Folding@Home

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Jake the Dog said:
is anyone successfuly folding on an althonXP running winXP? i can't get my XP2000 to run the win or console version of F@H without it locking up within minutes :x :x :x

I'm running two Athlon XPs in WinXP in my SMP rig. Both are running F@H.

C

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Jake the Dog said:
is anyone successfuly folding on an althonXP running winXP? i can't get my XP2000 to run the win or console version of F@H without it locking up within minutes :x :x :x

Sure. FAH console v3.1 beta on Windows XP Pro with an Athlon 1900++++.

If it takes a few minutes to lock up after starting FAH, it sounds heat related. Is your rig staying cool enough with FAH running? The only other thing that gives me that problem is not supplying enough Vcore voltage to the CPU to support a given overclock speed. If temperature if not a problem, and you are running the stock voltage, perhaps try raising your Vcore voltage a small amount.

-Steve

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
it does sound heat related but i doubt it is. CPU temp goes to @ 41c before it locks up however 3Dmark pushes the CPU temp to 43c and it runs fine. i'm running default core voltage but i'll up it somewhat and see what happens. thanks for the suggestion Groltz :)

i'm running the 3.11 ver of the console.

perhaps it's the chipset. Clocker obviously isn't running the KT266A chipset that my mobo is. what mobo/chipset are you running Sol & Groltz?

below is my current config:

-----
Windows XP Pro, Athlon XP2000, MSI K7T266 Pro2-RAID USB2, 1 x 512Mb CAS2 DDRAM, 2 x 40Gb Maxtor 740's, 2 x 40Gb Barracuda IV'a in RAID1, LG 52x CDROM, LG 24x10x40 CDRW, Leadtek GF4 400Ti, Hercules Game Theatre XP, Intel Pro100+ NIC, 2 x 17" HP Ultra XGA monitor, Mustek 1200CU USB Scanner, Cornerstone CM200 cable modem

Sol

Storage is cool
Soltek DRV5, also VIA KT333

It may still be heat related even though 3dMark doesn't crash it.
I used to have an issue when my machine got a bit hot that XMPEG would crash it, nothing else just XMPEG.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks like core 0.78 is out for Windows. Annoyingly it is now crunching on a protein, instead of doing genes like I told it to :(

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Let's go Tea. I want to see one 100 point day out of you.

It may be some time before I get a chance to rebuild the OSs on the two 1800s that are down, so I'll just list the systems I have runing right now:

At work:
6-7 2Ghz P4s in a rotating scheme using my batch file.

At home:
1 XP1700
2 XP1800
1 Duron 850 or 950
1 Celeron 600
1 P133

Let's keep up the good work guys.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Congratulations.

Tea, you are number 118 of all folding crunchers for daily total.
CougTek, you are number 213 of all folding crunchers for daily total.
The JoJo, you are not far behind at 234.

It's great to have so many in the top 250 of all crunchers.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i've tried all sorts of voltage combinations all the way up to 1.8v and it still locks up. max temp gets to 45c.

i've tried different memory settings as well. my system is stable otherwise, on fact F@H is the only thing that gives the O/S some grief. i really have nfi why F@H locks it up. could someone send me an older console client please. i'd like to give that a go.

please send to V8gent@GMH-Torana.com.

Thanks!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Pradeep said:
Looks like core 0.78 is out for Windows. Annoyingly it is now crunching on a protein, instead of doing genes like I told it to :(
IIRC, FAHCore 0.78 is the core used for Gromacs test protein and it's only temporarily used. When the test protein is completed, it comes back to the good 'ol 0.65. At least that's what I've seen on my Linux box for the last month or so.

If I don't suffer from any other service interuptions anymore, I should return to my usual 180-220 points a week cruising speed. It's good to see that I finally got respectable output again, after my week of misery without Net access. I don't know if I'll be able to reach Doug again though. Damn! I was only about 7 points of him before I lost internet access and I'm now finding myself backed off some 50-60 points behind. Damn Videotron, may they all burn in Hell.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cliptin said:
Let's go Tea. I want to see one 100 point day out of you.

Coming right up, Clippy. I've fallen in a hole lately. For a while there I had:

5 Athlon XP 1800
1 Athlon Thunderbird 1333
2 Duron 850
1 Thunderbird 700

Then last weekend I went stupid and walked round plugging every spare CPU I could lay my hands on into a motherboard, and going through Tannin's collection of old, not-for-sale hard drives to find enough 1GB and 420MB units to fold on. At one stage I had:

5 Athlon XP 1800
1 Athlon XP 1700
3 Duron 850
3 Thunderbird 700
1 K6-2/450

all going at once. I got a bit too carried away with the K6-2. I installed W98 on a 250MB Western Digital drive, and that went OK, but once I loaded the folding program there wasn't enough room for a swap file and the system would stop. With 64MB it needs to swap a bit. In the end I had to stick in a 200MB Conner as a slave just for the swap file! But 420s work fine.

