dSLR thread

Handruin

Administrator
Running only 20MP from a FF sensor is one way to get good low-light performance. It also lets you get high FPS numbers. I'm most impressed by the 4k@60FPS video mode; last I checked that was a RED thing (or GoPro, but you know what I mean).

I came here to say exactly this. I'm impressed with what is offered for the 4K video and if the price holds true at $6K I'm rather impressed on paper. Real world may prove otherwise.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I came here to say exactly this. I'm impressed with what is offered for the 4K video and if the price holds true at $6K I'm rather impressed on paper. Real world may prove otherwise.

It's compromised for video. Most users are not filmmakers or documentarians.
If Canon had just given us 24MP at 12 FPS that would have been fine. 20MP is so limited for any cropping. :(

LunarMist

What is the minimum resolution you like to see in your finished images?

I prefer 17 for nicely cropped wildlife at a fairly clean ISO, 30 for wider scenes with multiple subjects, and 40 for landscapes.
It can be challenging to nicely compose images of moving subjects with long lenses and continuous AF.
Sometimes a surrogate AF point is possible, but other times a looser framing is necessary to maintain an AF point on the head.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Official Canon press release here.

Youtube video here.

Lunar check the above video at 6:24. The new batteries are backward/forward compatible with the old 1Dx battery.

Only two limitations are if you use the "old" battery in the "new" camera the FPS drops from 14 to 12 fps. And two, to fully charge the "new" batteries you need to use the "new" charger.

24 of more MP would have been great but Canon and Nikon will slooooooooooooooowly dribble out features every two years to keep people buying/upgrading.

Features that stand out for me:

- f/8 support on ALL AF points.
- Build in GPS.
- DPAF. Dual Pixel Autofocus.
- 4k60p video.

The Nikon D500 shoots up to 29m59s @ 4k30p but does it in 10, 3-minute, chunks. It will be interesting to see if the 1Dxii does the same thing. Also I think Nikon will now have to fix the D5 to shoot more than 3m of 4K video. They better firmware upgrade the D5 before it ships.

Now the only two "important" unknown variables left between the 1Dxii and D5 are: 1) the high ISO performance; and 2) how well the new AF systems actually work.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
I'm interested to see the quality of their 4K video once people get their hands on these. I find it interesting they chose the cinematic 4K (4096 x 2160) over the consumer version and they support up to 60FPs are that size. Maybe in a year or two I can find one cheaper to play around with on the used market.

Stereodude

Not really a
I find it interesting they chose the cinematic 4K (4096 x 2160) over the consumer version and they support up to 60FPs are that size.
It seems pretty obvious to me.

1) It's not a consumer camera with that price tag.
2) It's easy to turn 4096x2160 video into 3840x2160 via cropping. It's not so easy to turn 3840x2160 video into 4096x2160 video.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
D500 now delayed until the end or April.

Perhaps Nikon in pre-recalling the camera before launch to fix the oil leak, or light leak, or AF issue, firmware bug or ???

They should be delaying the D5 to increase the 4k video specs. UHD @ 30p (for only 3 mins?!?) vs Real 4k @ 60p for 30mins on the 1DX2.

LunarMist

D500 now delayed until the end or April.

Perhaps Nikon in pre-recalling the camera before launch to fix the oil leak, or light leak, or AF issue, firmware bug or ???

They should be delaying the D5 to increase the 4k video specs. UHD @ 30p (for only 3 mins?!?) vs Real 4k @ 60p for 30mins on the 1DX2.

It looks like I will have to buy a D7200 at the end of February. There are various possible reasons for the D500 delay and the early production cameras may be problematic anyway.

The pro Nikon D and Canon 1D series are not primarily designed for video. They have video because the additional functionality does not add much to the production cost and the sales delta increases the total volume enough to be viable.

LunarMist

You can't rent a D7200 now and buy a D500 later in the year? I would think the D500 would have more long term value for you.

