Folding@Home

OT: Polizei

What is this storage?
Das hat gut aus gesehen. Aber ich Ich las auch:
"Baker's Baptism" was the common penalty of the day for a baker whose loaf of bread did not weigh enough. The baker was dunked in the central fountain until the punishment administer thought that the baker was out of breath. There was no standard amount of time; it was left up to the "Master of Ceremonies."

Bäcker oder kein Bäcker, die Bestrafung arbeitet noch.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The main reason why I didn't fill the remaining posts after I wrote the 995th (and I could have done it easily since I've been mostly alone on the forum for almost two hours) was that I hoped this thread would remain ON-TOPIC and not deviate to something like the AtC thread. Seems I should have done it afterall...

Strangely, altough my crunching farm went back to the same configuration it was before I temporarily added an Athlon XP 2100+, my daily/weekly output is well over what it was back then. I used to produce some 170-190 points weekly and now I throw more than 250 with the same 5 computers that I had before.

I noticed the same happens with several other members too. The current sequence being worked by the Pande lab seems to be made of more valuable units.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I just configured a spare P3/500 laptop and a mostly unused P2/333 server to run the Folding console. The server should be up 24x7; I'm not sure yet if I can leave the laptop on like that or not. Both are company resources that I manage, but I may have to discontinue use if the machines are needed for anything else.

- Fushigi

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hopefully my XP lab will turn in some results tonight (they're going to spend the next two weeks *cough*Burning In*cough*). Merry xmas, all you xtian-types.

Mercutio

I think I only left nine of them on. I don't remember. A lot, when they're all XP2100s. I'll be at work tomorrow shamelessly pirat... working. I meant working.

By the way, tell Tannin I had an in-service failure of a 40GB Spinpoint, a whopping 13 hours into its operational life. No head crash. It just... stopped.
Hence the justification for burn-in. Not sure whether to call that DOA or whatever, but I also bought a DM8+ (or, more correctly, a DM8+ was shipped to me when no more Samsungs could be found) that had some bad sectors right from the start, which is something I haven't seen from Maxtor before. :(

Anyway, um, Moo, I guess.

Tomorrow I'll add 6 1.2GHz machines and maybe an 1800+. 19 CPUs averaging XP1800-speeds is probably a bit of boost, right? Too bad they aren't on all the time.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Every little bit helps Mercutio, and is much appreciated. I would count that Spinpoint as DOA. Anything within the first two weeks is DOA for me. Yes, technically it is not, but that is the way I make my call.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Mercutio said:
19 CPUs averaging XP1800-speeds is probably a bit of boost, right? Too bad they aren't on all the time.

Hah! Keep that up and Cliptin will start feeling the heat on the back of his neck, eventually.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Great guns, Merc! That's some serious power you're weilding there. Great!!

BTW...are one of the 1.2's mine?

C

Mercutio

Nope, C. It's a happy file server, sharing closet space with my other three hard-drive holders (each of which holds around 300GB of disk space, except the little guy).

Now that I think about it, if I'm gonna get serious about folding, those four machines have some serious muscle, too (2x 1600, 1700, 1200).

Cliptin, what is it I'm competing with, again?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
well done Cliptin and congrats on becoming out first 10K member! at an amazing 900 wu's p/d, it won't be long before you hit the 20K mark.

SteveC

Storage is cool
10,000 points and the number 200 producer out of everyone. Way to go, Cliptin! I need to find some more CPU power to try to keep up with everyone else.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Great work Merc! Nice setup :)

Were competing with the rest of the world, and some diceases. With the diceases because you never know what some doctor might find in you one day :(

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Cliptin, what is it I'm competing with, again?

13 2G P4s. (I'll add two more in a week or so.)
+
2x1800+
1700+
D950
Cel667
P133 running Genome but since I'm running it through the Folding program I think it is building stats for folding.

PS. FAH v3.24 has an advances option to use IE connection settings. It has been awhile since I knew what kind of control you have but I think a timed auto-disconnect is available.

PPS. IMO, Any hardware failure that inconviences the customer or causes duplication of signifigant work/time is an in service failure.

Mercutio

If I ever get everything running, I think we'll probably be just about evenly matched. Do your machines get turned off at night?