But first there was a power failure which killed all but my two home XPs for 12 or 14 hours, then the bloody clowns I have to work with went and sold half of them! They are as bad as each other: Tannin sells them and writes out the form, Kristi steals all my nice bits and makes computers out of them. I'm down to:

2 Athlon XP 1800
1 Athlon XP 1700
1 Duron 850
1 Thunderbird 700

and even those are at risk. But I snuck onto the fax machine while Tannin wasn't looking and ordered 10 more XP 1800s. I still have plenty of motherboards and power supplies, so come the weekend I'll try for that 100 point day, Cliptin.

Your productivity, by the way, is astonishing. Come on JoJo pull your finger out and start crunching like you used to and let's rock.

Clocker - catch us if you can!

Groltz

Jake the Dog said:
i've tried all sorts of voltage combinations all the way up to 1.8v and it still locks up. max temp gets to 45c.

i've tried different memory settings as well. my system is stable otherwise, on fact F@H is the only thing that gives the O/S some grief. i really have nfi why F@H locks it up. could someone send me an older console client please. i'd like to give that a go.

please send to V8gent@GMH-Torana.com.

Thanks!

Jake, if you'd like to try 3.1beta, which I have had good luck with, download it from here

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
PLOP......

Ahh, what a relief to get the finger out of ....

OK, I'll get a few more computers to crunch today, so that should help a little bit.

But Clocker, Tea and Cliptin, I might be able to rock 'n roll and run, but you boys/orangutangs FLY!!! Bloody supersonic stuff! Good work!

And good work everyone else! We need evey little piece of crunching possible!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Dear Mr Cliptin,

I received your instructions to produce a 100 point day, and am doing my best to comply.

At my productive peak last weekend, I had ... er ... 17,133MHz in total (that's if I count the Athlon XPs at their PR rating). By this afternoon, I was down to a piddly 8183MHz, and I'm loosing another XP 1800 tommorow morning. :( Still, a modestly productive evening saw me creep back up again to squeak past the 10,000MHz barrier again. But with that darn Kristi stealing all my Athlon XPs, it took some rooting around in the parts bins. Tonight I added:

2 Duron 850s to make 3 in total
1 Duron 800
1 Celeron 700 @ 788

and rescued the K6-2/450, which had been pushed aside to make room in the workshop. If I have got my sums right, that adds up to 10,621MHz. But - alas! - Westan have no more XP 1800s in stock! :( So I ordered 5 1900s instead. :) Provided they arrive on time, and so long as no-one sells them on me, they should do the trick.

I remain, Sir, your obediant servant,

Tea

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Cliptin has a day total of 113 points!!!!

Maybe this has happened for you or Tea before, but I haven't seen it before. Great work!!!!

Tea, impressive amount of hardware!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe we should ALL run our machines under ONE ID for a few days to see if we can grab a spot in the top 10...at least for a day or so...?

C

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cliptin surges into Second spot!

Great effort, Tea,. Cliptin, you is really crunchin. 113 points in a day must be our record. And at last report, we had this lineup:

1 2465 The_JoJo
3 2445 Cliptin
4 2229 Tea
2 2168 Clocker
5 1732 handruin

Cliptin: you da man!

But we still need another 600-odd points a week to hold off Team Xtreme Systems.

To that end I've been adding still more systems. I won't be able to keep it up for long, but I managed to snaffle a couple of XP 1900s tonight, a Thunderbird 1000, possibly another Duron or two, and a P-III 666. Counting the XPs at face value, and counting the overclock on the Celeron 700, that's 17,387MHz. I wanted to see if I could get 20,000MHz crunching over the weekend but I ran out of space on the hubs, and was to lazy to resort to co-ax. Maybe I'll bring my other hub in from home in the morning and see what can be done. If it rains or is cold and windy, I'll do it for sure. If it is a delightful as today was, then maybe not.

We are within 600 points of hitting the Top 40!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Just got back from my holidays - machine crunching as usual. XP1800 joining on September 5th.

Sol

Storage is cool
It's been a long haul but I finally got abouve the thick blue line and joined the top 20 crunchers for our team. Woo hoo.

JMP

What is this storage?
I will be losing an Athlon XP 1700 in the morning, customer wants it.

That will put me down to

P4 2200
Athlon 1000
Dual P3 450
P2 750
Pentium MMX 200 @ 266 MHz

I also left Folding on a customers machine (Cel 667) she though it was neat. If she doesn't change ID it should be crunching at least 18 hr / day.

Hope to be able to add more machines in a week or so.

Jeff

Groltz

THE FRIDAY EVENING GAZETTE

Team stats sorted by weekly total: (SF is 24th overall in weekly output)
Table5.gif

Member stats sorted by weekly total:
Table6.gif

An ugly week, to say the least. We have gone from having two teams threatening us to four. Teams Xtreme Systems, and newcomer "Hotmail" are outcrunching us by significant margins and will pass us at their current rates. Another newcomer, 2CPU.com Folding, is right on our ass with their week's output. Team Austech, our relentless shadow, is next after that.

CNN Sport is invited to further analyze these events.

