Folding@Home

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmm, I should prob put this noisy bastard duallie in the basement and let her run 24/7. But I'd need a KVM cat5 switch that uses DVI, and I don't think they make those, not for under $300 anyway. So I'll prob end up getting a new quiet machine with DVI, and run the duallie via VNC.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Howell said:
Hey, Hey, Fushigi has passed me. You're in good company Fushigi.
Well, it's about time. :wink: You'd think these machines would Fold faster...

Current farm:
1 of 2 CPUs in each of 5 Dell PowerEdge 2550 servers; 1GHz PIIIs, 2GB RAM, W2K, 10K SCSI RAID5
1 Dell Latitude CSx, PIII 500MHz, 256MB, WXP, 10GB IBM Slug HD
1 IBM P2 333MHz Integrated PC Server inside an AS/400, 256MB, NT4, ~12GB spread across an array of 34 10K and 28 15K 18GB SCSI drives from IBM & Seagate w/RAID5
1 Dell Latitude C840, P4M 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, WXP, IBM/Hitachi 40GB
1 Athlon Classic 800MHz, 512MB, W98, Atlas 10K II
1 Athlon XP1700 @ 2800, 512MB, W2K, Seagate X15

None are truly dedicated to Folding, but they are almost all on 24x7.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Anyone else wish they had a 19" rack in their kitchen?

Anyone have a 19" rack in their kitchen?

I'm serious ... ever since I set up my xterminal I've wanted to have a single, centralized location for all my computers, and then just have a couple of totally silent xterminals scattered throughout my place.

I'm looking at a very basic unit from L-com, but I'm not sure if it's really designed to support computers, or it's more geared towards just telecom panels, etc. Anyone have experience with rack-mounted equipment?

Somewhat related, has this site been mentioned before? They have some insanely serious F@H competitors there by the looks of it.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hey, winter's coming. You can fire up waaaay more computers with a lot less guilt during the wintertime. :wink:

Seriously though, I don't have the cash required to build a server farm (as much as it would be neat to do). I'm just looking for a way to finally keep all the computers, cables, and crap centralized in one spot in my apartment. I figure one good 19" rack should last me a lifetime as computers get upgraded and replaced. Right now I only have plans for 3, or possibly 4, basic systems (and they'll be doing stuff other than running competition-related software).

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
The rack I've been looking at is here:

http://www.l-com.com/jump.jsp?lGen=...105&iSubCat=91&iSubSubCat=209&iProductID=5060

The 45U rack is insane ... it's 84 inches high, which is about 3 or 4 inches higher than the average North American doorway. Then again, you know the saying ... in for a penny, in for a kilogram.

The critical thing I need to know is, is this "single frame" rack designed to support rack-mounted computers? I mean, they would cantilever quite a ways off the back. I've seen other racks that are more complicated - essentially like the one above "doubled" to form a rectangular box of sorts. That way I'd assume you could support the computer cases at the back as well as the front. If you have the cash, those styles also occasionally offer the option for mounting each system on sliding rails, so that you can just slide each system forward, out of the rack. But that's way more than I'd ever need (not to mention expensive). So that's what I'm not sure about yet. Can you use a simple rack like the ones above to support "cantilevered" computers? They say those racks are rated for up to 500 pounds of equipment, plus there's that special cantilever support base, so I assume so. But I'd like to know for sure. Anyone know?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have an APC sealed rack with its own cooling. It lives in my laundry room now. They come apart you know.

If you want cheap, musicians are usually selling them. :)

I'd really like to get a better rack for audio. Something oak that matches my furniture.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
I have an APC sealed rack with its own cooling. It lives in my laundry room now. They come apart you know.

Oh yes, I figured "some assembly required". I just gave the doorway comparison in case anyone was wondering how high it was. :) If not for anything other than the sanity of the Fedex driver I figured these things get shipped just as steel rails that require assembly.

What do you think Mercutio? I'm sure you've seen plenty of rack setups before. Is it possible to manage with rack systems installed in a single rack frame like those in my earlier link?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
i said:
What do you think Mercutio? I'm sure you've seen plenty of rack setups before. Is it possible to manage with rack systems installed in a single rack frame like those in my earlier link?

For those single-frame jobs, as long are things are bolted to the floor or a properly-weighted base, they're pretty nice. If you don't know what you're doing when you're putting one together they're #$%-ing scary (yes, I've had the entire contents of a rack fall on me. Mechanically inclined I am not.).

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
For those single-frame jobs, as long are things are bolted to the floor or a properly-weighted base, they're pretty nice. If you don't know what you're doing when you're putting one together they're #$%-ing scary (yes, I've had the entire contents of a rack fall on me. Mechanically inclined I am not.).

Thanks Mercutio, I will keep that in mind.

myself

What is this storage?
i said:
CougTek said:
Congrats, you've just fµcked up the thread's width.

Yah, sorry CougTek. I completely missed that one.

Don't worry about it ... another post or two and this thread should spill to yet another page.

Page 14, here we come! 8)

me

What is this storage?
myself said:
Don't worry about it ... another post or two and this thread should spill to yet another page.

I wonder who will score the winning post. Will it be me?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
i, I had considered converting my stuff to rack mount but even though work gave my a 7' enclosed rack I still could not justify the cost. The BTX form factor was just announced, would you buy all new cases?

