Do nVidia cards still have crappy analog 2D quality?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I'm looking for a new video card to drive my CRTs. I run them at 1920x1440, so the card needs to have good analog output.

I've always used Matrox in the past, but with 2D in most OSes being rendered using the 3D pipelines nowadays, I've realized I'm going to need a decent 3D card one day. I'm considering doing it now, because I'm repurposing a box very soon anyway. I automatically leaned towards ATI because I saw a lot of terrible analog output from nVidia cards back in the day. I don't want to spend much money, so I was looking at the X1600 & 7600 range of cards.

I vaguely recall reading that texture memory can be a limiting factor at high resolutions & bitdepth with these 3D GUIs. Both X1600 & 7600 cards have 512MB versions. Does anyone have details on how texture memory limits one's resolution & bitdepth with these 3D desktops?

With respect to the last I understand that you need >-128MB for 1600x1200 on Vista. Since I use Linux I don't know if XGl cares, and I have no idea what happens with 2 displays at 1920x1440.

I guess this turned into a bunch of questions, so quickly:
1. Do nVidia cards still suck at analog 2D?
2. Do ATI cards suck too :(? (i.e. should I use Matrox & a 2D desktop for as long as I use my CRTs?)
3. What's up with graphics memory requirements on 3D desktops with respect to resolution & bitdepth?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
By the way, I stuck with Matrox before (had strong deja vu typing this post).

The X1800XT is highly recommended on a bunch of sites, but the prices in Canada are still in the stratosphere everywhere that I regularly buy (NCIX & Robotnik). Right up beside the 7950GTX2 low profile jet engine.

Stereodude

Not really a
Does anyone actually still use the analog output on video cards?

As long as you're using DVI pretty much all the cards are going to have identical image quality. The last few nVidia cards I've used have had good analog outputs as well.

ddrueding

Fixture
At the gamecenter I'm using X1600s @ 2048x1536 on a Sony GDM-500 (or something) 24" widescreen CRT. The 2D seems pretty good to me.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Stereodude said:
Does anyone actually still use the analog output on video cards?

As long as you're using DVI pretty much all the cards are going to have identical image quality. The last few nVidia cards I've used have had good analog outputs as well.
Ya, I'm still using CRTs for photo editing. Big, nice LCDs still have enough real disadvantages, not enough real advantages, and too much cost to have pulled me in yet. Everytime I think about how little I'll be getting for my money compared to what I already have, I pass.

I'm beginning to think that I'll probably end up skipping the cold cathode backlit LCD thing entirely and save my money for an SED or LED LCD in 3 or 4 years. Or whatever else they come up with.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I still use CRTs in preference to LCDs. I have *two* LCD monitors out of all the PCs I have.
Every LCD monitor large enough for main-monitor use (I'm thinking this means 24" or so) is unfortunately saddled with 16:9 orientation. LCDs have color accuracy issues, refresh issues and viewing angle issues.

When I can get a largish LCD with a proper aspect ratio, I might re-evaluate my position, but doing general computing on a widescreen display is not my idea of a good time.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gilbo said:
I'm beginning to think that I'll probably end up skipping the cold cathode backlit LCD thing entirely and save my money for an SED or LED LCD in 3 or 4 years. Or whatever else they come up with.
Me too. SED! I want SED!

Gilbo

Storage is cool
An article on the Register has slightly more useful details on graphics memory requirements for Vista's Aero. I have no idea if XGl or AIGLX (the linux 3D rendering GUIs) have similar memory requirements.

Details:
* 64MB of graphics memory for a resolution below 1,280 x 1,024
* 128MB for a resolution between 1,280 x 1,024 and 1,920 x 1,280
* 256MB of graphics memory for a resolution greater than 1,920 x 1,200)

I assume you have to double everything for dual displays.
Linky