Folding@Home

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Congratulations to Handruin, who broke my previous one-month production record of 28.7 million points by raising the bar to 30.3 million.

Handruin

Administrator
Now that it's getting cooler out I may have a little more I can contribute. I need to get a case for my project machine sitting on my desk so i can run it more frequently.

My PPD has been lower in the past month due to using handbrake considerably more which steals CPU time from F@H and my nvidia GPUs.

Handruin

Administrator
That'll be a nice contribution to the team if you decide to fold on it. I'd be curious how you intend to couple it to your water heater and manage it. What happens when your water heater reaches peak temp...do you bypass and cool in the ambient room?

For me I just let them heat the house as-is but I know you don't get the same kind of cold weather that I do in New England.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It seems like the NaCl client is taking significantly longer than in the past to complete units and I'm only getting 125 points per WU. I'm going to try the traditional fahclient and see if it works better.

ddrueding

Fixture
That'll be a nice contribution to the team if you decide to fold on it. I'd be curious how you intend to couple it to your water heater and manage it. What happens when your water heater reaches peak temp...do you bypass and cool in the ambient room?

For me I just let them heat the house as-is but I know you don't get the same kind of cold weather that I do in New England.

The current plan is to mount a radiator adjacent to the heatpump enclosure for the water heater and pipe that to a heat exchanger in the wall next to my desk. That way I can have a small, easy to manage water loop with the components and a larger loop requiring less maintenance.

Handruin

Administrator
The current plan is to mount a radiator adjacent to the heatpump enclosure for the water heater and pipe that to a heat exchanger in the wall next to my desk. That way I can have a small, easy to manage water loop with the components and a larger loop requiring less maintenance.

I had considered doing that when I got into the dogecoin mining. A buddy of mine that was also doing this was suggesting I replace my water heater with a unit similar to the one you linked to and pump the heat from my mining rig to the heat pump. Massachusetts (or maybe federal) rebates were being offered to switch from typical electric-based water heaters to something more efficient like a heat pump.

Nice contribution to our folding at home team! This is awesome to have another million points + per day!

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks! No idea how long it will last, the house is pretty darn warm at this point (super-insulated, the whole house is 30F warmer than ambient just from F@H).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
950W? Something like that.

That's half of what a typical electric geyser would consume. My apartment complex has a generator to supply power when the mains dies (fairly frequent). But generator power is limited to 1 KW per apartment. I'd be hosed if I had a rig like yours! As is, the fridge, washing machine / TV, my desktop and daughters laptop plus a few ceiling fans and lights work without hassle. But not the microwave or a geyser (the cooking range is gas).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
A water heater that runs on electricity rather than gas as in the US.

In the US, you have whole-house gas water heaters in the garage or basement. Here we have smaller (4 - 12 gallon) electric water heaters in each bathroom. These are called storage water heaters because the entire water in the tank is heated by an electric coil. Also available are "instant" water heaters that are really tiny; about half the size of a single carry on luggage. These have small-bore pipes around which an electric coil is wound and the water is heated as it flows in that pipe. With these, the advantage is unlimited hot water and savings because you heat only what is used. Disadvantages are that no electricity, no hot water, and the flow is pathetic. With storage heaters, these pros and cons are reversed.

Either type typically has heating elements that are 2.0 or 2.5 kw each.

ddrueding

Fixture
A couple years ago I upgraded the electrical service at the house to 200A. 200A @ 240V is (IIRC) 48kW.

Gas is cheaper around here than electricity for heating things (house, water, clothes), but I'm converting to electric as I plan to go solar. Once I have all the appliances electric I'll be able to get a baseline and size the solar system appropriately.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Apartments here have choked electrical connections because the builder wants to save money on the deposit to be given to the electricity company. Typically it is 3kw or 5 kw if one is lucky. Running 2 geysers and an electric iron will trip your MCB. Bastards. I would want at least 15 KW, probably 20 to be happy. Ain't going to happen. When they build a block of 100 - 600 apartments, they're not going to make an exception for one person. Rest of the crowd seems happy with what they get. I've always been the goofball in the world who thinks differently. I'm not "normal".

Gas is cheaper here too (I guess all over the world), but very few cities have piped gas. The rest have to make do with 14 kg cylinders of gas that are trucked from the bottling plant to distributors who then retail it to your home. Terribly inefficient and wasteful, but beats the high capital cost of laying pipes. The gormint here excels at not planning and letting growth happen on its own, so no chance of any planning or foresight. Since it's so painful to get gas, it's used only for cooking.

These posts ought to be moved to the "Something Random" thread. Sorry for digressing from Folding.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I didn't notice before, but I see that StarBlazer has stopped contributing. If it's a permanent decision, I want to thank him very much for the precious contribution he's made to our team. 82 million points is a significant amount.

