CNN: AMD + ATI = Pure goodness

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Nothing seems to be good for the consumer any more...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sounds like a nightmare to me. HTF am I supposed to believe that the current standout best combination for performance and reliability (AMD CPU & Nvidia graphics) won't get crippled "by accident".

Serious conflict of interest there, AMD, please don't do it!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I see this as a good thing. I believe it will give ATI access to smaller geometry production facilities faster than the current method of subcontracting the graphics chipset. If AMD does it right, on-board graphics technology will leap-frog Nvidia and Intel. Further direct access to smaller geometry production facilities for High performance ATI products should be producing higher speeds at lower power than Nvidia. This is a win-win scenario.

Now that is the optimists viewpoint. The possibility that AMD/ATI will screw it up royally is definately out there.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Apparently Intel is ending its use of ATI-integrated GPUs in its higher-end integrated motherboards but will continue to support Crossfire. Did anyone not see that coming?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess Intel is going to have to go back to making their own chipsets.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
I guess Intel is going to have to go back to making their own chipsets.

Not a bad thing, IMHO. IIRC, they were never the performance leader, but set reliability standards that others strived for.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
Not a bad thing, IMHO. IIRC, they were never the performance leader, but set reliability standards that others strived for.

As of late, I don't think that they were the reasonable-shipping-time leader either. This is why they were using ATi chipsets.