BitMicro preps 832GB SSD 2.5 inch SATA

Handruin

Administrator
I'd of guessed more $ given I've seen some 32GB unit's for around $1000. Maybe they really have some type of breakthrough making them much cheaper now? $5k is still very high for the majority of us.

ddrueding

Fixture
128GB is over $3k, so I would guess this is around $10k. Just a guess.

Also keep in mind this is one of the faster 100mbps devices.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-buyers-guide.html

Of more practical note (not shipping yet, but soon? STEC's $5/GB up to 512GB capacity SSD...expected to drop to $2GB in 2yrs) would be if Samsung actually ships a 128GB MLC SSD in 'volume' H108 in both 1.8in for ultra thin laptops like the rumored announcement by Apple next week, or 2.5in for any laptop...who knows when this product will actually be available at the retail level?

BicMicro already announced intentions to ship samples 1Q08, their 3.5in SSD with capacities up to 1.6TB, up to 230MB/s (640GB capacity in 1in thick form factor)

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_altima_35_4gbfc.php

The 2.5 832GB 'announcement' with 'expected' volume Q308. Both products aimed at high-end business/industrial customers, not general computing segments. ie $$$$

hmmm, if they only get down to $2GB@512GB 2.5in capacity, you'd never see a SSD of that capacity, in anything other than some $$$$+ laptop, as 512GB 2.5in thicker than 9.5mm standard HD drives have already been announced, expect 9.5mm size 512GB 2.5in HD's by year's end, for way less than $1k

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Wow, a 500GB notebook drive will be great! I can cut back from six external 2.5" drives to three for travel. :)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I really think these announcements are just meant to tease people.

I just want a 32GB SSD in SATA format that can do 100 MB/s for around $300. I guess if the market was there or the technology was there someone would be selling it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I really think these announcements are just meant to tease people.

I just want a 32GB SSD in SATA format that can do 100 MB/s for around $300. I guess if the market was there or the technology was there someone would be selling it.

The market is certainly there, and I suspect the tech is really darn close. I wonder what is holding it up? Volume production? Lack of competition? Large vendors sucking up the supply at higher cost?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
BicMicro already announced intentions to ship samples 1Q08, their 3.5in SSD with capacities up to 1.6TB, up to 230MB/s (640GB capacity in 1in thick form factor)
Assuming this is true, then SSDs have already surpassed capacity of magnetic disks. Of course, there's still that pesky little cost per GB factor, but that will fall soon enough.

hmmm, if they only get down to $2GB@512GB 2.5in capacity, you'd never see a SSD of that capacity, in anything other than some $$$$+ laptop, as 512GB 2.5in thicker than 9.5mm standard HD drives have already been announced, expect 9.5mm size 512GB 2.5in HD's by year's end, for way less than $1k
I think $2 per GB is probably realistic sometime this year as we move to smaller process sizes. That's also the point at which SSDs start to become very viable. I'll be happy to buy something around 50GB to use as a boot drive for perhaps $100.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Assuming this is true, then SSDs have already surpassed capacity of magnetic disks. Of course, there's still that pesky little cost per GB factor, but that will fall soon enough.

I think $2 per GB is probably realistic sometime this year as we move to smaller process sizes. That's also the point at which SSDs start to become very viable. I'll be happy to buy something around 50GB to use as a boot drive for perhaps $100.

Geez, jtr you are ever the optimist...when it comes to certain technologies, everything else ;). 640GB in 1in thick form factor, 1.6TB is probably an array or some sorts, much as you could do with multiple 1TB HD's, for a price factor of <1/10th what these high-end industrial targeted SSD's are being sold for.

Considering my others posts on this subject, I kind of doubt we'll seen that magical 32nm process this year or even next...oh sure there will be 'annoucements' 'expected' 'volume shipping'. We'll be lucky if we get 40nm process this year that Samsung 'annouced' in the Fall of 2006. And if you were to follow Intel's CPU line, the just annouced 45nm process Penryn for mobile uses, prices are the same, performance modest boost, except for SSE4 optimized software, just slightly lower power consumption. The next gen Monteviña chipset that complements the Penryn, to come out sometime around the summer, will allow DDR3 RAM, which are more power efficient than DDR2, but we're not talking about great price drops that SSD proponents say we are supposed to be seeing real soon.

So do you really think the latest 128GB announcement by Samsung to ship sometime in the 1st half of this year (lol, retail...bets on late Fall-Winter '08 at the earliest, dvnation a few months earlier?) is going to cost only $256? I think that's pure fantasy. Maybe next year, but no way this year. Well alright, if we get 128GB for $256, I fully expect 150lm/w LED's in volume production for the same price as those you just bought late last year over on CPF, which had to be sourced from Europe, not exactly 'widely' available as yet. Why, I also expect you think we will see that Mitsubishi laser TV by the end of the year too, for the same price as competing technology :p ?