Cable Internet Speeds

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a middle of the road package with my ISP and I just got a $20 discount on my package (with a speed bump to boot). What type of speeds are you guys getting nowadays?
33755.png

Handruin

Administrator
Base comcast package for cable internet:

9057.png

My upload sucks compared to yours.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
44556.png

Slower than my previous plan, but unlimited download/upload amount. 40$/month, business account. Enough for my needs.

Handruin

Administrator
^^^I'd say that's pretty good deal for the money. What's that, like $7.95 USD?

Piyono

Storage is cool
9492.png

Wow... I'm having a bad night. My speeds usually measure closer to what Clocker's results were.

Piyono

Piyono

Storage is cool
[url="http://speedtest.dslreports.com]
73582.png
[/url]

Yeah, it's going back up.

Of course, I used a different data center for each test.

Piyono

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not sure what software you are using, but I'd not bother to test speeds. I have the slowest, cheapest DSLR internet. At least it is reliable compared to the cable company that has mysterious outages at inopportune times, sometimes for several hours. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
Yawn:

6781.png

The wireless and encryption probably had something do with with the low download numbers. On my desktop I usually have no problems getting the whole 6Mbit/sec.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!

I paid $150 for 6 months of use (prepaid), bandwidth of 6GB for the 6 months. Package expires on reaching bandwidth limit or 6 months, whichever occurs first. Lucky, ain't I? :dunno:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Forgot to add, my rated speed is supposed to 1 Mb, I think (or maybe 2 Mb). The paper is somewhere.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I don't live in Mexico, I live in Québec. Our dollar is worth 95¢ US. So my 40$ is like ~38U$. Where did you get that convertion?

LOL... he was joking, Coug. Back when it was 1 CAD = 0.63 USD, it felt like we were using pesos whenever we had to order anything from the states.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow Howell, those are some amazing UL numbers. That is with the basic plan? Did you do anything erm, special, with your modem?

I'm concerned that my UL has been capped in some way due to the fact that I use most of it most of the time. I don't even know if this is possible with cable modem tech.

Handruin

Administrator
Coug it was a joke. :) I know the Canadan dollar is much better these days compared to the USD.

Howell, those are some fantastic upload numbers as ddrueding mentioned!

Adcadet

Storage Freak
3 MBps down, 256k up. Usually comes in at 2.8 MBps down. $20/month for the first 6 months, then jumps to $53/month. At that point I'll probably spend the extra $3/month for the 5 MBps service.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Those speeds are really nice. How long do those extra speed bursts last with Comcast's 'speedboost'? How much does it cost?

My price guaranteed until 2010 is about $125 per month (including modem) but that includes my internet, unlimited phone with caller-id on the tv & digital cable TV with digital DVR box, an additional analog box, HBO, Starz and Encore.

Stereodude

Not really a
Those speeds are really nice. How long do those extra speed bursts last with Comcast's 'speedboost'? How much does it cost?
The boost is maybe 10-15 seconds. Where I live it seems to boost to about 20-25Mbit/sec Speedboost is included in the standard Comcast HSI.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

My price guaranteed until 2010 is about $125 per month (including modem) but that includes my internet, unlimited phone with caller-id on the tv & digital cable TV with digital DVR box, an additional analog box, HBO, Starz and Encore.

Standard Comcast home cable. About $45 a month. The Speedboost doesn't help much when the sending server is slow. I tried 5-6 sites to download Ubuntu and all were pathetic at about 125k-200k or less.

What is it about Linux downloads that make then pathetically slow? Every 'Nix flavour I have ever downloaded was agonizingly slow.

Bozo :joker: