The Stylus 1s retails for ~AU$600. My apologies, I should have clarified, by class, I meant in both features and price range, for my case mid range compacts with zoom (AU$400-AU$650).

Stereodude

Not really a
The Nikon DL models aren't available anyhow due to the most recent earthquake in Japan. The DL24-85 is interesting to me as a potential successor to my Sony RX100 II.

LunarMist

Another earthquake? :crap:

What happened to your RX100 II?

LunarMist

That 18-50 equivalent is more interesting if nothing else for the uniqueness.

LunarMist

It's just a name. Many companies buy obsolete names to sound better like the $2M Vol

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm thinking to get the new Sony RX100 VII ahead of a trip I'm taking overseas in the fall. I think it's overpriced, but no one else has a viable pocketable travel camera like it. The video from the new Canons (G7X III / G5X II) looks underwhelming and the early reports talk about overheating shooting 4K and the AF performance looks sketchy compared to the Sony which is bonkers. I'm thinking to pair the RX100 VII with the just announced Crane-M2 gimbal from Zhiyun.

LunarMist

I'm thinking to get the new Sony RX100 VII ahead of a trip I'm taking overseas in the fall. I think it's overpriced, but no one else has a viable pocketable travel camera like it. The video from the new Canons (G7X III / G5X II) looks underwhelming and the early reports talk about overheating shooting 4K and the AF performance looks sketchy compared to the Sony which is bonkers. I'm thinking to pair the RX100 VII with the just announced Crane-M2 gimbal from Zhiyun.

The price is about right. There are a lot of compromises with the size. What exactly are you doing with it and the Chinese stabilizer device? It seems that defeats part of the portability.