Does anyone remember when ...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
CityK said:
Beyond HDDs, were there not many people who had burners and rom drives stuck in PIO mode?

Actually, I don't know... what have you heard?

Good luck with that
Got my trusty O'Reilly books to guide me through it....by this time next year I should be tar'ing this, awk'ing that.[/quote]

Well guess who will be coming over to your house with his PC for Linux help :mrgrn:

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
I don't know what you're complaining about, e_dawg. I can make a linux box do anything a Windows machine can and vice versa. KDE works very well for Windows-types and the default apps that are available with Mandrake (which I've never used) and SuSE (which I have, and like well enough) can get any common userland job done.

e_dawg's first bone to pick witht Linux: if the damn thing won't work on supposedly supported hardware despite futzing around with it for weeks, it's not fit for public consumption.

Admittedly, I am lacking a certain Linux kung-fu, but I am disappointed that despite numerous tries with various distros (RH 6 and 7, Mandrake 6 and 7, Caldera 2.4) and versions of XFree86, GNOME, KDE, and even just straight bash on two different systems I built with Linux compatibility in mind (it drove me nuts trying to find components that were on the HCL's of various Linux distros and Win 98SE/NT4), I could never get X to run stably and quickly. It was always unstable, slow, or both. In the first system, I had a Riva TNT, which was an officially supported and accelerated TNT X server drivers. In the 2nd system, I specifically waited until XFree86 4.0 came out so I could run my ATI AIW 128 using the officially supported and accelerated R128 X server drivers... I also had lots of "fun" trying to get my Aureal 8830 based Diamond Monster MX300 sound card to work, using some third party unsupported drivers that I had to compile into the kernel (not to mention learning how to compile the kernel in the first place). And when I finally did get sound on my PC, it was really glitchy/would stop entirely/unable to control the volume level.

e_dawg's second bone to pick witht Linux: if there are no compelling applications to run on an OS, why would you bother running it?

When I used Linux, there was precious little in the way of compelling software (that I use) for Linux (and to a certain extent, that still holds true). StarOffice, KOffice, and other pretenders couldn't and can't do any of the functions (like VBA driven spreadsheets or upsizing tables to SQL Server) that make an advanced office suite like MS Office worthwhile (as opposed to using some cheapo integrated package like MS Works)... There weren't any decent web browsers for the longest time -- until Moz 1.2 and Opera 7.2 came out IMO. Nor were there any good mail/scheduling programs until GNOME Evolution was introduced; Palm sync support was nonexistent (and still is problematic) as well... No Winamp? 'Nuff said.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
it's true that soom hardware can be problematic, even if it is supported you might need a little "kung-fu" to make it work well or at all.

It's best to ask around or read reviews/setup guides to find hardware that is supported well vs just supported.

I've found that many of the onboard sound solutions are supported very well and are detected, installed, and work perfectly right after installation.

I've never had any problems with a vid card, but I guess it's possible...

Nics that are in common use are basically plug an play anymore, which is a far cry from my 1st experience with linux where you had the option of the "ne", a few 3com specific drivers, or the "tulip" driver or compile/hack the driver yourself.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Please don't mention kung-fu and hardware with Coug around, he'll probably break something!

Windows XP works just fine for me and my customers. Had issues with Windows 2000 and hardware compatibility early on and was happy with the huge driver base that came with XP.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
Please don't mention kung-fu and hardware with Coug around, he'll probably break something!
Kung-fu doesn't motivate me very much. I look more like Hulk than Bruce Lee when I'm pissed about a computer.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Couple of things to keep in mind:
1. My education in computer science was conducted almost exclusively on Unix systems. This puts me in a very different place WRT to Linux than most people.
2. I've been using Linux for a long time. 10 years, now.

It is very easy and very possible to get Linux up and running smoothly. There are a couple of legitimate complaints for X. The setup doesn't detect refresh rates, and because the windowing system isn't built into the kernel it's not as responsive as Windows would be. On the other hand, RDP doesn't work nearly so well as X; I have 3 Linux machines but only one desktop.

Hardware compatibility hasn't been an issue for a long time IMO. There might be some fiddling with hdparm involved in making a Linux system fast, but this is not that difficult. Ethernet is downright simple; WLAN hardware can be a pain at times but with the NDIS wrapper, all those fall in line as well.

Good apps?

Let's talk about the #1 good linux app. The "There are no obnoxious Viruses" Linux app. That's a very good app. And the "a patch is a patch, not 150MB worth of service pack downloads before you can install the patch" application. That's also a good one.*

* I upgraded my great aunt's PC from Windows 98 non-SE to Windows 2000 at my last family gathering. Whereupon it was INSTANTLY hit with welchia. I couldn't install the patch until I installed 2000 SP2 and all I had was a 33.6 connection to the internet. That made for looonnnnggg day.

The high degree of customization possible with the various window managers is certainly nice, too.