Good Evening,
------Steve

SteveC

Storage is cool
I think the Hotmail team is a glitch. Look under their users, and you'll "Anonymous" listed. Now look at the top 1000 users, and search for "Anonymous" and you'll see that they almost match up exactly. It seems that they are getting credit for everyone who is running as Anonymous.

Steve

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
This is what I've got at the moment running 24/7:
2* XP1800
Celeron 500
P3 900
Celeron 600
Athlon 1200

And one Athlon 1400 running maybe 12/7.

I might get a XP2000 or two running in the beginning of next week, so thumbs up everyone. (Or is it fingers crossed, whatever...).

Good work Sol! And everyone else!

Thanks for the info Groltz.

NRG, glad to have you back again!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tea, what exactly did you mean by posting this:

Tea said:
Cliptin surges into Second spot!

Great effort, Tea,. Cliptin, you is really crunchin.

(You mean the bit in red?)

(Yup. )

(It was a mistake. I started by pasting in another post, one of Cliptin's or JoJo's, and I forgot to take out all the quoted text before I posted it.)

(You're not very bright, are you Tea.)

(Nope.)

(It made you look rather stupid, you know.)

(Yep.)

(You're not going to do it again, are you.)

(Yup.)

(What do you mean - "yup"?)

(Probably will do it again. Tannin, I'm not very bright, you know that.)

(Sure. I know that. But now everybody knows.)

(I know.)

(I've never seen you like this before, Tea. You've really taken this one to heart, haven't you.)

(Tea?)

(Oh look, don't worry about it, OK? Wanna play some Age of Empires now?)

(No.)

(Unngh. Like that. ..... OK. What about we make a nice cup of tea and curl up in bed and read for a while? We are only half way through that history of Radar. What do you say?)

(Hmmmph.)

(You can turn the pages if you promise to be careful with your claws.)

(OK.)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think team 2CPU is the most serious threat or all for us, because they have a strong membership on their web site and are also fairly well known so they will have little problem to recruit additional high-potential-cruncher type of members.

Xtreme Systems will pass us too, it's no secret. But at least they won't out crunch us by a factor high enough to be out of our reach for quite a while. IMO, the same won't be true for team 2CPU. I'm quite certain they'll reach at least 4000 to 5000 weekly output pretty soon.

Oh well, we are still one of the best performing active members/weekly output ratio team. We can't always be the best. And let's not forget that we have quite a few duplicated members too, which doesn't help our ratio...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If Cliptin was twins, we would be level-pegging with Xtreme Systems. And if JoJo was twins too, we would be out-producing them. It's not impossible. Since a few new folders like JMP and JBarksdale and Jake joined us (is there something about the letter "J"?) we have really kicked along. Yup it is unlikely that we will be able to hold off Team Xtreme Systems forever, but we can make them work damn hard!

Also, some good news. Notice that we are finally getting close to Macrumours. We should pass them within the week.

And also also, I have slowed up. I only have a single K6-3/450 @500 going for me now, instead of two. Kristi has snaffled the other one (which is clocked @560) to help her hold off TeChNoSpAwN and catch Mercuto.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Bartender is now crunching with:
PIII 933
XP 1800+
XP 1900+

I don't know how long they'll last, but I hope it makes a better dent then what he had before.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Tannin said:
And also also, I have slowed up. I only have a single K6-3/450 @500 going for me now, instead of two. Kristi has snaffled the other one (which is clocked @560) to help her hold off TeChNoSpAwN and catch Mercuto.

What about the home machines?

I'm having technical difficulties right now. Probably not going to be fixed until Monday evening.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Cliptin said:
Tannin said:

What about the home machines?

I'm having technical difficulties right now. Probably not going to be fixed until Monday evening.

Are you kidding Herbie, that old house Tannin lives in couldn't support systems crunching at full speed. :D

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tea owns the home machines, not me, Cliptin. She disassembled the pure cruncher (an XP 1900) and took the bits into the office, so as to allow us to operate off a crossover cable at home - just the XP 1800 and the Smoothie - and free up a 4th 8-port hub, which will make its way into the office as soon as she gets off her bum and wires it up.

So the Red Hill people at present are running:

Soup_Nazi
Thunderbird 1400 part time
His mum's K6-2/300 soon? (Must remember to upgrade that one for her).

Mutiah
XP 1900, no doubt overclocked quite a bit but not full-time AFAIK

Kristi
XP 1800 part time
Tannin's hand-me-down K6-III+ @ 560 24/4

Tannin
K6-III+ @500 24/7

Tea
Too many to count!
1 or 2 XP 1900s
2 XP 1800
1 XP 1700
1 TB 1333
1 TB 1000
3 Duron 850 (or possibly 2 - we are not sure)
1 Duron 800
1 Thunderbird 700
1 P-III 666
1 Celeron 700 @788
1 K6-2/450
(All 24/7) You can see why she wanted the extra hub!

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i have the following machines crunching for me for some or most of the time:

1 x P4-1600
4 x P3-800
1 x quad P3-700
2 x P3-667
1 x P3-500
1 x P2-450

i can't seem to get my XP2000 crunching :crap: