CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Groltz said:
Code:
[06:51:15] Protein: p611_trpzip1_ext
[06:51:15] - Run: 19 (Clone 55, Gen 12)
[06:51:15] - Frames Completed: 302, Remaining: 98
[06:51:15] - Dynamic steps required: 1225000
That protein takes around 9 hours to complete on my Athlon XP 1700+ box.

Oh and I have to say it at least once : I past the furry ball and I'm now 5th :mrgrn:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Jake the Dog said:
100.95 w/u day total! phew, i've been trying to crack that one for a while. next goal, 500 w/u week total.
[Adam Sandler voice]

YOU'RE SICK! YOU'RE SICK!

[/Adam Sandler voice]

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Just picked up a Pentium Pro 200/256k, Intel Performance/AU motherboard, and four 64mb Crucial sticks of 50ns EDO from work :D

They were throwing it out FFS!!

Once the ATX case I've ordered comes through I'll fire this baby up and add a third machine to my Folding group.

That CPU does get hot though... I left on for 5 minutes it with a large passive heatsink that it came with (which originally was right next to the PSU vents), while I set the BIOS options, and it was almost too hot to touch. Checked the power dissipation figures and around 45W is quoted for the PPro200/256 :eek:

200MMX was 17W :cry:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yup, those mmx's were based on newer design.. they were the coolest running PC processors I can remember... I almost doubt if you need a heatsink on them. You certainly don't need thermal paste (As I have noticed from a few gateway2000 machines)

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Way to go Tim!!

500 points, wow.

I've got an Abit KT7A motherboard here to test if it works. I'm thinking about getting a Duron 1.3gig to test the board with. That should help our crunching a bit :)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
You'd certainly need a heatsink on one, and a fan too in most cases.

I've run a 233mmx without a heatsink and it was too hot to touch after 10-15 seconds. I remember the time when Cyrix were said to be running so hot and kept crashing, looking at the specs on http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm , even the PR200 gives off a measly 15W, its amazing how far heatsinks have come. I guess back then nobody gave a toss about them.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
In your original post you menioned you don't need a heatsink.... all I'm saying is that you do :)

With a large heatsink you don't need a fan, no.

Check this passive cooler I got off a Dell, it still gets hot enough to burn at full load on a 200MMX, but in the Dell it was hear the PSU fan.

www.rotting-energy.net/Forums/phs.jpg

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
99 WUs and counting .. for some reason my score is decently higher than several others who have already processed over 100 WUs. I read the details on how each machine is benchmarked but it still seems odd that my score is rising disproportionately faster than some other folks. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

FWIW, I fold with a Thunderbird 1.4GHz and a Dell Latitude notebook P4M 1.6GHz. The Tbird runs 24x7 but since I'm modem-based it sometimes goes idle. The notebook is on all the time except while I'm lugging it to/from work and is under the same modem constraint at home but uses the WAN, of course, when I'm at the office.

- Fushigi

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I got the case for the pentium pro, set it all up, its pretty damn fast for a 200MHz machine working in Windows as it has plenty of memory. Loading up large programs takes some time but I'm currently running it on a 2.1Gb Caviar which is junk, so either I'll stick a WD Enterprise in it (I have a 4.5gb 7.2k lying around), or I might move over the Fireball AS from my P3 and load EZ Drive on it so that I can use it (BIOS max. = 8gb). Dunno. either way, its going to start running F@H in a few minutes :cooler:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Like myself, I'm sure many of us are not crunching to our full potential. However, everyone is commended for their efforts, considering that we are 33rd in the rankings and Team Austech is still on the horizon.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
And congratulations to Jake on his ascention to 3rd place.

For the next few days or so the order for the top ten will be as follows:

1. Cliptin
  2. The JoJo
  3. Jake the Dog
  4. Clocker
  5. CougTek
  6. Tea
  7. Handruin
  8. Bartender
  9. P5
  10. JMP

Jake should pass The JoJo on 12/9 And Clocker should pass The JoJo mid-January provided nothing changes regarding runching capacity.

