dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm thinking about the 7D now instead of the 1D MK IV. Assumption is that the 1Ds MK IV will be here later this year. Hmm.

LunarMist

There are migratory birds that are nesting in some trees about 500 feet away (that's a bad guess). I tried my 70-200mm, but it's reach is still too short. Longer full-frame Nikkors seem too expensive for now. I certainly would like to get one eventually to shoot wildlife, etc.

The new Sigmas are just reaching the stores. I don't know yet if they are any good.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
The new Sigmas are just reaching the stores. I don't know yet if they are any good.

Migratory birds in flight r purdy...better still in motion & sound. Sell the still camera and get a higher-end consumer camcorder...plenty of reach with that....unless u get the new sony HDR-CX550V, - Google Search w/only 28-280mm equiv. lens. 28mm is good for indoors, I don't need much reach.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm thinking about the 7D now instead of the 1D MK IV. Assumption is that the 1Ds MK IV will be here later this year. Hmm.

by that logic, might as well get the 550d instead. Fairly large diff btw 7d & Mk IV. MkIV & sMkIV are complimentary products in Canon's line, 7d is just a higher end XXD series...if u got the coin, get the MkIV & sMkIV...& make sure U have enough leftover to buy all the new improved models of older lenses....<where the real $$$$ come into play

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sigh ..... the 7D is a very, very different camera. Saying it's "just a higher end xxD series" simply shows that you haven't got a clue. Oh, and yes, I'm speaking from knowledge, not from some thing I read in a magazine. I own a 7D, and also own various xxD series cameras to compare it with, including 40Ds and a 50D. Very, very different, the 7D is, and vastly improved. It has the same dinky little body as a 50D (almost the same, very minor differences only) but it performs more like a 1 Series pro body. The viewfinder and the autofocus system are both significantly superior to anything outside the 1 Series range.

Handruin

Administrator
The Canon 5D MKII firmware 2.0.3 update is announced. The camera finally has the 24FPS mode people have been wanting for a long time. You can head on over here to download it.

brings 29.97 FPS and 24 FPS (23.976, to be precise) 1080p recording at last. Even the VGA mode has been swapped to a 29.97 actual rate, and PAL mode has a flat 25 FPS and 23.976 FPS as well. Additional tweaks include a manual volume adjustment (as opposed to the automatic gain the cameras usually employ), a brightness or RGB histogram display (this function, like some of these other features, has been available for a while as a hack), shutter and aperture priority modes have been added for movie shooting, and the audio sampling ramp has been bumped from 44.1KHz to 48KHz.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hoolie doolie! That will be the first time ever. Never, ever before has Canon added new abilities or features in a firmware update. That is a major change in direction for them. (OK, it's all moviwe mode stuff, about which I care not in the slightest - I haven't even bothered finding out how to turn my 7D's movie mode on - but it's a very significant change in Canon policy.

Handruin

Administrator
The movie mode is something that interests me with the 5D MKII more than it being a camera. This may be a new feature, but it has been requested for a long time, so Canon certainly wasn't swift with implementing it. Now that I know 24 FPS is a reality and not rumor, I'll likely buy this camera.

LunarMist

I have no use for video or firmware updates. I need to ditch the 50D, 30D, 5D II, 1Ds MK II, and some DRebel, and then get a 7D.

Handruin

Administrator
To each their own I guess. I'm assuming you use some or all of your gear for income and I use mine for learning and fun.

You still gain to benefit from at least one fix:

Code:
Fixes a phenomenon where communication between the camera and the  
      attached lens is sometimes interrupted after manual sensor cleaning.
      (This phenomenon only affects units with Firmware Version 1.2.4.)

LunarMist

It is just a hobby for me nowadays. ;) The 5D II was only used for testing about a year ago and I never really liked it. In basic experiments it became obvious that AF tracking accuracy and the tiny diamond area would be unacceptable for following and composing the cheetahs or even lions, so I did not try. Last year I used a 1Ds MK II as a third body behind a pair of 1Ds MK IIIs, and a 50D for reach. I'll probably replace the 50D with a 7D. I think the four bodies are enough until there is a 1Ds MK IV.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I could be interested in the Rebel or something else Canon based that might be left over from the game of musical cameras.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm curious to hear some photography spending breakdowns of others here. What percentage of your photo spending goes towards the following:

Bodies
Lenses
Support Equipment (Tripods, Flashes, Filters)
Photo Trips (money spent going somewhere to take pictures)
Education (Classes, books, whatever)

ddrueding

Fixture
Bodies - 25%
Lenses - 60%
Support Equipment (Tripods, Flashes, Filters) - 10%
Photo Trips (money spent going somewhere to take pictures) - 5%
Education (Classes, books, whatever) - 0%

LunarMist

I really don't know. You can check that photo attachment for just the current Canon gear and add a lens or two. I have other cameras, lenses, flashes, tripods, etc. older than you are. ;)

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Probably get clobbered for being OT by the PC police...but :D (when has that ever stopped me :p ):

http://photorumors.com/2010/03/24/latest-sensor-developments/

“No, you will not be able to shoot a wedding on a cell phone” – this is a good description for the latest sensor announcement by the ThePhoblographer.com: InVisage Technologies created a sensor using quantum dots instead of silicon for phone cameras. According to the company, this would increase the sensor performance more than four times.

Read more on this topic @ Wired and ImageSensorsWorld. Full press release after the break.
Just a month ago Dalsa announced a 196MP sensor which will be used in “UltraCam line of aerial photogrammetry cameras produced by Vexcel Imaging GmbH, a subsidiary of Microsoft. The new UltraCamXp and UltraCamXp Wide Angle use multiple Dalsa CCD image sensors to provide breathtakingly detailed imagery that feeds applications such as Microsoft Bing Maps” (source). 196MP not enough for you? Then check out this 570MP intergalactic camera.
Also a month ago, Samsung announced a 3MP CMOS sensor for camera phones, capable of recording 720p video (source). At the same time NEC announced an image processor for cameras phones that can handle Full HD (1080p) videos and 13MP photos (source).
How about that one: OmniVision has announced a new RAW-capable CMOS sensor for cellphones (source).

I'm holding out until I can shoot a wedding in RAW 4k HD res, 30x optical zoom, no thicker than a iPhone, on a cam phone :). I want 10x the DR 1st, however.

Sol

Storage is cool
Handruin said:
Circular reference?
recursion...

My spending on photography gear breaks down to roughly:

Bodies: 20%
Lenses: 60%
Support: 20%

But the support is a bit out of whack because I just bought a Z1 ball head, L-bracket and lens collar. (Predictably the Z1 arrived today just in time for the weekend, but I won't be able to mount anything on it until at least the middle of next week because the quick release on my old head is not removable...)

LunarMist

They should have enlisted Dr. K to put some 1D MK IIIs to sleep. :idea: