DVD Hi-Def format war near end, Blu-ray wins?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'll grant the size but from when it came out they were the same form factor of LP records so common storage was easy. As to expense, movies were maybe $5-10 more than their VHS version but the quality provided was obvious. I think the platform's failure was due to the lack of a home recorder & general lack of integrated tuners on the players, both features that VHS (& Betamax) offered.

Playback on LD was also better than the initial round of DVD that were released as the studios hadn't figured out how to maintain good image quality with the compression (LDs didn't use compression). Twister IIRC was a prime example.

ddrueding

Fixture
I remember Terminator 2 on Laserdisk on a rich friends parents system. It was awesome, but I was 13, so many things were awesome.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
T2 collectors edition on LD was indeed awesome, however the CAV discs meant that you would have to switch sides/discs every 30 minutes. My Sony LD player did have the dual sided player functionality but it was still a reasonable wait whilst the transport grinded it's way to the other side of the disc. Still it was the best image/audio quality on the market at the time by far.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Do any of you remember DAT, Digital Audio Tape. The record industry killed it in it's infancy. I heard a demo tape and it was awsome. A cassett with no hisssss. And you could duplicate tapes without any losses.

Bozo :joker:

Handruin

Administrator
Do any of you remember DAT, Digital Audio Tape. The record industry killed it in it's infancy. I heard a demo tape and it was awsome. A cassett with no hisssss. And you could duplicate tapes without any losses.

Bozo :joker:

Back in my high school (1992-1995) we always recorded our concerts on DAT. The dynamic range was so much better than cassette back then, that it helped to preserve the music we created. Our instructor was on top of things to have the foreknowledge to buy into it over any other media we had available at the time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a DAT player. I transferred everything I had on DAT (studio tapes from one of Chicago's classical stations) to CD. By the time I got a recorder, I also owned a CD burner. Most of the appeal for me was getting copies of stuff that was otherwise unobtainable.

Regarding LaserDisc sound quality, AFAIK the only common sound format that was available was basic, CD quality PCM. I don't see a reason to put 44kHz, 16bit PCM on a pedestal compared to any moderate or high bit rate Dolby Digital or DTS source; I certainly think there's a lot to be gained from the multichannel source.

First Laserdisc I saw was my brother's copy of Aliens.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
A lot of smaller studios still use DAT; it's perfectly acceptable for a lot of purposes.