12x XP2100
1x XP1800
1x XP1700
2x XP1600
9x Tbird1200

... and if you want to get really competitive, I can always ramp up 40 or so more K6-2/P3 class systems. :p
How long does it take to update "active CPUs?" My stats page shows 0 processors for the last week even though I've completed 25-ish WUs in the last 3 days (only 8 machines are running right now).

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Mercutio said:
... and if you want to get really competitive, I can always ramp up 40 or so more K6-2/P3 class systems. :p

Please do it!

Not to bury Cliptin, but the 30+ teams that are between us and the front of the line. :diablo:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
How long does it take to update "active CPUs?" My stats page shows 0 processors for the last week even though I've completed 25-ish WUs in the last 3 days (only 8 machines are running right now).
I've found the team stats page at Stanford to be updated usually within 10-15 minutes of any particular upload. SETI was always pretty much immediate.

My individual page shows 4 CPUs, which is correct for me. Dunno how often the chart is updated, though.

- Fushigi

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Groltz said:
Mercutio said:

Please do it!

Not to bury Cliptin, but the 30+ teams that are between us and the front of the line. :diablo:

I appreciate the sentiment Groltz but Merc please bury me. All the machines I meantioned are folding 24 hours a day 29/30/31 days a month.

Mercutio

If someone could package up an installer that actually installs both the client and the service-making-thing, that'd be helpful. I tried doing it by hand (download/install client then install/use service-thing), only to have the service fail to start for no reason at all. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it, but it pissed me off that it didn't just work.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
If someone could package up an installer that actually installs both the client and the service-making-thing, that'd be helpful. I tried doing it by hand (download/install client then install/use service-thing), only to have the service fail to start for no reason at all. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it, but it pissed me off that it didn't just work.

Sorry to hear about your trouble's Merc. Are you using Firedaemon to create the service? It has always 'just worked' for me.

I administer my basement machines via Remote Desktop. If you aren't doing that, maybe you could give it a try to make your administration easier.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW: Electron Microscope III works great to monitor all of your folding machines at the same time. However, each machine will have to share the F@H directory on your network so that EMIII can access the share the monitor the folding progress. In the image below, I have the two machines I'm running (actually just an 1800+ and a 2000+ at the moment). It gives you stats on each machine (how many points they are producing etc.). and monitors progress in real time. It is skinnable and there are many different 'views' to choose from. You'll note, it also monitors total points for your ID (i.e. at the time I'm at 6,711.57) Finially, it alerts you when a machine goes down so you can investigate the potential problem.

em3.gif

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Just a clairification....

To use EMIII, each machine must share itsF@H directory on the network. I did not mean to imply that all the machines would share a single F@H directory. Although, it might make it easier to have all the F@H directories located on a single share for each machine to access....

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Ballarat's race rages on. Kristy, that all observers thought to be capout and hopeless, trampled over Tannin and now stands confortably in third place. Meanwhile, our long time vice-leader, Sol, continues his nap, still too bored by the lack of competitivity of his trailing opponents and (way) too far from our hairy champion Tea.

Will Kristy's sudden burst be enough to bring back a shadow of motivation to Sol? Or will she step on her own foot and fall, face first, once again, taking a few months to recover, before being near enough to heat Sol for the second position? Stay tune to find out...

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
CougTek said:
Ballarat's race rages on. Kristy, that all observers thought to be capout and hopeless, trampled over Tannin and now stands confortably in third place. Meanwhile, our long time vice-leader, Sol, continues his nap, still too bored by the lack of competitivity of his trailing opponents and (way) too far from our hairy champion Tea.

Will Kristy's sudden burst be enough to bring back a shadow of motivation to Sol? Or will she step on her own foot and fall, face first, once again, taking a few months to recover, before being near enough to heat Sol for the second position? Stay tune to find out...

:D

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Kristi is at home on holidays, therefor her Athlon 1800 is running most of the time. I am at home on holidays, therefore my K6-III is switched off most of the time. Sol ... well, he's just Sol.

Sigh.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
Personally, I believe that Coug is just like me: entirely capable of being as mad as two snakes without any chemical help whatever.
I object. You and I are very different, Tea. While I'm only part time sick, you're only part time sane.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
Quite right, Coug. As a general rule, I am sane between 2:00AM and about 8:00AM every morning, though there are other moments when it overcomes me for a while.

Thoze happen to be the hourz that you attempt to zleep. Zo, I would imagine that the other momentz (albeit brief) of sanity are attemptz at taking a nap.