Audio Equipment

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How far can I run a line level audio coax cable without picking up to too much noise/hum?

LunarMist

The answer to you question is a big fat, "It depends".

What will be cable be run next to? What is nearby?

I'll probably run it around the doorway and along the wall into a computer speaker adjacent to the bed. I may just run one channel and only use one speaker.

LunarMist

That is what I'm trying to figure out. I suppose it depends on the length of the cables. I see some are 25' or 20'.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll second stereodude, that will be fine for <30 feet. And Monoprice's prices are still unbelievable.

I just got the 4x4 HDMI matrix switch and a bunch of cables last night. Today is play time.

Handruin

Administrator
Here is the end result of playing around with making my own speaker cables now with GLS locking banana connectors.

I chose to cut the extra length off the wire pant boots because I felt it looked disproportional. Some people leave the full length on, but I didn't care for it.

(click to enlarge)

ddrueding

Fixture
I just got the 4x4 HDMI matrix switch and a bunch of cables last night. Today is play time.

Finally got all the cabling to make this work, and it is just as advertised.

Inputs:

Computer 1
Computer 2
PS3

Outputs:

Left Desk
Right Desk
Projector
Bedroom

The only annoyance is a <1sec blackout when adding an additional output to an existing channel. If I've been watching "Computer 1" on "Right Desk" and add "Projector", the display on "Right Desk" goes blank for a moment.

And the price can't be beat.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looking to get a stereo line-out from the bedroom to the amp in the equipment closet, and get the signal for the subwoofer back to the room. I have a pair of CAT5 cables to do it.

Is this what I'm looking for? What is the difference between the top three items? Is there something better I should be looking at? The run is ~75' of CAT5.

I also need a small powered sub to fit under the bed (6-7" high max).

Handruin

Administrator
Looking to get a stereo line-out from the bedroom to the amp in the equipment closet, and get the signal for the subwoofer back to the room. I have a pair of CAT5 cables to do it.

Is this what I'm looking for? What is the difference between the top three items? Is there something better I should be looking at? The run is ~75' of CAT5.

I also need a small powered sub to fit under the bed (6-7" high max).

The first unit converts four unbalanced RCA audio into a balanced run over CAT5. You would use this one to connect the preamp output from your receiver into this unit to send to the next unit.

The second unit converts four balanced audio (the CAT 5) into unbalanced RCA. You would connect this into your amplifiers preamp input.

The third unit can do either of the above two, but limits you to two channels where as the other two have four channels. I think you could use this to send signals in both directions.

I think you would need one of each of the first two. BLD10 and BLR10

I see the pathing as follows:

Receiver preamp out > BLD10 RCA in > BLD 10 CAT5 >>>>>> BLR 10 CAT5 > BLR10 RCA out > amplifier RCA in.

Handruin

Administrator
If you're open to other options, you may also be able to use a balanced to unbalanced converter and run the balanced XLR cables the long distance.

Now that I've reread your original post, you may want the BLX 10 because it sounds like you need to go a long distance and then come back. You might need two of them. since you need an input and an output on both ends of the 75' run.

Are you trying to do this:

Stereo out bedroom > BLX 10 >>>>CAT 5>>>> BLX10 > Amp in equipment closet (amp for what?)

Subwoofer input bedroom < BLX10 <<<<CAT 5<<<< something producing a subwoofer signal

ddrueding

Fixture
There are speakers in the ceiling in the bedroom, driven by an amp in the equipment closet. These speakers don't quite have the low-end I would like, so I want to add a sub. The only place to put it is under the bed, which has a 7" clearance.

I would also like to have the option of feeding the amp with a source from the bedside (laptop, portable music device, etc).

So. I need a way to get audio from a 1/8" jack in the bedroom to the amp in the closet, and a way to get the subwoofer signal from the amp in the closet back to the sub under the bed.

Sorry for not being more clear in the original post; I'm still figuring this out myself.

fb

Storage is cool
I'm trying to keep to the most basic, standardized systems possible. I have enough custom UIs and dedicated software management apps already. I just want a cable from A to B.
"A cable"? :rotfl:

You know that some of the multi room systems, like the one from Naim can be integrated with home automation systems? And the Squeezebox and Sonos have their own remote controls, just like the Onkyos or your TV.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Balanced runs were developed to neutralize interference to low level signals over long distances. In short, dynamic microphones in a PA situation.

