Folding@Home

sedrosken

Florida Man
For some reason GPU folding isn't working for me under Linux. It doesn't see my GPU. I have opencl installed as well the latest proprietary nVidia drivers.

Handruin

Administrator
For some reason GPU folding isn't working for me under Linux. It doesn't see my GPU. I have opencl installed as well the latest proprietary nVidia drivers.

Any error messages in the logs or specific symptoms shown while trying to get it working? I had to do a bit of work to get mine working under Mint Linux (fork on debian).

Handruin

Administrator
It tells me no GPU is available and removes the slot when I try to enable it.

Is the GPUs.txt file empty? Try a "sudo find / -name GPUs.txt" and see what the file size is or if there is anything inside. I'm curious if you had the same issue I did.

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
"sudo find / -name GPUs.txt" returns absolutely nothing. That could be a problem. Do you have a copy you could upload somewhere or tell me how to get it from F@H themeselves?

sedrosken

Florida Man
Hey, it works. Or seems to at least. I will hold my judgement until it finishes a complete WU. Which it says will take ten days for 13k points.

Last edited:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That's terrible. 1.3k PPD. Give it some time, the initial time calculations aren't always that accurate. What GPU is this?

sedrosken

Florida Man
GT730. And you got it right, the initial estimate was way off. Now it's saying something like 2 days, which is much more acceptable. And the credit more than doubled to almost 30k.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Frankly my PPD count is getting a bit ridiculous given my hardware... I was getting roughly 13k PPD under Windows 10, now I'm getting almost 19k. Is Linux seriously that much more efficient with hardware resources?

Handruin

Administrator
Frankly my PPD count is getting a bit ridiculous given my hardware... I was getting roughly 13k PPD under Windows 10, now I'm getting almost 19k. Is Linux seriously that much more efficient with hardware resources?

It may possibly be in some cases. I found my GTX 780 was getting higher PPD under Mint than under Windows 8.1 using the same equipment. I haven't compared to Windows 10 so I'm unsure. I feel as though my PPD is about the same or maybe slightly higher under windows 10 vs windows 8.1 using my GTX 980s. There may be other factors affecting this so take it with a grain of salt.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just ordered a new VM Server, due in a week, it will need a couple weeks of testing before it goes live I think.

2 X INTEL XEON 14 CORE PROCESSOR E5-2697V3 2.6GHZ 35MB SMART CACHE 9.6GT/S QPI TDP 145W
16 X 16GB DDR4-2133 MHZ 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY (SUPPORTS UP TO 768GB OF MEMORY TOTAL, 24 DIMM SLOTS)
8x SAMSUNG 512GB MLC SATA III 2.5 INCH SFF SSD 850 PRO MULTI LEVEL CELL 6GB/S SATA3
1x 32G Flash Memory Module
THINKSERVER RAID 110I ANYRAID
1x INTEL X540-T2 DP 10GB PCI-E 2.1 X8 5.0 GT/S ( 2 ) TWO RJ-45 PORTS ETHERNET ADAPTER
2x DUAL REDUNDANT POWER SUPPLIES 1100W 80 PLUS PLATINUM HOT SWAP

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Is it a Lenovo TD350 or a rackmount model?

Since you include a 32GB flash SD card, I assume it will be an ESXi server and not an Hyper-V server.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Ok I'm back into production with sons laptop, looks like I should get about 6k per day from the CPU and 4k per day from the GPU. They've certainly made it easier to configure than back in the day.

Edit: I entered my passkey but looks like I will need to submit 10 WUs before the bonus kicks in.

Last edited:

CougTek

Serial computer killer
It is good to have you back on the team.

