dSLR thread

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Some PJs reg. this hobby. These were inflicted on me, and I'm passing on the favor:

I read fifty shades of grey to learn more about white balance

Q. What’s the best way to make money in photography? A. Sell all your gear.

Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
A memory card crapped out while i was on a cliff with those albatross. The camera slowed down around frame 507 and then error 02. I was only able to DL 340 files. Not sure if the others can be recovered or if they did not save.

LunarMist

It's too slow with the Canon bodies. What do people use for attempting file recovery these days? The mfg. Software is usually mediocre.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
A memory card crapped out while i was on a cliff with those albatross. The camera slowed down around frame 507 and then error 02. I was only able to DL 340 files. Not sure if the others can be recovered or if they did not save.

Where you hanging off a cliff on a rope? If so, a memory card failure would be a bit down the list of terrible things that could go happen.

CF card in a 1DX? SD in a 5DSr?

Sorry to hear that Lunar. Personal mental note, when on a cliff with Albatross, use redundant cards.

Yeah, this if possible. With my Nikon I'd be shooting RAW+JPG and mirror that to BOTH SD cards.

It's too slow with the Canon bodies. What do people use for attempting file recovery these days? The mfg. Software is usually mediocre.

Sucks the speed wasn't there for a "mirror" option while shooting.

LunarMist

Even the 1DX, D4 etc. Have lower buffer throughput witg two cards. Raw and jpeg are worse on any camera. 5DsR is on the slow side due to the 65-70 MB files. Im I'm almost out of memory cards.

LunarMist

Trying to get medical helf now without a charter flight 800 miles.
Internet is expensive and by the minute. It's a racket.

I have 256GB left for two days if Im not in hospital.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I hope to Nikon D5 and its "high-ISO" performance and "advanced" AF system are more than a "slight" improvement or else Nikon will be shipping there version of Canons 1Dx that shipped years ago. This would be bad for Nikon and bad for Canon as they'd feel no need to improve the 1Dx much. Plus the reported price of the 1Dxii is $500 cheaper than the D5. Of course that Canon pre-release price might just be floated out there to take away a bit of Nikons thunder with their release of the D5.

I think the crop D500 will be successful as it more than matches the 7Dii. Of course if Canon actually releases the 200-600mm f/5.6 zoom and it's not crazy priced.....sigh.....

If the Canon 6D matched up better with the Nikon D610 last year I'd probably be in the Canon camp as their lens lineup is a bit stronger.

LunarMist

It would be great if the new Nikon bodies have 1/2 or 1 stop better noise than their predecessors. The jpeg settings of 1.5 or 3 million ISO are a bit ridiculous.

ddrueding

Fixture
He starts off by saying no raw files. Really?

I'll second this. I thought the no-brainer S.O.P. was shoot in RAW and make as many of your adjustments (especially exposure/balance/channel stuff) before discarding that data by converting to something else (even TIFF or Photoshop, much less JPG).

Am I missing something?

LunarMist

Wildlife is almost entirely RAW, though many photographers use jpegs for reportage and volume commercial work. Reuters or others only accepts jpegs for example.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
He starts off by saying no raw files. Really?

Ole J Liodden writes, "None of the NEF-files has been inspected or edited in RAW-file software (like Lightroom), so this test report is based on viewing and editing JPG-files with highest quality settings. All exposures were done in NEF + jpg format.