Same goes for Striker.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
My video card went kaput and I didn't feel like the points from my measly processor amounted to enough to justify the heat and electricity.
I'm hoping to replace the card with something more current but money is tight right now. When I replace it I will probably return to folding.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have not participated for many years. I may have to fire something up to help the team. I think I have a couple Core 2 Duo systems and an unused 560ti video card.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
You could run the GPU client on the 560Ti, but don't bother running the CPU client on the Core 2 Duo. It won't worth the additionnal electricity expense.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Congrats to CougTeg for taking the lead.
So I'll have lasted almost two years at the top of the team. I apparently took the lead on early December 23rd 2013. I should lose it about 8 days short of the two years mark.

I won't upgrade my gears before the 14nm-process-made GPUs become available. That's like 6 months away. Handruin will have the time to build a substantial lead by then. I don't think I'll buy enough GPUs to achieve 1 million ppd either.

So Mark lasted almost ten years. I've lasted almost 2. We'll see how long Handruin's reign last.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I'd be folding except a Pentium 4 doesn't exactly help much and the GPU client doesn't like anything older than an HD 5000 series it seems.
My Phenom II is still under repairs, I still need to get ahold of an appropriate PSU for its draw. It'll be back online come about Christmas.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Try as I might, I could not get my 2nd GTX 970 to run well in the budget system I built. I don't think there was any issue with the J1900 CPU. All I can guess was it was related to the x4PCIe slot. It would only generate about 75K PPD where my other 970 would get about 300K PPD. I even tried running Ubuntu but no joy. So, I got rid of the 2nd 970 and am going to use the new machine as a dedicated Plex server. At idle, it is only using 12 watts (I still need to add a HDD for the media) and it should not have to transcode anything.

Attached is a screen shot of my effort to get it to Fold decently.

Anyway, I have my primary 970 back up and Folding for the winter.

Attachments

• folding_clocker_J1900CPU_GTX970GPU.JPG
    folding_clocker_J1900CPU_GTX970GPU.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 9

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Like I wrote earlier, the CPU has to be relatively fast in order to feed the GPU.

Meanwhile, Dave climbed to #3 spot on the team. Congrats.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Like I wrote earlier, the CPU has to be relatively fast in order to feed the GPU.

Meanwhile, Dave climbed to #3 spot on the team. Congrats.

You can see the CPU is only at 40% in the screen shot, yet the GPU performance is only about 1/4 what it should be. Others have used modest CPUs with great success so I guess it will remain a mystery to me.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I'd be folding except a Pentium 4 doesn't exactly help much and the GPU client doesn't like anything older than an HD 5000 series it seems.
My Phenom II is still under repairs, I still need to get ahold of an appropriate PSU for its draw. It'll be back online come about Christmas.

Remember how I said that? I lied. Donating the rest of the Phenom II innards to my dad's computer, whose motherboard is the reason behind its instability. (Clocker's 9600GT is still greatly appreciated, a very nice upgrade over a 210 for Dad) It's far more computer than he needs but it's what I have handy. Merry christmas to him I guess, I'll probably just hold out on building something until mid-2016.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Why does my signature in the Forum not seem to agree with the 300K+ PPD that I'm actually registering ? Just curious. Are there better ways to include production in the sig?

Capture.JPG

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Remember how I said that? I lied. Donating the rest of the Phenom II innards to my dad's computer, whose motherboard is the reason behind its instability. (Clocker's 9600GT is still greatly appreciated, a very nice upgrade over a 210 for Dad) It's far more computer than he needs but it's what I have handy. Merry christmas to him I guess, I'll probably just hold out on building something until mid-2016.
It's ok. Participation isn't mandatory. We all know you have more pressing issues in your life than contributing to the FAH team effort. The 926K points you've accomplished so far are still very good. Take you time.

I wouldn't be the one to pressure others these days. I should have upgraded my gears months ago to counter Handruin's push for the top, but didn't. If I can relax, as the (soon not to be) team leader, so can others.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Why does my signature in the Forum not seem to agree with the 300K+ PPD that I'm actually registering?
Because it calculates your average production from the past 7 days in order to establish your 24h average. I see 254K ppd in your sig, matching the graph posted in your message.

When you'll have maintain ~300K ppd for a week, it will show.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm having some challenges with my basement system right now so I'll have a much lower PPD for a little bit. I think the crappy hard drive I put in it has finally shit itself. I'm having frequent errors on reboot where the device is missing. You may make it to the 2-year mark at the lead. Everything you've contributed has been a huge help. I wanted to do my part so you didn't feel alone at the top. ;-)

CougTek

Serial computer killer
After a brief hiatus, Striker seems to have upgraded his gears. His production is much higher than it was before. It looks like the new graphic card to replace the capout one has arrived.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Yes, a friend "upgraded" her computer to an AMD something or other and sold me a GTX 970 which I have folding when my computer is idle, and occasionally when I'm doing something where I don't mind a small delay.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I was preparing a post stating that December 21st was going to be the darkest day of this year, not only because of the Winter solstice, but because it was going to be the day where I lose my top spot on the FAH team, but it looks like the second point is going to be delayed to the first hours of December 22nd.

Oh well.

Handruin

Administrator
I've been on F@H limp-mode for the past week or so. I haven't had time to fix/replace the hard drive on my basement machine for F@H. Tomorrow it is...