Linux had Mozilla for a lot longer than 1.2. I used some of the Seamonkey builds, and Netscape 4.x before that. Konq works well, too. xmms is more-or-less a 100% clone of WinAmp. I'd argue that almost no one needs the features of an "advanced office package"; I can do everything I want with Wordperfect (although I need to switch to OpenOffice someday soon; it's a pain to make it run on new distros), and my needs are comparitively complex.
Complaining about the lack of VB scripting on Linux is, well, pointless and unnecessary. You have perl. You have tk. You have php and python. You have so many scripting options it's not even funny. Where's the problem?
"Upsizing databases" is somewhat amusing. What're you doing that your data isn't in a proper database to begin with (with linux, mysql, postgres and oracle are all free and should be able to cover any need you have)? If you're really worried about it, you can do that stuff on a Windows box and use an ODBC connector to your database of choice.

I think what you're really complaining about is that Linux doesn't have Outlook, IE or VBA.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
Let's talk about the #1 good linux app. The "There are no obnoxious Viruses" Linux app. That's a very good app. And the "a patch is a patch, not 150MB worth of service pack downloads before you can install the patch" application. That's also a good one.

But then you need to mention the #1 windows app, the "everyone knows how to use it and compatibility is guaranteed" app. Linux won't have that one for a LONG time...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
ddrueding said:
But then you need to mention the #1 windows app, the "everyone knows how to use it and compatibility is guaranteed" app. Linux won't have that one for a LONG time...

Indeed, that is my reason for sticking with Windows. My customers are very familiar with the OS, and all of their software is Windows compatible. Most of the software does not come in a Linux version, and so they would have to learn a whole new application. You say run an emulation for Windows on Linux? I don't think so, most of my clients (business accounts) don't go for that.

Mercutio

ddrueding said:
Mercutio said:

Do you use the same Windows I do?

I see people struggle CONSTANTLY with the same basic tasks, day after day. Copy a file? What's a file? Even folks whose job requires 8 hours a day spent in Outlook know... Outlook. And that's about it.

What's the difference between not knowing Windows well enough and not knowing KDE well enough?

Compatibility on windows is pretty obnoxious as well. Several of my clients have line-of-business apps that won't run on one Windows or another. Gamers have horror stories about getting game X to run on Windows Y.

David, have you tried loading Exchange 2003 on 2000 Server? I couldn't get it to work.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
David, have you tried loading Exchange 2003 on 2000 Server? I couldn't get it to work.

Actually, yes. I tried, and no it doesn't work. Rather, it would work...if you had a 2k3 DC on the domain somewhere.

But it seems people hold windows and linux to different standards. In windows, everything is expected to work with everything. Linux people seem to be perfectly OK with fairly restrictive HCLs and software dependancies. I haven't even looked at an HCL since NT4...

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
I see people struggle CONSTANTLY with the same basic tasks, day after day. Copy a file? What's a file? Even folks whose job requires 8 hours a day spent in Outlook know... Outlook. And that's about it.

Well, what can I say? Stupid people are...stupid. But 90% of people that know something about computers know about windows.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi Tannin:

Yes, we had that discussion, long ago. Given time, 2000 did prove to be an excellent system.

Wonder if you could have repaired your version, rather then reinstalling?

I recently lost an install, and I believe it was due to a loose scsi card, and a bad cable, corrupting files.

Now, it's granite digital, and I have no worries.

I've always loved Gary's notes that allow you to download the service packs for 2000. Keep those around for cases where you need it.

XP, and OS X both sucked with scsi support, iirc. Slow data transfer rates, and hardly any device support.

I've been playing with OS 9.21 at work, and it sucks. It has hardware install problems, like driver conflicts, etc. that just drive me nuts.

I also have a laptop that I've brought out of mothballs. 366 mhz P3
Panasonic. It has two os on it 98se and 2000.
2000 is a bit slow on this machine, even after tweaking. While 98se is faster, setting the machine up to do the most simple networking tasks is just a nightmare compared to 2000.

I have to use the laptop for filling out forms, since I'm too cheap to pay for an Adobe Mac version of Acrobat Reader, so that I could save my work, using the IEP forms we use. The pc version opens in it's own
Omnipage format, and allow saving.

I will say the Epson 5200 works flawlessly with both OS 2000 and mac 9.21.

Mercutio, you bring up a good point. It's really about what you are familiar with, and, what you've put the time into to know all the in's and outs. I've done macs, 6x,7x,8x,9x,10X, and a bit of 95-98, lots of 2000, and no XP. Dabbled with a number of installs of linux, but, I'm just not very good at it, and, or, I have other, better uses for the machine, at the time.

Backup, etc.

2000 is really pretty easy to install, since it has a very good driver base.

It's also got most of the bugs worked out, as well.

That's something I don't get with Linux. It seems like every version I've tried has something that makes it not work with whatever I'm trying to do.

Redhat would probably be the one for me to try, but, right now, the only other box I have needs to have 2000 on it, and, it's used for data backup.

Perhaps when I rebuild my box, I'll make another one out of the old parts, and try it on that.

Some how a Athlon 1.4 ghz Linux box sounds like fun.
s

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Of course we remember that, Tony. I actually converted to Win2000 at about the same time and am also at about the end of the useful life of my installation. I cannot decide whether to reinstall 2000 or upgrade to XP Pro. The conversion to XP Pro should be much less expensive than reinstalling 2000, but I have no confidence that all of the older hardware and software will work correctly. I am also very concerned about the XP cache write bug, which may or may not be circumvented by the CAS XPcachefilter.