UPDATE: Most of the images are not straight from the camera, but I have done some small adjustments to the jpg-files in Lightroom including: tone curve, vibrance (max +20), shadows, highlights and sometimes WB. I have not done any noise reduction, layers in Photoshop etc."

~~~~~

So he shot RAW+JPG. But all his image evaluations, for the article, were based on modified JPG files with no noise reduction.

Perhaps he was trying to show how good even JPG images are at high ISO. Edited RAW files should produce even better results.

LunarMist

I don't know the Ole but he's not an independent engineer.
My point is that we need to see the RAW files to make a proper determination.
Sensors are already over 50% efficient so there is only a finite amount of improvement possible.

LunarMist

Is there any quick way to process the 50MP raw files without using Adobe? If I'm doing the math right there would be about 8TB of 16bit TIFF files.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
^^ Good video. Seen it before. Thanks for linking it.

That is the video I link to when trying to explain how a 1/8000 sec exposure takes 1/250'ish of a second to complete. The individual pixels are exposed for only 1/8000 sec but it takes 1/250'ish (or faster depending on the cameras fastest flash sync speed) of a second to expose ALL the pixels.

Makes me realize I need to read up on exactly how mirror-less cameras expose their pixels. I believe it's one row at a time, but don't know if the length of time to expose ALL the pixels is the same or is faster depending on shutter speed.

Perhaps in the future we will have "true" 1/8000 sec, or faster, shutter speeds.

Interesting stuff.

LunarMist

It appears that 92 images are missing, based on the file numbering. I was able to recover 14 hidden files.
Is there a smart test or something like that for CF cards? The basic tests don't find anything wrong with it.

Last edited:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I just discovered that if my ISO is above 6400 (the D610 max "normal" ISO) and goes into "Hi 0.3," "Hi 0.7," "Hi 1," or "Hi 2" no ISO info is recorded in the JPGs EXIF data.

I got some OK shots at "high" ISO handheld at 1/40 sec @ 500mm. The VR/IS on my 200-500mm f/5.6E is working well.

I'm almost never using the 200-499mm portion of the lens. Makes me wish for a big tele prime @ f/5.6 (to keep cost down) that can focus under 8 feet like my zoom.

Will post some pics in a bit.

LunarMist

I just discovered that if my ISO is above 6400 (the D610 max "normal" ISO) and goes into "Hi 0.3," "Hi 0.7," "Hi 1," or "Hi 2" no ISO info is recorded in the JPGs EXIF data.

I got some OK shots at "high" ISO handheld at 1/40 sec @ 500mm. The VR/IS on my 200-500mm f/5.6E is working well.

I'm almost never using the 200-499mm portion of the lens. Makes me wish for a big tele prime @ f/5.6 (to keep cost down) that can focus under 8 feet like my zoom.

Will post some pics in a bit.

If the high ISO are not real, then they are not doing anything useful other than for jpegs. Maybe you need better light. Do you have the 70-200/4 VR for closer and larger subjects?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
If the high ISO are not real, then they are not doing anything useful other than for jpegs. Maybe you need better light. Do you have the 70-200/4 VR for closer and larger subjects?

I just thought it curious that no ISO data was written into the JPGs EXIF data if values above 6400 were used. Is that field numeric only? My viewfinder was showing me, "H 0.3," "H 0.7." "H 1.0," "H 1.3," "H 1.7," and "H 2.0" when the ISO was above 6400 and it would have been nice if my D610 recorded that data in the EXIF for the shots. No biggie I guess as I don't want to be shooting at such a high ISO anyways.

As for the poor light, it was almost 6pm and the sun was already down. I know I need to shoot on a bright sunny day for action/wildlife shots, especially with a f/5.6 lens.

Don't own the 70-200/4 VR, but in the future if I need that focal range I'd probably spend the $$$ and get the 2.8 version anyways. Perhaps by then a new version without focus breathing will be available.

I'll post some pics in the picture posting thread.

LunarMist

I just thought it curious that no ISO data was written into the JPGs EXIF data if values above 6400 were used. Is that field numeric only? My viewfinder was showing me, "H 0.3," "H 0.7." "H 1.0," "H 1.3," "H 1.7," and "H 2.0" when the ISO was above 6400 and it would have been nice if my D610 recorded that data in the EXIF for the shots. No biggie I guess as I don't want to be shooting at such a high ISO anyways.

As for the poor light, it was almost 6pm and the sun was already down. I know I need to shoot on a bright sunny day for action/wildlife shots, especially with a f/5.6 lens.

Don't own the 70-200/4 VR, but in the future if I need that focal range I'd probably spend the $$$ and get the 2.8 version anyways. Perhaps by then a new version without focus breathing will be available.

I'll post some pics in the picture posting thread.

It depends if you shoot at f/2.8 or if the size and/or weight are an issue. My 70-200/2.8 IS II just sits in the cabinet, but the 70-200/4 IS goes most everywhere. I have not even used the f/4 recently as the 100-400 II is so nice. I will use it along with the 200-400 at some point. I very rarely use an aperture wider than f/5.6, but there are AF advantages to f/2.8 or f/4 lenses over f/5.6, not to mention the reduced optical vignetting.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It's Canon's turn. "Almost official" (aka early leak) Canon's new EOS-1D X Mark II camera.

Canon Rumors blurb here.

Will post more info and Canon's official web page when I know them.

Quick specs rundown:

Fastest shooting EOS-1D, capable of up to 14 fps* full-resolution RAW or JPEG, and up to 16 fps* in Live View mode with new Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors.

Achieves a maximum burst rate of up to 170 RAWs in continuous shooting at up to 16 fps, and 4K movies using CFast™ cards in the new CFast 2.0™** slot.

Experience less noise in higher ISO images via a new 20.2 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, with an ISO range of 100–51200; expansion to ISO 409600.

Improved AF performance through 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system with 41 cross-type points, improved center point focusing sensitivity to -3 EV and compatibility down to f/8***.

Accurate subject tracking for stills and video with new EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF with 360,000-pixel metering sensor.

4K video (4096 x 2160) up to 60 fps (59.94), with an 8.8-Megapixel still frame grab**** in camera. Full 1080p HD capture up to 120 fps for slow motion.

Dual Pixel CMOS AF & Movie Servo AF for high speed, high frame rate and continuous autofocus during video shooting.

View and control high quality stills and videos via the 3.2-inch touch panel LCD with 1.62 million dots.

Increased resolution and fine detail, with lens aberration correction and diffraction correction via new in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer technology.

Built-in GPS***** provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code via satellites.

The new optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A is compatible with IEEE 802.11ac/n/a/g/b, supporting both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi® bands.

Durable and rugged magnesium alloy body with dust- and-weather resistance for demanding shooting situations.

LunarMist

Just go to Northlight-images as they have more info and are the source for many lesser sites. 20MP does very little for me, not to mention the new battery pack which practically forces the purchase of two 1DX II bodies. Bastards.

ddrueding

Fixture
Running only 20MP from a FF sensor is one way to get good low-light performance. It also lets you get high FPS numbers. I'm most impressed by the 4k@60FPS video mode; last I checked that was a RED thing (or GoPro, but you know what I mean).