The top five weekly producers are currently:
  1. Jake the Dog
  2. Cliptin
  3. Clocker
  4. The JoJo
  5. CougTek

Handruin

Administrator
Fushigi said:
The graphic that SF hosts for this page: http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage.detailed?q=10047 is missing. Perhaps it didn't survive the server transition?

http://www.storageforum.net/themes/projektx/images/logo.gif is where F@H thinks the graphic is stored.

- Fushigi

Who has the ability to change the logo?? I don't remember who created the sf team.

Whoever it is, can you please change the link and make it point to:

http://www.storageforum.net/img/sf-logo.jpg

I will try to come up with a team logo for us soon.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I'm not sure how but my weekly total has jumped into the 600's. the only change is that I added Linux boxes but they only replaced two Windows boxes that my dev team needed. I understood that the F@H Linux console clients aren't as good as the Windows console clients but perhaps this is not the case.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Thanks Tim!
Didn't notice I've gone over the 6k mark.

I've been moving for the last few days. My girlfriend and I bought a flat a few hundred meters from where we were living (renting). My first own appartment (ok, half apartment :) )!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
How good is the Tualatin 1.13/512k for F@H?

I bought one on impulse, it was a good deal, £50 which is under $100 when the new ones go for more than double that.

it actually comes with a makeshift Powerleap adaptor - the guy got a pin carriage as he calls it, a socket that takes the the CPU on one side and then the other side plugs in to the mobo - essentially an adaptor that doesn't change anything.

I have no idea where he got it or what the original intended application was as it essentially does nothing in its normal form, but anyway, as you may know there are some mods you can do (namely cutting 3 pins off and shorting two others together) to get a Tualatin to run on almost any S370 or Slot1 board, and the "pin carriage" saves you from having to do this mod to the CPU itself - you can modify the pin carriage and the CPU remains intact.

So now I have a Tualatin 1.13/512k that can run on just about any S370 mobo. I'm thinking I could buy a cheap used one, I have a Matrox MGA 4mb graphics card, loads of old (tiny) drives, a PSU, and plenty of CDROMs and ISA soundcards lying around that I could use.

But I have no case, memory, or mobo, and if I'm going to build this system might as well do it all the way. I'd want to fill it with 256 or 512mb PC133, and a decent hard drive, I'd not want to insult this CPU by putting one of the 120mb WD or 500mb Seagates I've got lying around on it, if its going to be a decent system. Not to mention the noise those will make (the Quantum Prodrive 400mb is the worst by far - it can be heard anywhere in the house with all the doors closed and I'm not exaggerating - something is definately wrong with the bearings!)

It would also be a good project for making a Silent PC - at just 25W under full load the Tualatin is an ideal candidate for passive cooling at this performance level.

But then I'd end up spending more money trying to get it silent - it is my obsession after all! I'm sure I could do something better with the money, like for example tip it down a drain, but I still think its a fun project - single platter 'Cuda V, soundproofing, Zalman PSU and CPU heatsink, sound insulated case. But basically a waste of money and in the end I'd never really use it as I already have two machines - it would only sit there doing F@H. So.. what do you guys think I should do? Build it anyway for the hell of it and the good of the team (hah), or just sell the CPU at a profit and get it over with?

I guess I've answered my own question... bah...

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
BTW... that Pentium Pro. It got on my nerves, wouldn't always want to boot from CD and I got rid of it for a very nice price on ebay - around $150 on ebay as a complete system with enlight case and all.

For the Tualatin my head and wallet don't want to agree with my heart.

So go ahead everyone and tell me it sucks at F@H so I can get rid of it freely without feeling I'm letting down the team

:wink:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm the one who created the team. I'll see tomorrow if I can change the picture.

We have apparently lost the precious contribution of JBarkdale. Sad, he was a prolific member for our team.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Congrats to Cliptin and Jake for their 100-point-a-day performances! Good job, everyone.

Steve