I think you know, but do check your write transfer rates if you are running Win2K SP3 or 4. You may need to apply the Dskcache.exe Tool for Win2000.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
ddrueding said:

For most people it doesn't matter if it's Linux or Windows, that "everyone knows" just means a familiar icon that you click on, and a few other buttons after that.

As for compatibility, I've just spent a few evenings trying to get some of my friends games to work in XP. Aargh, can't really tell him to install Win98 on the computer so that it's compatible with the games he has, can I (Yes, the games are 95/98/XP "compatible"). If compatibility is so good, why do we need that compatibility mode in XP for programs so oftern?

Although I must agree, things seem quite compatible now, after every driver and program on the market has come out with a new version so that it will work with the latest windows.

Stupid peope....Maybe they just concentrate on something more important for them in their work, which just doesn't equal to using other than a few programs on a computer?

I just woke up and might not think so straight yet, so please, be gentle with me ... :mrgrn:

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
It is very easy and very possible to get Linux up and running smoothly.

LOL... See your own quote below in case you forgot how you're different that most of us Linux dabblers:

Mercutio said:
Couple of things to keep in mind:
1. My education in computer science was conducted almost exclusively on Unix systems. This puts me in a very different place WRT to Linux than most people.
2. I've been using Linux for a long time. 10 years, now.

Hardware compatibility hasn't been an issue for a long time IMO. There might be some fiddling with hdparm involved in making a Linux system fast, but this is not that difficult. Ethernet is downright simple; WLAN hardware can be a pain at times but with the NDIS wrapper, all those fall in line as well.

You're practically begging me to PM you with all my problems during my next stab at Linux :)

Good apps?

Let's talk about the #1 good linux app. The "There are no obnoxious Viruses" Linux app. That's a very good app. And the "a patch is a patch, not 150MB worth of service pack downloads before you can install the patch" application. That's also a good one.*

Heh, those are some good apps, but I have no need for them. Never had any virus problems with W2k, but I do need all the other apps I mentioned in my previous post, which Linux doesn't have (at least not to my liking). Viruses and trojans are what god made antivirals and firewalls for. Problem solved. 30 MB Service packs are what god made subscriptions and broadband for.

The high degree of customization possible with the various window managers is certainly nice, too.

It is nice... however, last time I used KDE and GNOME, the basic user interface requirement of "good mousing" was lacking (among other quirks with the UI). Couldn't get the acceleration and resolution/speed to match my preferences at all. And you have to drop out to the CLI in order to edit some of the settings files by hand because either there is no graphical setting for it, or it's broken.

xmms is more-or-less a 100% clone of WinAmp.

Yeah, that's what I used when I had Linux. But the sound output was crap, no volume control, and there were none of the plug-ins I need with Winamp. Granted the sound/volume problems were probably rooted in a lack of hardware support.

I'd argue that almost no one needs the features of an "advanced office package"

Actually, many businesses use VBA programming in Excel and other apps for much of their report building, analysis, etc. Access is depended upon for many small-scale database driven applications. In 4 out of the 4 companies I've worked at in the last 5 years, we use advanced Excel heavily in the marketing and finance departments -- as in, if somebody wiped out all the VBA code from our spreadsheets, we'd be up a certain creek without a paddle. In my MBA program, everyone I've talked to reports back from their companies with the same intel: if you don't know your Excel kung-fu as a typical Business Analyst, good luck.

Complaining about the lack of VB scripting on Linux is, well, pointless and unnecessary. You have perl. You have tk. You have php and python. You have so many scripting options it's not even funny. Where's the problem?

The problem is that myself and many non-UNIX trained Comp Sci grad type computer users know VB/VBA but not perl, tk, etc. So not only is it a problem for someone personally using the apps they need to use every day, but it is a problem for managers and IT because you can't go around installing apps and scripting languages that their workforce and most job applicants don't know how to use. VB/VBA is the standard in the business MS Office driven business world. It's all about RAD with the skills you have. Nobody has time to learn other stuff. Build on the existing VBA code base and get the damn report done.

"Upsizing databases" is somewhat amusing. What're you doing that your data isn't in a proper database to begin with (with linux, mysql, postgres and oracle are all free and should be able to cover any need you have)? If you're really worried about it, you can do that stuff on a Windows box and use an ODBC connector to your database of choice.

SQL Server licenses and knowledge aren't exactly ubiquitous, ya know. And most companies do not give their non-IT people access to their Oracle databases. IT guys get Oracle and DB2 usually. Rarely something else. mySQL in a corporate environment? Not common. Access is the standard for business professionals. You do your internal record keeping and database development on it, not on SQL Server. And good luck with trying to get IT to install some unsupported non-MS database for you. You'll need a Level 4 manager's authorization on that one.

I think what you're really complaining about is that Linux doesn't have Outlook, IE or VBA.

Yes, that's part of it. But it is a very valid complaint. Show me something that can even touch Outlook/Exchange besides Notes/Domino. It's a killer app. Outlook and Excel are two major reasons why Linux will never grab a significant share of the corporate desktop market. No IE is a non-issue now with recent versions of Opera and Moz being simply fantastic.