There is no later this year after April-May, at least for anything that would benefit from the D500 compared to the D7200 or even the D7100.
I'm estimating 10-15% chance for June 2017 and 25% for December 2017. We'll see how the tests turn out in April.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
There is no later this year after April-May, at least for anything that would benefit from the D500 compared to the D7200 or even the D7100.
I'm estimating 10-15% chance for June 2017 and 25% for December 2017. We'll see how the tests turn out in April.

Tests? Am I the only one who doesn't know what you are referring to?

Are you going on a vacation and/or assignment in April/May where you'd see benefit from the D500 but not later in the year? With low percentages next year?

You need to write an autobiography. From the tiny bits and pieces I can pick up, it seems you'd have some interesting stories to tell.

LunarMist

Tests? Am I the only one who doesn't know what you are referring to?

Are you going on a vacation and/or assignment in April/May where you'd see benefit from the D500 but not later in the year? With low percentages next year?

You need to write an autobiography. From the tiny bits and pieces I can pick up, it seems you'd have some interesting stories to tell.

Early April is for the MRIs, etc. then wildlife later in the month. That completes MP05B, which has the highest concentration of major photo locations for me since 2006.
Realistically there is not much density in the remainder of the decade and only a few low-probability uses in 2017. Most likely I would be using some other cameras than the D500 by then.

LunarMist

The 80D will be out in time. I'm not sure if the sensor has any useful improvements.

LunarMist

Or, maybe you had an encounter with some ghosts.

It was very strange in that 2-3 images captured a few seconds apart would merge (with some artifacts) into one RAW file. It was not caused by a defective memory card or even one brand of card.
Initially the phenomenon was only occasional, then it increased to unacceptable frequency. According to Nikon the sensor was bad, but that made little sense.
In any event, the camera was already over 4 years old and not worth repairing.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It was very strange in that 2-3 images captured a few seconds apart would merge (with some artifacts) into one RAW file. It was not caused by a defective memory card or even one brand of card.
Initially the phenomenon was only occasional, then it increased to unacceptable frequency. According to Nikon the sensor was bad, but that made little sense.
In any event, the camera was already over 4 years old and not worth repairing.

It's this the description of a multi-thousand dollar disposable camera?

LunarMist

It's this the description of a multi-thousand dollar disposable camera?

Nor really. The MSRP was $999 and I probably paid that given that it was rather new at the time. The Canon 30D was $1200 by way of reference, though it was a bit higher grade body.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
but I also bought a D80 back in 2006. It developed some funky electronics failure that resulted in multiple ghosted RAW images.

It was very strange in that 2-3 images captured a few seconds apart would merge (with some artifacts) into one RAW file.

That actually sounds interesting.

Did the merged images result in some kind of "multiple exposure" like frame or was the frame just totally black/distorted/UN-reconizable?

Take a whole bunch of "street" photos and see what happens.

LunarMist

Except that the exposure did not appear like that and also CCD readouts are done differently.
Anyway it's been a 2nd backup for a while, but now with the D7200 it will be struck from the list.

LunarMist

That's when they were small. I'd like to see a graph of their drive buying numbers per year. I'm sure they could get drives direct now.

I wish there were more dada to make clear conclusions about the failure patterns. Presumably they have more granular info.

LunarMist

Something has gone wacko. :( This is the DSLR thread. How does that happen?

LunarMist

I'd give you a "like" if we had that feature. :)

Meanwhile the D7200 is pretty good so far.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Meanwhile the D7200 is pretty good so far.

Good to know the D7200 is working out.

Too bad the D500 is delayed till late April.

I'm going on my annual week+ long vacation in April with my friend from Cali and will have to rent a DSLR body+lens for the trip as two people sharing one camera is kind of a drag. Haven't decided on what to rent yet. D750 = lower cost + "near identical" controls as the D610 (aka I know how you use it already) or maybe a D810 or ??

Maybe go hog wild and rent a 14-24mm + D810 but that might be cost prohibitive for the 9-12 day rental. Maybe D750 + (16-35mm or 20mm or 24mm prime).

Hmmmmmmm.