You have high signal levels (1V RMS) and a modest distance (23m). Unless you have industrial machinery in the ceiling, I doubt that you need to set up balanced runs.

You could use a single 4-core shielded cable to manage both directions and still have a spare core. Make sure it's only earthed at the receiver end and that shielding is maintained through the breakout at each end, and you should be sweet.

You can test this before installation by just connecting something via a 75' shielded cable and checking for audible noise or hum.

ddrueding

Fixture
"A cable"? :rotfl:

You know that some of the multi room systems, like the one from Naim can be integrated with home automation systems? And the Squeezebox and Sonos have their own remote controls, just like the Onkyos or your TV.

Yeah, I know. I'm in charge of several home automation/home lighting/whole house audio systems. Ne Hochu. The things they all have in common:

1. Massive cost
2. Technology lock-down (what they offer is what they offer, when the next thing comes out, buy their new system)
3. Custom specific interfaces ($10k touchscreens, funny wall panels that don't match anything else, support for iPods but not something else)

A cable is compatible with whatever I want, and can interact with my systems any way I choose.

Handruin

Administrator
You could also try offering OneCall a lower price and see if they accept it. Just click the link that says "Tell us your price".

Handruin

Administrator
I decided to order the Belkin PureAV PF60 and it was supposed to be here today. Instead I had a police officer at my door when I got home to tell me it had been stolen. lol Likely some kids took it and once they opened it and found how boring it was, the ditched it. Now the police are going to hold on to it as evidence for some length of time.

ddrueding

Fixture
So the delivery company had put it on your porch, someone took it, opened it, and abandoned it in a public location, where it was brought to the attention of the police, who then sent someone to your house to wait for you to get home?

Wow. That is pretty wild.

Handruin

Administrator
Yup, it shipped UPS from amazon. Between the time they left it and the time I got home, someone snagged it. An anonymous person phone it in to the police as abandoned at a park near by. The police came and picked it up but didn't find the person who called it in (yet).

They then stopped over to my house first but no one was home yet. he then went to UPS to inform them of the issue and gave them a case number. Then he stopped back at my house and my girlfriend was home so he talked to her first. He then went door to door around the neighborhood asking people if they saw anyone and during that time I got home just as he was on his way back to my house. He told me he has to keep it as evidence for a while in case they find someone (unlikely). I can then get in contact with them to reclaim it. He said it was open but didn't look damaged.

I called amazon and the guy was nice. He has never had a case like this so he had to put me on hold for a while. He said he couldn't replace the item but would refund me the cost since it was through a third party seller. He did ask for the case ID which I had, so all is good. Now I just wait to see if I can get it back and some how it looks like it'll be for free...albeit slightly opened and used. :) Assuming it's not broken...that's a decent deal considering the small inconvenience.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow. I understand that the police need to pursue crime, it is what they do and crime is a bad thing, but I wonder what the cost of just your case is.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow. I understand that the police need to pursue crime, it is what they do and crime is a bad thing, but I wonder what the cost of just your case is.

The cost of a prosecution will almost always exceed the value of items stolen etc. You can't have people stealing shit from peoples front stoops.

Handruin: I would change your courier permissions so they either get a signature or take it back to the local depot for personal pickup.

Handruin

Administrator
I finally got the Belkin unit back from the police station this morning. The box was torn to pieces, but the unit was without damage. I plugged it in and it turned on. I haven't had a chance to connect anything up to it yet, but it's pretty basic so I'm not expecting any issues.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Question for audiophiles and specifically to SD:

How good is the Aphex Aural Exciter? It's about $350, so it better be good.

The bulk of my music suffers from lack of bottom and top end because of poor recording. The premise of the Exciter is it puts back what's missing - harmonics. I've been mulling buying it for the last 30 years, but keep forgetting about it. Right now I can't afford it anyways, but perhaps sometime in the future.