And besides, you have to remember that what you're comfortable with wrt to hardware, apps, and scripting is not representative of the norm for a business person. You even stated that caveat right off the top. Linux may fit your needs (and obviously, the needs of your fellow Linux devotees), but for the rest of the (MS trained) computing world, Windows meets our needs far better than Linux does.

Mercutio

There were a lot of people who came out of the same program I did who struggled and fought with the Solaris, Irix and HP-UX machines we used, hard as that is to believe. There were guys who knew PC crap and that was it, or Mac crap only; a lot of comp sci grads from my program couldn't handle hardware, either. There really was constant complaining about the fact that we weren't doing Windows, PCs, or for that matter, that we weren't programming video games (if you graduated with a BSCS you probably know the type).

Windows at the time was a joke (and in some ways it still is). NT 3.5? Windows 3.1? Windows 95?

Or Solaris, which we worked on and which taught me the ins-and-outs of the OS of choice for .com.

It came down to applying myself to learn what was put in front of me. I'm glad I did. So much of what I've done in my life as a professional has come from understanding those systems. Easily the most valuable part of my education.

Now, here's someone saying "Well I only know Windows, and Unix isn't enough like Windows to merit my attention." I say to you sir, that it is, if only so that you understand that 90% of the changes that have been made to Windows since it went 32-bit have migrated from UNIX (or at least Posix) to NT.

You're practically begging me to PM you with all my problems during my next stab at Linux :)

OK. I did something similar when Cliptin was learning Linux.
That's what we're here for, in fact.

Heh, those are some good apps, but... Viruses and trojans are what god made antivirals and firewalls for. Problem solved. 30 MB Service packs are what god made subscriptions and broadband for.

I don't like antivirus software or Windows-based software firewalls (which don't get initialized until Windows is at a logon prompt. I've seen more than a few PCs with "Norton Internet Security" and Welchia). AV software is buggy, a drain on computing resources, and something we really shouldn't HAVE to have.
Broadband? Not everyone has it. Not everyone can get it. Spend a week at 28.8 and tell me that a 50MB update to IE6.1 that you HAVE to have (say, to look at your bank's web site) is anything other than criminal.

It is nice... however, last time I used KDE and GNOME, the basic user interface requirement of "good mousing" was lacking (among other quirks with the UI). Couldn't get the acceleration and resolution/speed to match my preferences at all. And you have to drop out to the CLI in order to edit some of the settings files by hand because either there is no graphical setting for it, or it's broken.

I drop to the CLI all the time in Windows. In fact, I always have one open, just because there's a lot of things that are easier for me to do at a prompt than with a mouse.
Good mousing? Not sure what you mean there. My pattern is to set acceleration and speed as high as they'll go, but in that way I don't notice any difference between X and Windows. X uses a 3-button mouse. I guess if you don't have one that's mildly annoying.
Editing config files? OK. But how often does it come up that you need to spend some quality time in the registry to configure something on a Windows machine? For that matter, "normal" linux users probably won't want or need to configure much of anything in a dotfile anyway, just as most Windows users probably shouldn't be spending much time with most of control panel.

Yeah, that's what I used when I had Linux. But the sound output was crap, no volume control, and there were none of the plug-ins I need with Winamp. Granted the sound/volume problems were probably rooted in a lack of hardware support.

I hesitate to ask what support one needs from WinAmp.... Linux does stereo PCM sound, just like Windows. Some hardware, like the kind that's actually been manufactured in the last five years, works pretty well. Other hardware has cursory support. I never liked Aureal hardware, and I can't comment on how well it works, but SB Lives work as do most onboard sound devices and sound on all of the above is adequate (another big asterix goes here - computer speakers suck, and I tend not to bother with sound devcies on anything I can't hook up to component audio) for CDs and MP3s (which also suck).

Actually, many businesses use VBA programming in Excel and other apps for much of their report building, analysis, etc. Access is depended upon for many small-scale database driven applications. [snip]... if you don't know your Excel kung-fu as a typical Business Analyst, good luck.

So these people could never in their entire lives learn to use something different? I imagine if you poke around a bit you'll find older guys with equivalent knowledge of Lotus 123 or even Visicalc.

You're going for an MBA. Good for you. I won't even make sarcastic comments about it. ;)
But seriously, in how many of those last four companies you worked at did the rank-and-file office-types do anything more complex than set fonts or play with tab settings? How many used the scheduling options in Outlook (several places I've been, rank and file types didn't know they could add their own tasks to the schedule; they thought only their boss could do it)? How many use anything in Powerpoint besides the default templates and transitions?

The problem is that myself and many non-UNIX trained Comp Sci grad type computer users know VB/VBA but not perl, tk, etc. So not only is it a problem for someone personally using the apps they need to use every day, but it is a problem for managers and IT because you can't go around installing apps and scripting languages that their workforce and most job applicants don't know how to use. VB/VBA is the standard in the business MS Office driven business world. It's all about RAD with the skills you have. Nobody has time to learn other stuff. Build on the existing VBA code base and get the damn report done.

