Date for cheaper 6 cores i7?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Anyone knows when we should expect the cheaper (lower frequency) Core i7 with 6 cores. The i7 980X is all great for the rich bastards, but for the common mortal, Intel's 6 cores processor won't be an option until there's a model selling for 600$ or less.

I'm really looking for a 3.2GHz version, but I don't plan to wait 6 months for it since I already have the motherboard, the RAM and the power supply.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Intel CPU's drop in price when one of three things happen.

1. Intel releases a brand new chip(s).
2. AMD adjusts their prices to be competitive.
3. Intel has a over abundance of supply because of improvements in production.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Anyone knows when we should expect the cheaper (lower frequency) Core i7 with 6 cores.

I'm really looking for a 3.2GHz version, but I don't plan to wait 6 months for it since I already have the motherboard, the RAM and the power supply.

SOL I guess:

Google ur friend: search terms - "Intel Core i7 6 cores"

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17499/35/

corei7n_logo.png

Non-extreme six-core

Only yesterday we have reported that Intel plans to launch the Core i7 970, here, and we can confirm that the CPU is real and that this is yet another six core.
Core i7 970 is not an extreme version but this six core will run at 3.2GHz. Naturally it has 12 hyperthreading cores and its QPI delivers 6.4GB/s. With the help of Turbo overclocking this CPU will be able to reach the 3.46GHz mark and it supports 1066 DDR3 memory.

The TDP is 130W, the same as with the 3.33GHz clocked Core i7 980X. The Core i7 970 should launch in Q3 2010.

Also read

Intel plans Core i7 970

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Now days it's price is $999 . Price is doesn't meter according to me because quality and quantity both is awesome . I like this feature most in it to see a task manager screenshot during the different multi-threaded benchmarks .

It's not like I could not afford to buy one, but they are rather expensive just to check out the taskman. :) The more cores or virtual ones a CPU has the more difficult it is to eyeball utilization in the task bar for single-threaded apps.

ddrueding

Fixture
Completely irrelevant to choices made today. You can get 6-cores now, and in 18 months, when it is available, the CPU will be so expensive that a new motherboard will be chump change.

LunarMist

I was hoping for more than one new system in this lifetime.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I was hoping for more than one new system in this lifetime.

With Intel that's never a problem ;)

Assuming you meant you don't want another system in your lifetime, socket G34 with a dual or quad socket mobo will give you as many 12 core chips as you desire.

Handruin

Administrator
I think in all the years of building computers I upgraded a CPU using the same socket once. having a new socket come out isn't a big deal. How often do people here put a faster/newer CPU into the same socket where this change affects you?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
How often do people here put a faster/newer CPU into the same socket where this change affects you?

Socket 7 days (went from a Cyrix P120 to a P-MMX 233).

Since then, I've done near full replacements due to the age of the current gear when I replace it, eg can't use the same RAM, video card, PSU, etc. (The only exception has been the HDDs). But then again, I only upgrade every 3-4 years at a time.

Unless you are upgrading the CPU every 6-12 months, I don't see the longevity of a socket design as being an issue.

PS. There is growing information about the new AMD Phenom X6's. Still not competitively at the top end, but when comparing performance per $, they do come out quite good.

LunarMist

How often do people here put a faster/newer CPU into the same socket where this change affects you?

Usually once and sometimes twice. I even had one Slot 1 board with four different CPUs over 2.5 years.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think I've only had one desktop board that didn't get a CPU upgrade (or perhaps a downgrade) at some point in its life. And I got that one used.

But as I get older I think I'm starting to think of PCs more as a commodity item. I'm pretty tempted to buy an off the shelf Dell when I finally upgrade my desktop (1-2 years). Stick a decent gfx card, perhaps some more ram, and my standard 3 HDD's in there and I think I'll be set. My only problem with Dells is that they usually are limited on the number of HDD mounts.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think in all the years of building computers I upgraded a CPU using the same socket once. having a new socket come out isn't a big deal. How often do people here put a faster/newer CPU into the same socket where this change affects you?
I've upgraded my current computer three times -- and I'd have done it again, if these S940 chips hadn't become so bleeping expensive after AMD switched sockets.

I think it's nice to have a stable platform to make upgrades on. Who wants to start of scratch every time you want to get the latest and greatest?

Thank goodness they don't do this crap with graphics cards. Imagine needing to get a new motherboard every time you wanted to upgrade that....