Meanwhile, Sedrosken has entered the team's top 20 contributors. Considering his means in real life (or lack of), it is quite an achievement.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I'm managing anywhere from 14-20k per day. Whenever I'm off the computer or doing something that won't stress it out, it's folding. Have to turn it off when I'm watching YouTube on here or the playback suffers :grin:. Thankfully I don't watch YouTube much on here, that's what my phone is for.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Ok I'm back into production with sons laptop, looks like I should get about 6k per day from the CPU and 4k per day from the GPU.
So, about 24 hours into resuming your contribution, September is already your best month ever. Or at least, since I've been compiling stats (October 2010). Your previous best month total was in June 2012 with a score of 73524 points. Your first 6 completed units gave you 87980 points so far.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Yeah I discovered the fah viewer app, looks like 7 Haswell cores at approx 3.2 GHz is good for about 17,000 PPD, and the 980GTX is good for about 180,000 per day. Had to move the slider all the way to the right to get the gpu working hard. Can barely hear the fans with everything cranked which I didn't expect, though the power supply brick is pretty toasty.

Edit: Replaced 780 with 980

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Great, you should pass me up in no time. But it's only a matter of time until I pass up the other defunct members of the team...

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for all the continued effort from everyone. It's nice to see that there is still activity from members over all these years both new and old.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Great, you should pass me up in no time.
He was already in front of you.

And it will take you some time before you pass all the "defunct" members. Especially the former leader of our team, who really is defunct : P5-133XL. Mark's first 15 million points were done on hardware less powerful than what you currently use. When you think about it, it's insane the level of dedication he's had over a little more than a decade.

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah I discovered the fah viewer app, looks like 7 Haswell cores at approx 3.2 GHz is good for about 17,000 PPD, and the 980GTX is good for about 180,000 per day. Had to move the slider all the way to the right to get the gpu working hard. Can barely hear the fans with everything cranked which I didn't expect, though the power supply brick is pretty toasty.

Edit: Replaced 780 with 980

GTX 980 should get you ~350K - ~360K per day if you run it 24x7.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Sorry I made a typo it's a 980M.
While we greatly appreciate your effort, you do realize that a laptop isn't designed to operate 24x7, especially one with a powerful heat-generating GPU, right? No one wants you to kill your hardware. Running the FAH client for some 8 hours per day would already be very good. More than this and I feel the risk for your hardware isn't worth it. Unless of course if you shit money like Ddrueding does.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Well my philospohy is if 30 days of heavy cpu/gpu use doesn't kill it it should be good for a couple years. You really have to see the rog g751 in person, its got a massive ventilation system. I would agree for a normal sized (thin) laptop it would be a death sentence.

ddrueding

Fixture
While I was on my trip I was pegging the Quadro card and CPU in my W540 most of the time doing video stabilization and image processing. Got loud, but never throttled the performance surprisingly.

sedrosken

Florida Man
He was already in front of you.

And it will take you some time before you pass all the "defunct" members. Especially the former leader of our team, who really is defunct : P5-133XL. Mark's first 15 million points were done on hardware less powerful than what you currently use. When you think about it, it's insane the level of dedication he's had over a little more than a decade.

Sorry, I haven't been paying enough attention to the roster.

It doesn't much matter to me how much I'm contributing at the end of the day, just that I AM, in fact, contributing. The numbers are just fun to look at.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
I appreciate you running them to help the project and team even if they are less-producing.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Dude, don't worry so much about it. I'd love to have 96k PPD. I average about 18k per day if I leave the Phenom II on 24/7 (which I do now, using the laptop for web browsing and being able to leave my cave).

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not worried about it, I was just expecting a $15k server to perform better relative to an older gaming GPU. The last time I did something like this I was getting huge bonuses for completing units early.

Handruin

Administrator
Sadly all those bonus points stopped or else you might have been seeing larger PPD. Still, you're contributing to a good cause even if the PPD isn't really seeming appropriate for the given use of expensive hardware.

ddrueding

Fixture
Not a problem, that will run until the software install on it goes into production. At the moment I'm using the added heat generated to properly size the new HVAC unit for the server room.

As winter comes I might start working the 2x Titan X at home from time to time.