I didn't go to college to learn perl et al either. However, I'm an intelligent person, and I invested time in learning it, so that when my professor handed me a project and said "I don't care how you implement this, just do it", I had a better tool for the job than C/C++/Smalltalk/LISP (particularly if the job involved manipulating text).

When I graduated I learned Windows programming on my own.

You can do it, too. As can your MBA-having buddies, if need be. I'm not suggesting that they all switch or anything. But they could if they wanted. Equivalents do exist, and the gains in terms of IT costs might make the changeover worthwhile even for a business. Besides, why are you so worried about what businesses do? Do you use your corporate desktop at home?

So here's the deal with VB(A): It snuck in. Were you doing anything with computers in 1996? Most of IT had *no idea* what the scripting language built into Word 95 could do until "Concept" hit. It was a simple little guy that popped up a textboxand said, basically: "This is a warning of what can be done."
Up to that point, most of the guys wrangling PCs were more about Win95 migrations, DOS/Windows application compatibility and the backup NLM that was abending their Novell server. No one had even looked at applications as a source for virus issues. Wordperfect and Lotus had macros but they were limited to working with the open document; here Microsoft exposed the OS to WordScript. Word was assumed to be the same. It's undeniably powerful but if sane network administrators knew in '96 how much of a pain VBA would one day cause, we'd probably still be using Wordperfect and Lotus.

Shifts in IT do happen from time to time. I know you say it's not possible and not productive, but it does happen. I've seen orgs go from CC Mail to Groupwise to Exchange, and from Exchange to Notes and Notes to OpenMail. From a user perspective those changes are HUGE.

If your whole experience with IT has been "It's Microsoft and it's always been Microsoft", well, you're just wrong. There are a lot of folks in the world who did the same thing you're doing now, who learned with 4GLs + random middleware + (for example) C-Informix. Someday we'll move from Oracle/DB2/MSSQL + ODBC + Crystal Reports or Excel to something else.

(Why do I feel a lot older than I am when I write that?)

SQL Server licenses and knowledge aren't exactly ubiquitous, ya know. And most companies do not give their non-IT people access to their Oracle databases. IT guys get Oracle and DB2 usually. Rarely something else. mySQL in a corporate environment? Not common. Access is the standard for business professionals. You do your internal record keeping and database development on it, not on SQL Server. And good luck with trying to get IT to install some unsupported non-MS database for you. You'll need a Level 4 manager's authorization on that one.

It's probably not worth my time to properly evangelize FoxPro or Interbase, is it? Nevertheless, both are excellent alternatives to the land of file corruption, poor locking and miserable compatibility that is the Jet engine. Nonetheless, there are very good Windows-based databases. Jet just isn't one of them.

Back to the subject at hand: No one ever needs to know. You set up your tables and appropriate logic and you use Windows' builtin connector. You can "upsize" Access to any of the above fairly easily (no "one click and it's done", but maybe four or five commands...), and they're all fairly easy to dump to one another as well. "Upsizing" is very seldom a problem.

The basis for my argument is that there are better database products than access. Your arguments seem to all stem from IT rules that have applied to you in the past. Do they apply now?

Again, what's the concern with what businesses are doing? If you've tried Linux in the past, you did so on your own, not because someone else made you. If all you're worried about is what some central IT department says you should be doing, why even make the effort?

Yes, that's part of it. But it is a very valid complaint. Show me something that can even touch Outlook/Exchange besides Notes/Domino

Samsung Contact I haven't used it since it became Samsung's baby, but when it was OpenMail it was simply the best thing out there. HP didn't market it very well, but it handles all of Outlook's Exchange features and is at least 10 times easier to manage and replicate.

Beyond that, a trip to freshmeat reveals quite a lot of very good webmail and scheduling apps that can be mixed and matched to fit your needs. Unsophisticated users might never know their mail is on a web site, and educated ones can appreciate the ubiquty of a web-based client.

I fully recommend non-Outlook mail clients. Sometimes this is a very easy sell. A office full of folks just hit by "the love bug" with no on-call IT guy? That was the easiest sell I ever had.

. It's a killer app. Outlook and Excel are two major reasons why Linux will never grab a significant share of the corporate desktop market.

Outlook is contestable on several levels. On the Excel side, gnumeric keeps getting better. It isn't like Microsoft's last three upgrades have added anything worthwhile to their product; the freeware guys will be there soon.

And besides, you have to remember that what you're comfortable with wrt to hardware, apps, and scripting is not representative of the norm for a business person.

I'm not a business person. If you were nothing BUT a business person, you wouldn't able to even have this conversation. You're closer to being able to use Linux than you think.

I believe that the applications for Linux that are available NOW will do the job for the vast majority of computer users. I believe the desktop GUIs that are available are more than good enough as well.

You even stated that caveat right off the top. Linux may fit your needs (and obviously, the needs of your fellow Linux devotees), but for the rest of the (MS trained) computing world, Windows meets our needs far better than Linux does.

