dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Also a second 1Ds MK III is somewhere out there. Something will have to go. I don't really need eight DSLRs, five being FF.

LunarMist

Hey, how about a deal on a 10MP Digital Rebeller. :tounge: Only used in the living room. No rear control dial. :( Stupid Canon designers make it impossible to use EC and change apertures.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've already got a Rebel XSi do I don't need a Rebel XTi, but I might be interested in other stuff you want to sell. :)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Couple reasons. One is that I find them too big and heavy. Another is that I am getting married soon, and sooner or later, some of my gear will have to go, by decree of Her Majesty.

Since I will have less time for photography in the future, and will increasingly have my hands full (literally, especially if we have kids), I have decided to initiate an "arms reduction" program, where I will downscale my equipment proactively in exchange for (theoretically) more freedom to manage my photographic purchases in the future.

My Olympus dSLR gear will be for "serious" photography, and I will be getting the Olympus E-P1 + 17/2.8 pancake as the compact "take anywhere" option.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Also thinking I might be able to "hide" some of the money I get back for my big FF gear in an inconspicuous Leica lens or two* ;)

* -- I can use Leica M and screw-mount lenses on my m4/3 bodies via a Leica M-mount to m4/3 adapter

Stereodude

Not really a
Another is that I am getting married soon, and sooner or later, some of my gear will have to go, by decree of Her Majesty.
This is the first sign your SO needs to go instead. Give her a list of all the things she has to get rid of and see how she likes it. Then tell her she can tell you what to get rid of when she gets rid of that stuff first.

LunarMist

Also thinking I might be able to "hide" some of the money I get back for my big FF gear in an inconspicuous Leica lens or two* ;)

* -- I can use Leica M and screw-mount lenses on my m4/3 bodies via a Leica M-mount to m4/3 adapter

:( I hope it works out. BTW, if you happen to have a recent 80-400 VR....

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
This is the first sign your SO needs to go instead. Give her a list of all the things she has to get rid of and see how she likes it. Then tell her she can tell you what to get rid of when she gets rid of that stuff first.

Well you are correct SD, but I kind of doubt it is the 1st sign. Those in the throngs of chemical love like e_dawg are prone to miss a lot of 'signs'. Check back with us in 7yrs...we'll see if it makes it that far. Besides, there's always next year for new gear to upgrade to, it's guy thing I suspect. Damn, look at the Nikon roadmap (rumor mill), and that's just for next year :eek:wneddnce:

The Panny GH1 isn't the perfect hybrid anyway, soft corners on the kit lens many will never be content with. Always something better down the road.

*edit* only 100 more posts to hit the magic 1k...must take more drugs and hurry up :D

ddrueding

Fixture
We all make compromises when we enter a relationship. Some people believe that you shouldn't have to make compromises or that those compromises aren't worth it. Those are normally the people that aren't in a relationship (at least for very long). The rest of us take our licks with a smile; it isn't so bad, and it indeed worth it. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
...and it indeed worth it. ;)

Like getting to see the thongs that Uda loves in person and when taking them off with your teeth you (and I) can realize...I don't have to leave a $20 bill to enjoy this.

(but I might have to sell some computer equipment in the near future)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Like getting to see the thongs that Uda loves in person and when taking them off with your teeth you (and I) can realize...I don't have to leave a $20 bill to enjoy this.

(but I might have to sell some computer equipment in the near future)

Yes, we all have our price...

If you think about it, going into a relationship is like getting a car. You can either rent (date / club), lease (longer term relationship), or purchase (marriage).

Some people get tired of renting and like the convenience of always having a car around so you can just get in and start driving when you need it, so they lease. But there is a time limit with a lease -- you either need to buy at the end of the term, or you need to return it... you can't just extend the lease indefinitely. As well, when you want to return it at the end of the lease, you may find that it's not quite so easy. You can get blamed for all kinds of damages and might have to pay various charges or risk a lawsuit.

To avoid the hassle of leasing and returning every few years, some people feel purchasing for the long haul is the solution. Some figure although it's a massive up-front cost, you save in the long-run. Problem is, as the years pass, the value depreciates. In fact, they say you take the biggest hit as soon as you drive off the lot.

In an effort to maintain the value, some will put a lot of effort into pampering their baby, buying lavish accessories, treating it to a deluxe service, etc. But after the initial 3-year no charge maintence , you find that it constantly needs new parts and accessories. The cost of maintenance and upkeep seems to keep going up, and yet it doesn't perform quite the way it used to when it was new. Breakdowns become more frequent, and you're starting to think about a new model.

Now you realize that getting rid of your old car is not quite so easy either. After doing some research, you find that you will take a huge loss to sell the car, and you wonder whether you're better off keeping it until it dies ;)

LunarMist

Now I have a half-assed image of cameras/lenses, but the forum size limit is too small.

LunarMist

Er, it reads like "images-hack." That reminds of the expertsexchange site a few years ago.

In no way will I put something on an uncontrolled site like that. One may as well use their own host.

LunarMist

This shot is not very good, but no lights were available and I was using a sofa. :roll: I overlaid a couple of areas to add the taking camera/lens. The 24TSE MK II is missing, but that is another story.

ddrueding

Fixture
That is a lot of big lenses, and a whole lot of bodies. Not high enough resolution for me to identify most of them, but as my wife said "it just screams money".

Stereodude

Not really a
This shot is not very good, but no lights were available and I was using a sofa. :roll: I overlaid a couple of areas to add the taking camera/lens. The 24TSE MK II is missing, but that is another story.
I see a film camera in there. This is the dSLR thread. :joker:

And, I'm surprised to see you have a non Canon (Sigma?) lens in the back row. What lens is it?

And what's with the Tamron lens cap on the Canon L lens on the camera in the front?

And I hope your a professional photographer making money from that very nice of a collection gear.

LunarMist

There is a Sigma 150/2.8 macro and a CZ lens in there also. The Sigma is very compact in a backpack and IQ is quite good.

The Canon lens caps have no center pinch and are awful when used on lenses with hoods. Tamron caps like the one on the 24-70/2.8 are very nice and are cheaper than similar Nikon caps. The large teles have Zeck caps, but you can't see them.

LunarMist

eh, it would have been better if you pressed the muslin before you took the picture. but maybe the electric iron is on the fritz

If I had time or interest for doing that I would rather have found some lights. ;)

LunarMist

The relatively recent cameras* are capable of decent UDMA performance, i.e., 30-35 MB/sec. with UDMA 4 cards. Some of them are capable of UDMA 6, but it is uncertain whether writing speeds will increase with faster cards. I guess we will find out soon as the faster cards reach to market. Older cameras that are not UDMA capable do not need fast cards. There is the in-between 1Ds MK III, which supports UDMA yet has a bottleneck somewhere else. :(

*beginning with the Nikon D300 and continuing with the D3/D3X, the Canon 50D and 5D MK II, some Sonys, etc.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I see a film camera in there. This is the dSLR thread. :joker:

And I hope your a professional photographer making money from that very nice of a collection gear.

IIRC LM mentioned he wasn't a pro???

I don't see a film SLR, unless you're referring to the RH backrow, with the angular pentaprism housing...though I can't see a rewind spindle, so figured it's just a early model dSLR?

Most of them can be identified by the shape or configuration, but a few are ambiguous. They are more obvious at larger scales.

I see the red of the Rebel emblem on the backrow LH side, maybe a 5D in front of it, l-r 4 1series bodies, then 2 bodies ??? flatter squat mirror housing, pentamirror??? ...but they have secondary LCD's on top so they can't be Rebels, must be xxD series then, sure do look a lot smaller than what I think is a 5D on the far left?

These 600x CF cards are interesting. I wonder when Sandisk will follow suit.

I wonder when CF will be superseded by faster/smaller cards of equal capacity?

Why a ts-e 24mm L II (not mk II) is missing, and not a 17mm TS-E? Would have thought you'd be psyched about the 17mm ts-e? IQ is probably equal to the old 24mm TS-E, so it seems like a promising lenses that goes very wide...provides more utility than the 24mm

Isn't the 500D compatible with the 17mm TS-E, so you could have true w/a shots with even a crop sensor dSLR- can't do that yet on a Nikon.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/lenses/ts-e_17_f4_l.html

I am convinced this will see the day of light (someday :p ):

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/07/19/the-most-ridiculous-nikon-rumor.aspx

I'd take those specs even if the sensor was just a 12MP FF, better yet, a Fuji FF EXR sensor

LunarMist

All of the camera bodies should be identifiable except the one on the front right, which could be one of two models at that resolution. I don't know enough about the US version of the Rebels to be sure if other models are similar to the one in the photo. The film body is obvious.

The 24 TSE II that I was supposed to receive vanished. I suspect it was sold to someone else. Unfortunately the 24 TSE II was released two weeks too late for my needs in 2009, so it makes little difference. The 17 TSE would be nice sometimes, but useage would be too infrequent to be worthwhile. The small sensor bodies are rarely if ever used after testing. Essentially they are a way to gain extra reach in very specific situations.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ok, long story short (as short as I can make it without the usual 'vetting' posts :p )...noticed this guy, he's a writer/freelance toting his new D3 (he had a D2H or something). I see him all the time at the local farmers mkts, and I commented on his new D3. He thanks me for noticing. Later as I talking to him while he walks at a brisk pace through the FM, he says to me (he's got a load of bags and stuff to carry the individual fruits and such he buys) 'shit, shit!' 'I left something back somewhere, and it's worth $500'. I said 'what is it, I'll help you find it, trace your steps backwards'. He declined my offer and did not tell me what this mystery $500 item was. I walked along with him, he looks at the back end of an open truck of a vendor and finds his small bag with whatever is inside.

Well next week I see him again, this time he's doing an article on the BHFM, and he's capturing images for his article he's writing (most images are now only available online as the print edition has shrunk precipitously), but he's having trouble focusing, or getting the D3 to AF properly. I did not see which lens he had on at the time, but I've seen a rotation of a couple of zooms 20-40mm, something mid-range, and then a 105mm Micro Nikkor, which IIRC is a macro lens? Not sure which lens, but he's trying to focus, relatively closeup, say 2ft away from a bunch of grapes. He keeps cursing that he can't get good focus, cause his hands are shaking. Think he's got it on auto ISO, AEB 5 shots at a blast. Then he gives up.

And I tell him maybe he needs a mono pod if his hands are shaking. Presumably he could have easily gone into a mode that was high ISO, such that even if it wasn't a VR lens, he should have been able to get a good shot. But I'm guessing he meant that because he wasn't holding the lens steady enough, the AF was shifting depending on what grape the center spot was on??? He must have wanted shallow DOF, and the AF was hunting as his hands were unsteady, because he had it on center weighted AF zone (there are like 57 focus points and are they not selectable on such an high-end piece of equipment? ).

Here's one of his stories:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fow-market24-2009jun24,0,745115.story

So the following week I see him at another FM, and he's got this tiny, lightweight CF Gitzo tripod! One vendor asked him about it, and he mentioned the carbon fibre construction, how light it was, how small it collapsed down to, that it was his 'travel' tripod, and that it cost $500. So why was he so secretive about it with me??? Weird. What I noticed (after he had told some other vendor that he has $20k in lenses) was that this 4 section Gitzo doesn't extend very tall, and that the legs are ridiculously skinny such that when extended as he had them, the $4k D3 body + $1-2k lens, was very easy to 'bounce' around a top this flimsy tripod, that the very bottom legs would flex noticeably when he was grabbing the body and moving the tripod to get an exact framed shot.

Why don't any tripod makers make *heavy-duty* thick walled & diameter CF tripod legs, in a 'travel length' collapsing model, something that can actually do a 1/2 way decent job of supporting a dSLR + aver./smaller lens? I would think the market would be huge for such a model?

Do you think this guy just doesn't understand how AF works, or how to use the D3 correctly, which was at the root of his focusing problems? Does shallow DOF/fast F-stops cause hunting with any AF lens when aimed at a target that is relatively close to a lens, if you can't hold the lens steady? I did not realize that this could be such a problem. I mentioned to him that he should just manually focus, seemed that should rectify the issue, but he did not seem to want to listen? Was I wrong about that, is the standard focus screen in the viewfinder too difficult to judge accurate focus point when manually focusing, or is he just a hack photographer?

btw, he rants that he does AEB 5 shots, specifically so he can get a properly exposed image in difficult lighting situations outdoors, but complains that an 'intern' at the newspaper, can just hit some button, and completely screw up the exposure as it's shown on the Net.

(well it was a shorter story, I left out some details...).