dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'll be standing by for orders. I hope it is midnight not some weird time.

LunarMist

I certainly wouldn't want to walk around with that monster mounted on the camera.

Any lens over about 4 lbs. would be mounted with a tripod collar and carried over the shoulder. ;)
Get some decent pads for the tripod legs. Some people use additional padding on the spider.
If you need to keep a large lens/camera "hand held," then a large lens should also have strap lugs.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You talk like a pro, Lunar (which you are). I'm an amateur. I took out my Nikon D700 from the dry cabinet after not touching it for 4 years.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
About 200, all with flash. Indoor event (engagement of my wife's niece). Didn't enjoy it since I don't like shooting under pressure. My best shots are when I have time to compose and frame, not in a hurry to click because the ring will be put on the fiance in a jiffy. I've told them to get a pro for the wedding. I'll maybe take candids or small group photos of guests, etc.

LunarMist

You talk like a pro, Lunar (which you are). I'm an amateur. I took out my Nikon D700 from the dry cabinet after not touching it for 4 years.

No, I'm not a pro. Most of my cameras and lenses have not been used in 5-10 years. Lately I have been using the 5DsR and 1Dx, but I have over a dozen bodies.

LunarMist

Some guys have dozens of sporting cars but are certainly not pro drivers.

LunarMist

There are still no solid specs for the 5D IV, so I am undecided about the 1DX II.
If the 5D IV has 24 MP, a good framing rate, and high ISO IQ is reasonable, I'd be more inclined not to get a 1DX II and just continue with the 1DX for the rare occasions.
OTOH if the 5D IV has ~30 MP and greater high ISO noise, that is a bigger gap from 18 MP and a 1DX II makes more sense.
I may rent a 1DX II in December either way, because there is a dark activity planned in January.

LunarMist

I'm not even clicking, but I bet it is something about the Brazilian.

Heh, I see they have the usual photos. I think they bring the racks all over the world. I see there are service people there to fix the cameras that bite the dust.
It may be worse with the humidity this year. I hope they have antifungals.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm not even clicking, but I bet it is something about the Brazilian.

LOL. I'm just jealous of your gear. I'm dormant as far as photography goes as it's still too hot to do anything but I'm thinking about taking a week+ long vacation in late Oct/early Nov.

LunarMist

I don't know what products are available for purchase. You know spore formers can be hard to kill in those nooks and crannies without causing other problems to the device or area. ;)
Canon probably just has a lot of spares. I always wondered if some of that stuff is what we buy on the refurb site, but it is probably too abused for that.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/160f2114044bf580630e2b3a5424facd

"THE daring Rio thief who stole $40,000 worth of camera gear from a News Corp Australia photographer has been caught — by the very man from whom he stole the gear!

Photographer Brett Costello noticed the man wearing his jacket when he walked through security to cover the archery event this morning.

Not content with stealing the camera gear from a Rio cafe two days ago, the thief had put Costello’s photo jacket on and wore it through security."

Justice!

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Possible 5D4 specs.

Surprisingly no CFast slot and only 4k30p video. I can kinda see Canon protecting 1Dx2 sales with only 30p video but I would have thought Canon would include, and match the 1Dx2, with Cfast and CF slots. A pro will need 3 types of cards if shooting a 1Dx2 & 5D4. :scratch:

Last edited:

LunarMist

Possible 5D4 specs.

Surprisingly no CFast slot and only 4k30p video. I can kinda see Canon protecting 1Dx2 sales with only 30p video but I would have thought Canon would include, and match the 1Dx2, with Cfast and CF slots. A pro will need 3 types of cards if shooting a 1Dx2 & 5D4. :scratch:

No CFast means 2.5 FPS after the buffer fills. :(
I doubt there is space for CFast and CF, and everyone wants sn SD option.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
No CFast means 2.5 FPS after the buffer fills. :(
I doubt there is space for CFast and CF, and everyone wants sn SD option.

Nikon kinda had the right idea with it's replaceable card-slot "bay" in the D5 with either dual XQD or dual CF slots. But they didn't take it far enough. Should have been 1) a user-serviceable option and 2) many different options available, so people could have the exact card slot configuration they want.

LunarMist

I was about to reply how disappointed I was that it didn't have WiFi built in, then I saw this link at the bottom.

The updated rumonger specs include Wi-Fi. That SD card device will be like an Eye-Fi for other Canon cameras, but not sucky and web based.
30.4 MP at 7 FPS is an interesting compromise. It really needs more RAM than the 5DsR or 1DX to keep that buffer free with CF cards.

LunarMist

The NVS2801 is coming soon. Now of course if the 5D IV is not equipped with CFast there is not as much need for it. :eek4:

Last edited:

LunarMist

OK, I fixed it. ; ) Unfortunately the US versions must be purchased with a drive and 1TB is useless.

The latest updates confirm the specs and have images.
The 5D IV has all sorts of connectivity, but no auto AF calibration. There is also mention of additional touchscreen features.
I hope they are not mandatory or it will really suck if the body is used in bad weather. :crap:

LunarMist

◾Sensor: effective 30.4MP CMOS sensor
◾Dual pixel AF CMOS
◾AF points: 61 points
◾150,000-pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
◾Anti-flicker
◾Continuous shooting 7 frames/s
◾ISO100-102400 (extended sensitivity)
◾Touch screen
◾Dust and water specification
◾Video 30fps 4K
◾Slow motion 120fps of HD video
◾Time-lapse movie
◾GPS built-in
◾Wi-Fi, NFC
◾Media SD / SDHC / SDXC and CompactFlash TypeII
◾USB3.0 terminal, HDMI terminal
◾Size: 150.7 x 116.4 x 75.9mm
◾Weight 890g

So there, Dave will like all the wireless stuff in the 5D IV. What's the deal with the NFC; it's not like the BlueTooths or the Wi-Fi are enough systems? My laptop doesn't have the NFC, so I won't have any use.