Hi. I'm Mercutio. I work as an IT trainer and contractor. I've seen the results of training on Microsoft products, and I'm here to tell you that the vast, VAST majority of Windows users wouldn't notice if you switched them from XP back to NT4 or Win95. If you put a menu button in the lower left-hand corner and a shortcut to an Email app and a web browser on the desktop, if there's a "File" menu on the left side of the menu bar and right-click (for the rare users that can use it) brings up a context menu with a "Properties" option, those Microsoft-trained users will be perfectly happy.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
and because the windowing system isn't built into the kernel it's not as responsive as Windows would be.

Why isn't there a Linux kernel that has the windowing system built in? Wouldn't this make Linux a much better alternative to Windows if this was done?

I haven't had the desire to try out Linux since the time when Mandrake 8 came out. I don't feel like spending the time replacing all the applications I use for Windows. Maybe in a few years when it might be easy to install an application in Linux. Or maybe in a couple years there will be another OS out there that is better than any of the alternatives available now. I still wish OS X could be run on x86.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
Why isn't there a Linux kernel that has the windowing system built in? Wouldn't this make Linux a much better alternative to Windows if this was done?
Because integrating the GUI within the kernel has the huge drawback that if the GUI crashes, the whole system crashes. In Linux, if X becomes corrupted, the kernel often remains operative. Since Linux is a very popular server OS, my guess is that the way things are currently is more appropriate for it as it enhances the overall stability of the system.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
I still wish OS X could be run on x86.
If you like OS X, then you're a patient man. Personally, I can't stand waiting for simple menus to scroll when I place the cursor over them and windows being almost reluctantly redrawn every time I want to move them.

OS X is nice looking, but at least up to Jaguar, it's been even less responsive to user moves and commands than X on Linux. I don't know for Panther, but I would be surprised if it would be night and day with the previous versions.

On the responsiveness side, BeOS was a charm. Too bad it died (recent initiaves to build OSes from its ashes didn't thrill me).

Mercutio

OS X is in much the same place right now that NT4 was in up to about 1997. The hardware just hasn't quite caught up with the software yet. It'd help if Apple would do a little more of the Quartz stuff in hardware but I think another GHz or so from Motorola would make all the difference in the world for the OSX experience.

The overwhelming majority of Windows 2000 BSODs I've seen since SP2 was released have been the result of problems with graphics drivers. Even today I'm not convinced that MS made the right choice of moving graphics into the Windows kernel.

Linux development has a couple of issues. One is that there's no way to force somone to work on the less sexy parts of the OS. So a lot of work gets done on the kernel, a lot on improving the Windowing system and the various styles, but very little on, for example ensuring a cohesive graphical style among unrelated apps. These are things that need to be addressed at a distribution level. When I purchase my RedHat license or my copy of SuSE, what I'm paying for, more than support, is the polish of that specific product.

For you guys who are reading this, who aren't Linux users, all I can say is keep an open mind and give it a shot maybe once a year.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
For you guys who are reading this, who aren't Linux users, all I can say is keep an open mind and give it a shot maybe once a year.

That's where I'm at....I tried Slackware 9.1 upon it's release, and it lasted 2 days longer than RH 8.0 (the prevoius attempt that lasted 3 days).

Show me an os with a completely self explanitory and prompted setup, where I can play a 3d accellerated game (with sound) after install without ever touching a text editor...and you'll get my attention.

How would a system identical to that in my sig (I have 2) fare with the proposed OS?

Mercutio

ddrueding said:
Show me an os with a completely self explanitory and prompted setup, where I can play a 3d accellerated game (with sound) after install without ever touching a text editor...and you'll get my attention.

How would a system identical to that in my sig (I have 2) fare with the proposed OS?

You might want to look at some of the things that have been done with knoppix. IIRC they have bootable CDs that start up America's Army and UT2003. No text editing. Auto-detecting all hardware.

For the guy in your sig, I know there's no official support for 3D on R300 chips. I guess if you want to game that's an issue, but ATI has a fully open-source 2d driver for all it cards. Soundstorm is also out. Since your requirement appears to be gaming I think you'll be disappointed.

A great zero fuss config is a vanilla intel or via board with a G400 or Radeon 9000 or (according to some) nvidia-based card, a Cmedia sound chip and an intel nic. I'll bet everyone here jas access to a PC like that.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
Lotsa Featherz and Big Eyez said:
...Provided that you run it on the same hardware, XP is a good deal slower than 2000, just as ME was slower than 98SE and 98SE was slower than Win 95.

I do run Win2K and WinXP on the exact same system. I have dedicated O/S drives in the form of plug-able Barracuda ATA V drives as well as dedicated Cheetah X15.3 drives, each with a load of either Win2K or WinXP Pro. I use one of these boot drives along with a plug-able secondary storage drive (SCSI or ATA), or with no secondary storage drive at all in some cases.

Roole 1: Turn OFF WinXP's System Restore.

Roole 2: Set the bloated WinXP "Luna" user interface to "Classic" and set the folders also to "Classic."

Guess what? WinXP Pro is now equal to -- or even slightly faster -- than Windows 2000 Workstation. WinXP certainly boots significantly faster, due to the WinXP boot-time parallel driver loading capability.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Merc,

Yes, I know the type of CS grad to which you refer, although I am not a CS grad myself. (I re-read my previous post; it seems like I said I was a Windows-trained CS grad. What I meant was that I was never had any formal UNIX or CS training) A surprising amount of people I know went into Comp Sci and Comp Eng with visions of dollar signs and working for Electronic Arts or id Software dancing in their heads.

90% of the changes that have been made to Windows since it went 32-bit have migrated from UNIX (or at least Posix) to NT.

Yes, many of NT's characteristics were derived from the UNIX/VMS world; Cutler and company drew lots from their VMS days at Digital... that I know... but W2k took a lot of that stuff, refined it, and made it accessible to the masses. They may have erred on the side of user-centricity convenience and friendliness (as opposed to admin-centric security, for example), but that's what W2k users like me love about it.

"Well I only know Windows, and Unix isn't enough like Windows to merit my attention."

That is mostly true, but it's not that I dismissed Unix out of hand and without thought and analysis based on my career aspirations and desire for self-fulfillment. It's like this: Windows and its apps do the job perfectly for me. They meet my needs far better than Linux and its apps. When you have the right tool for the job, why should you switch?

Could it be that I don't know the NIX world well enough to find all the apps that meet my needs and whip the darn software into compliance? Yes. But my perspective is that I will use the tools that are (1) readily available to me; (2) easy to use; and (3) does everything I want it to do. I want my tools to fit my needs -- not the other way around. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get things done.

I admit that I will never get ahead in the world of IT without putting in the time to work with OSes and apps that are not what I'm already comfortable with, but I do not have aspirations for a career in the technical side of IT. I am a business person who happens to be interested in some aspects of IT and will use bits and pieces to get ahead in the world of business as required (Excel/VBA, Access/SQL). Learning a new OS/app/language often gets relegated to the bottom of my To Do list.

As for antivirals and lengthy patch downloads, yes, they are far from ideal, but they represent a minor incovenience to me and most of the people i know. Everyone I know has broadband these days (all uni's and corporations have it; something like 60% of urban Canada has it), and if one doesn't have broadband or can't be bothered to download overnight, one can get the CD's from Microsoft or from one of many friends/coworkers who do have broadband.

Good mousing? Not sure what you mean there.

I was frustrated with how different the acceleration threshold and "boost" settings were from Windows. I either kept overshooting every icon or I would be doing the 5-mile wrist workouts from inadequate acceleration.

I hesitate to ask what support one needs from WinAmp [...] computer speakers suck, and I tend not to bother with sound devcies on anything I can't hook up to component audio) for CDs and MP3s (which also suck).

I personally need for a parametric equalizer to flatten the freq response of crappy computer speakers. Without it, I might as well stop listening to music on my PC altogether. Not every sound card driver comes with an EQ, and if they do, they are rarely advanced enough for my needs (parametric EQ is very rare). I like listening to music in front of my PC; the stereo rarely gets used because I don't like sitting on the couch anymore just listening to music without anything else to do. With the PEQ, I can get the sound to be good enough (esp with headphones) that the quality no longer bothers me.

So these people could never in their entire lives learn to use something different?

Some people have families and kids to take care of, with others it's golf and hockey, still others learn languages or take night classes, and some just like to go out with friends. Myself, I don't have a family or kids yet, but I do everything else. And when I'm not doing those things, I'm busy reading and writing to posts on discussion boards like SF. So for non-IT people, learning UNIX is rather low on the To Do List.

You're going for an MBA. Good for you. I won't even make sarcastic comments about it. ;)

Actually, I just finished my MBA a few weeks ago. ... And hey, we get enough crap these days. I feel like a lawyer. (Damn FedEx commercials; they give us a bad name)

... did the rank-and-file office-types do anything more complex than set fonts or play with tab settings [...] scheduling options in Outlook [...] Powerpoint besides the default templates and transitions?

Honestly, a surprising amount of the BA's (Business Analysts) are pretty good with Excel and Outlook, especially the 20-somethings. In fact, at the place where I now work, the person who hired me said that "we don't hire anyone for any BA positions or higher without MBA's and computer skills now unless they have a strong track record in the industry." They are slowly transitioning to a more educated and computer savvy workforce. As for PowerPoint, most of us don't care for annoying transition/animation effects.

Shifts in IT do happen from time to time. I know you say it's not possible and not productive, but it does happen. [...] the gains in terms of IT costs might make the changeover worthwhile even for a business.

Of course it happens. But there has to be a compelling business case for it. The ROI has to be there. User impact analysis has to be done. Studies. Hard data. Change is frowned upon unless the pain is damn well worth the benefits. ... And who is going to lay their neck on the line when you can just point to the various Gold Standards and say "no one ever got fired for buying IBM/Cisco/Dell/Microsoft". If you buy Linux or clones and you fall short of your ROI targets, let alone have some system failure the fear is you could be carrying a box with your personal items down the hall accompanied by a security guard.

If your whole experience with IT has been "It's Microsoft and it's always been Microsoft", well, you're just wrong.

Hey, I'm not that closed minded. I will accept viable competing solutions should they appear. But Linux on the desktop -- from what I've seen -- is not one of them yet, and I just don't see that changing in the near future. You may feel differently from a technical perspective, but from a practicality and feasibility standpoint, IMO it is just not for prime time... or we are not ready for it. (but does it really matter?)

