dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The big photo printer I use costs quite a bit in supplies.

I almost chose a roll paper printer a few years ago, but decided it was not for me. Besides the obvious cost and size issues:

1. Most large printers don't print on small cut sheets so a second printer is needed, preferably with the same inkset.

2. Choices in paper are rather limited; many of the fine art papers and thicker materials are not available. Paper curl creates certain difficulties.

3. Although ink costs are better for high volume printing, low volume/infrequent use results in losses to extra cleaning cycles, expired inks, etc.

4. Service and repair is typically done on site because such printers are marketed for business use. That would be impractical in my current situation.

LunarMist

http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/canon_super_tele

Expensive rentals, but they do have all of the Nikon & Canon perspective control lenses, incl 17mm TS-E

I think it is simply time to get the 17 TS-E. The front element is scary though. :bsmurf:

darn, CP filters don't help much with metal surfaces :( (why isn't the reflected light polarized off of metal?)

http://www.schneider-kreuznach.de/tipps/polfilter_e.htm

Did you not study physics sufficiently in school?

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting, almost exciting. I can handle the lack of flash and viewfinder, but the controls sound like a nightmare. I wouldn't mind the smaller size one bit, and the PnS features (twilight mode, auto panos, auto HDR) could be great depending on how they are implemented.

Then of course there is the lens selection issue...

LunarMist

I dislike EVIL cameras on principle. Once a camera becomes larger than an S90 or so it is not very pocketable. I'd rather use a small DSLR. Howefver, that one with the 16mm might fit in a large pocket. Of course there is niche market for street shooters, where the small size and low cost are important. If the camera is broken or stolen it is no big deal.

I'd like to see a small ~24/2 companion to the 16/2.8. The 18-55 and especially the 18-200 are too large and slow to be effective. Who wants to hold a camera and compose with a 300mm effective lens at arms length? Crazy.

:cat:

Handruin

Administrator
I must be seeing something else. They look way overprocessed/artsy fartsy. Pages are very slow, too. :beye:

I saw what ddrueding saw. I thought the pictures looked really nice. I didn't care for the website layout, but the images were well done.

ddrueding

Fixture
What turned me on to her wasn't any of the images from the site, but from the Audi magazine I get. Something about using every pixel to the fullest, tack sharp and full contrast throughout. People staring intently past a camera don't interest me, but I would love to have those characteristics in my photos. I suspect that a medium-fomat camera is required.

An industry-focused interview with her.

LunarMist

That is just asking for damage...

According to Roger, the front element is $450.

I'm wondering whether to just rent the lens. The problem is that I will only use it for two weeks per year, maybe three in some years. I could rent one ten times for the cost of buying, and that includes the insurance.

LunarMist

What turned me on to her wasn't any of the images from the site, but from the Audi magazine I get. Something about using every pixel to the fullest, tack sharp and full contrast throughout. People staring intently past a camera don't interest me, but I would love to have those characteristics in my photos. I suspect that a medium-fomat camera is required.

An industry-focused interview with her.

Medium format is good for low DOF, but IQ of modern DSLRs like the D3X is very good. Autos are often shot in studios with MF however.:hurl:

LunarMist

There are no failures, though I may redo a few later. Paper is $3-5 per sheet and each 80mL ink is $50 or so. They are supposed to be more economical than the inks in smaller printers, but almost everything from the project is printed larger than was typical a few years ago. :cheese:

I'd not trust the alternatives. Prices sure are less, even ignoring the actual vs. MAP for OEM.:porc:

LunarMist

Well I don't know what it is properly named nowadays. At one time the advertised price was known as MSRP, but I thought it was rejected. Then MAP became illegal in some areas. The point is that the street prices are obviously less that those used in the tables.

LunarMist

I receive an error message when trying to add 12 to the cart, yet no limit is shown. Does Newegg have secret limits?

LunarMist

Nothing. I took a few shots in the workroom only. 17 is useful for 48x36mm V-3 shift stitch to gain a wider view that any other EOS lenses and of course the >40MP. It is OK using a 60 mm circle out of 67.2, but full ±12 mm horizontal shift is not so great. It's better to crop some of the 36mm height (usually from the bottom) to allow for some PC. 24 TSE II is more versatile.
:tounge:

LunarMist

It is not real. Speculation is that the 1Ds IV will be even more costly than the previous 1Dsx bodies at introduction. :flower:

ddrueding

Fixture
It is not real. Speculation is that the 1Ds IV will be even more costly than the previous 1Dsx bodies at introduction. :flower:

It makes sense that the price chasm between dSLR and medium format is spanned just as the image quality/resolution gap is being cut down. Just a shame that we don't get cheaper MF cameras instead.

LunarMist

Medium format is primarily for a different purpose. It is usually not a replacement for 35mm format.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Wow. They're outright arresting private citizens for photographing police abuses, charging them with a crime, and successfully convicting them.

That's fucked if you'll excuse my language.

LunarMist

It's one reason that I mainly photograph outside of the US. I only open the camera bag in the US in an area where photography is accepted, such as national/state parks or BLM land, and never aim a lens at humans. Always give over the memory cards when asked.