Firefox 5, Opera 11.11 and Chrome 12 all equal...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
...in SunSpider javascript benchmark at least. On my modest main computer (Core i7 950 with Win7 64b), their scores are the following :

• Firefox 5.0 : 316.4ms ± 1.1%
  • Chrome 12 : 316.4ms ± 2.1%
  • Opera 11.11 : 309.5ms ± 2.2%
So considering the margin of error, we can safely say that they are all performing equally on this benchmark. Firefox 5.0 is quite an improvement over Firefox 4 in this regard. Opera and Chrome were already neck and neck.

Firefox 5.0 still fails the Acid3test (97%) while the other two have been passing it succesfully for quite a while.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
...in SunSpider javascript benchmark at least. On my modest main computer (Core i7 950 with Win7 64b), their scores are the following :

• Firefox 5.0 : 316.4ms ± 1.1%
  • Chrome 12 : 316.4ms ± 2.1%
  • Opera 11.11 : 309.5ms ± 2.2%
So considering the margin of error, we can safely say that they are all performing equally on this benchmark. Firefox 5.0 is quite an improvement over Firefox 4 in this regard. Opera and Chrome were already neck and neck.

Firefox 5.0 still fails the Acid3test (97%) while the other two have been passing it succesfully for quite a while.

Firefox on Acid3

http://limi.net/articles/firefox-acid3/
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2010/06/not_implementin.html

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Yep, Mozilla have moved to a quick release schedule similar to Chrome. In reality, many see FF5 as merely FF4.1, as the number of new features added is nothing compared to FF3 -> FF4.

According to https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases , FF6 will be in BETA on 5 Jul 2011.

Interestingly Thunderbird 5 will be released on less than a week... (FYI, they skipped Thunderbird 4, so the version numbers are more inline with Firefox).

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
^ stupid pricks

Pure marketing bs. Why don't they just rename FF4.1 (AKA 5) "Firefox 10" so that they are one in front of Microsoft (which is obviously what they are aiming at) and stop buggerising about with people's browsers?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think a more important idea for them might be to increase the visibility and importance of updating to modern versions. My coworkers, who are theoretically computer people, still won't do things like Java and Flash updates "because it might mess something up."

I use scheduled runs of the ninite.com updater to keep people's stuff up to date. No one does it on their own.

Handruin

Administrator
After you update firefox, it will warn/inform you to update your flash version to a safer one if you don't have it already. I didn't see that for java, but at least it does it for flash.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, does ninite install all the tool bars and other crap that some of the utilities come with?

Mercutio

Nope. That's a big part of the point.
For commercial use, ninite has a cost that I'd probably pay if I worked for a big company.

I wish the default install of Spybot didn't include Teatimer, though.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, TeaTimer is quite a ressource hog. Way too heavy for the protection it offers. It looks like softwares made by Symantec.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
^ stupid pricks

Pure marketing bs. Why don't they just rename FF4.1 (AKA 5) "Firefox 10" so that they are one in front of Microsoft (which is obviously what they are aiming at) and stop buggerising about with people's browsers?

Finally found it... https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

Looks like Firefox 9 will this year's Christmas release.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
^ stupid pricks

Why don't you ask why Chrome went 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 etc? They all do it. It doesn't make it right, but the great unwashed believe bigger is better.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
IIRC MS did that when Word for Windows 2 was replaced with 6 in one jump to compete with WordPerfect. :monkey:

Mercutio

I think the party line at the time was that they were bringing the Word version number to parity with the Excel version number in the same version of MS Office.

Mercutio

I used IE9 for the first time over the weekend. It was decidedly Chrome-like. I'm not sure how far I'd want the browser UI minimalism to go, but that's definitely the direction the biggest browsers are taking. Google is talking about removing the URL bar from the default view in future versions of Chrome. That seems like a bad idea to me.

ddrueding

Fixture
Google is talking about removing the URL bar from the default view in future versions of Chrome. That seems like a bad idea to me.

I would agree. In fact, that would probably be the last element standing for me. Elements to keep in order:

URL Bar (with search capability)
Button to menu with everything else
Back button (with drop-down history option)
Tabs
Bookmark Bar

In fact, my current config looks just like that.

Mercutio

XP users can still move up to IE8, and then never click on it. That's probably the best IQ-retaining option. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Looks like Firefox 9 will this year's Christmas release.
Yep, it was.

BTW, regarding the javascript benchmark from SunSpider, I fell on my ass. I ran it to compare all the major players and on my computer (Core i7 2600K/Win7 Pro 64b), I got the following ranking :

• Google Chrome 16 : ~238ms
  • Opera 11.60 : ~224ms
  • Mozilla Firefox 9 and SeaMonkey 2.6 : ~200ms
  • Internet Explorer 9 : ~190ms
I'm still trying to put back my jaw since it felt on the floor. I ran the test twice on each browser to confirm. Just can't believe it. IE9, fucking IE 9 is beating all the others on Javascript. Unbelievable.

ddrueding

Fixture
Now that Firefox has reached numerical version parody with IE will they slow their release schedule? Or are they going to race Chrome into the triple-digits?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Now that Firefox has reached numerical version parody with IE will they slow their release schedule? Or are they going to race Chrome into the triple-digits?

I heard at one time they wanted to increase the release schedule to every 4 weeks. But in that it'll be easier to move to a date version format instead (like the AMD gfx drivers), eg Firefox 2012.1

Mercutio

Does anyone even know what version Chrome is on off the top of their head? Do version numbers for non-sucky browsers even matter any more?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
IIRC, Chrome manged to push a huge chunk of their userbase from v14 to 15 within 24 hours or something crazy, actually surpassing IE v(whatever).