It's probably not worth my time to properly evangelize FoxPro or Interbase, is it? Nevertheless, both are excellent alternatives to the land of file corruption, poor locking and miserable compatibility that is the Jet engine...

And Beta was technically superior to VHS...

The basis for my argument is that there are better database products than access. Your arguments seem to all stem from IT rules that have applied to you in the past. Do they apply now?

Yes. Look, I'm an analyst at a big bank. Unless you're a certain level of developer, you use what you are given. It was like that when I worked for HP as well. You want to use something else? You'd better write a business case for it and have it approved by a Level 4 or 5 manager and hope they take you seriously enough to (1) be willing to pay for what it is that you want, and (2) get IT to install whatever it is you want. When I was at HP, we didn't even have enough money to fix our own workgroup laser let alone pay for a full copy of Acrobat.

Again, what's the concern with what businesses are doing? If you've tried Linux in the past, you did so on your own, not because someone else made you. If all you're worried about is what some central IT department says you should be doing, why even make the effort?

It's like this: I want to learn for personal growth, but because it's not something that will help my career due to the nature of Microsoft's dominance on the corporate desktop and the prevailing IT policies in the business world, there really isn't a compelling argument for me to be running Linux as my desktop OS, is there?

Beyond that, a trip to freshmeat reveals quite a lot of very good webmail and scheduling apps that can be mixed and matched to fit your needs.

Ah, but none of them meet my needs -- especially an integrated client that can sync with my PDA.

Unsophisticated users might never know their mail is on a web site, and educated ones can appreciate the ubiquty of a web-based client.

I have come to appreciate the ubiquity of my webmail service as my desktop has been down for a couple months and I have been without Outlook. But with Outlook, I use VNC to check my e-mail/schedule remotely. I really do prefer an integrated mail and scheduling client that can sync with my PDA, and I still use webmail when I'm on the road.

I'm not a business person. If you were nothing BUT a business person, you wouldn't able to even have this conversation. You're closer to being able to use Linux than you think.

I know you're not a business person, Merc, but I have been trying to roll some business perspective into my arguments to show you where I'm coming from (and what a lot of the business world is thinking)... just like you are bringing your perspective from smaller corporations and the UNIX/Comp Sci techie world.

I believe that the applications for Linux that are available NOW will do the job for the vast majority of computer users. I believe the desktop GUIs that are available are more than good enough as well.

It is because of statments like these from people I respect that keep me dabbling in Linux... I will try another distro later this year.

Hi. I'm Mercutio. I work as an IT trainer and contractor. I've seen the results of training on Microsoft products, and I'm here to tell you that the vast, VAST majority of Windows users wouldn't notice if you switched them from XP back to NT4 or Win95.

I would have to agree. From an admin-centric perspective, Linux makes a lot of sense sometimes. But from a (power) user-centric perspective, some of us like to use our own custom W2k tweaked desktops with the apps that can do everything we want without any muss or fuss.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Santilli said:
Anybody used Red Hat 9 on old hardware?
If an Athlon 500MHz meets your "old" criteria, then yes I did, last spring. Wasn't unbearably slow. Things were less snappy in Gnome/KDE than in Win2K on the same machine, but that was to be expected. Overall, the system was usable and I only flushed it because I inevitably screwed up somewhere when I tried to install something or update something else.

Linux is great if you leave the original installation "as-is". Once you start updating softwares, bloody dependancies kill you.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i used it on the duron here... um.. was that 650 or 750MHz? oh well...

That's a 3GB Seagate medalist OS drive and 320MB RAM.

It ran OK... waiting for stuff to come out of being paged to disk was slow, but after that had stopped the system was pretty usable. I'd say that windows was snappier, but then my installation of windows wasn't running an Apache, SMB, FTP, SMTP, and halflife services.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Santilli said:
Anybody used Red Hat 9 on old hardware?

gs

I used it on a Dual PIII 933EB system with a VIA chipset. Older Asus GeForce MX video (V7700 or something like that) card and a couple of ATA drives, and the thing ran pretty good. It becamse useless when I added a Promise SX6000 RAID card. No good support for the card in Linux. As I mentioned in another thread, the RedHat/Gnome GUI for Samba shares is nice; much better then RedHat 8.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That was one of my main problems. I wanted to network the machine, and even after getting a book, on Samba, I just didn't have time to figure it out.

Guess I'll stay with Win 2k on that machine, until I build another box...

GS

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I am pleased to report that Knoppix 3.3 is working surprisingly well on the first try on this desktop: Gigabyte 7n400 Pro 2 nForce 2 board, Matrox G450. Even watching TV on the desktop as I type this into Moz 1.5.

There are a few glitches/annoyances, to be sure, but the fact that it works is a pleasant surprise. Some of the annoyances were (1): the nVidia networking solution wasn't detected on the first desktop I tried it on; (2) basic copy/paste and select all didn't work between two browser tabs in Moz 1.5; (3) right-clicking became corrupted until I shut down Moz and restarted it; (4) desktop flickers when the xawtv window is expanded beyond a small size; (5) font sizes all messed-up on SR and SF. Probably more to come, but at least nothing has crashed on me yet. So far so good!