I have determined that the most efficient use of my money is to invest in... crap I can't remember the name. It's the hardware virtualization software. Anyway, and beef up the one box running the software as needed.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Howell said:
i, I had considered converting my stuff to rack mount but even though work gave my a 7' enclosed rack I still could not justify the cost. The BTX form factor was just announced, would you buy all new cases?

Would I buy all new cases to convert to a rack-mounted set up? No...

...but there's really no conversion involved in my situation. I'm basically starting with nothing (of value, anyway). My financial situation and my desire for a challenge force me to stay several generations behind the pack. I'm only now very slowly picking up parts to replace my Pentium 233 system. I'm aiming for a killer upgrade to a PII 300. And I probably won't even have all the parts I need for that for another month or two. Once I have that first system done, in another 6 months or so I hope to add another equivalent system.

Anyway, given that I'm coming from a P233, one of the parts will have to be a new case (if BTX is the new kid on the block and ATX is dead, what does AT qualify as? :wink: ). I'm willing to spend an extra $40 or $50 to get a simple rack-mounted case instead of a tower (a basic 4U case at servercase goes for $85 ... and yes, I like my edges sharp :wink: ).

So it's not like I'll be throwing a thousand bucks of existing equipment into the trash here. This is less of a change of course than it is a first step. I'm really in a position to choose a route that - and I think based on the fact that I'm still using a Pentium 233 highlights this - will last me a loooooong time. :)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Howell said:
It's the hardware virtualization software. Anyway, and beef up the one box running the software as needed.

VMware? Too expensive for me last I checked.

I have actually tried your route in the past though. I tried using Bochs for a while - it's open source and thus free. If my primary system (a dual PII 400) were faster, Bochs would be a great thing to play around with. Bochs actually emulates hardware, which is why it's so much slower than VMware.

Separate systems assembled from scavenged and cast-off parts seem to be cheaper, and for me at least, more satisfying. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Apparently, my comment about i's unproper url insertion was perceived as being a tad too rough by some. If my written style caused i to run to his room and jump on his bed to cry for a whole evening because it broke his heart, I'm sorry. I was only trying to point out a way to link another page that wouldn't <s>screw</s> jeopardize the thread's width with a touche of irony.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Don't worry about it Cougtek, no offense was taken.

Handruin

Administrator
Sometimes the stats generater here at SF can be misleading. It gets updated every...well, whenever I have time to click the link.

Handruin

Administrator
Can wget visit a url and then stop? All I need to happen is for the url to load. I thought about a cron job, but since this is a php script, it is designed to run through the web and not through CLI/shell.

I'll look into wget some more when I get home.

Handruin

Administrator
wget is a no go. I get a permission denied when I try to use it. Now I'm off to look for wget for my home pc.

Handruin

Administrator
OK, we're good. Every three hours the stats generator will be updated. I found wget for windows and I have a task scheduled. I'm hoping it works.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Unfortunately, it looks like our team has nowhere to go but down in the F@H rankings now. It's too bad but it was fun while it lasted. I guess we did the best we could.

Soon I'll be down to one or two machines folding. I will be giving one machine away as a gift (Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1850Mhz), the Duron 1200 and the Athlon XP 1700+ my dad father-in-law run aren't worth using as folders due to the minimal time they are up per day. I'll be only left with only two AthlonXPs I have at home at 2Ghz each....Maybe I'll start looking for something else new/interesting/exciting to donate my spare cpu cycles to. This is getting a little old. Or, maybe I'll just shut these damn machines off when I'm not using them. There's a novel idea! :eek:

C

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Hey, Right when I'm getting ready to upgrade my machines - you're going to close down yours.

I'm adding 3 3.2P4's (dell 400SC's - Yuk, but the price was right) and I'm going to build three from scratch (I haven't decided what I'm going to put into them) and replace MB/Proccessor/Ram on a empty case, a PII266 and a PIII500 while hoping the old PS's and cases work with the new MB's.

Hey, anyone got suggestions for the three machines I'm building? Cost matters! One will be a file server, one will be a domain controller, one is going to be an exchange server. The 3 dells are going to be my experimentation machines. Each will have a different OS and then I get to play with them.

In the end that ought to signifigently upgrade my daily total from the single machine I've been folding with (a dual 1900 Athlon MP)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
if you're just going to a dedicated file server I'd get a dell deal.. cheaper than building your own... then get a couple 160GB HDD's and put in 2 100baseTX NICS, use windows 2k3 and bind the NICS together... or alternatively if you have gigabit, use a single NIC and any OS you like. I personally prefer debian/knoppix/mepis.

If you want to build (from scratch as you say) I'd take a look at the bargain mobo thread we had a while back. The new Durons seem to be good performers at a cheap price and the SiS/Intel chipsets seem to be rock solid.. VIA is catching up. I've personally had good luck with the northwood based celerons as well. Nforce is supported well by windows, but I think not so well by linux yet.. have to test that... ATi still gets driver complaints while Nvidia doesn't have decent DX 9.0 hardware.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I understand about Dell Deals - I'm getting 3 400SC's for Gosh sakes.

The file server won't work with Dell: Specificly getting a case large enough to fit the 10 drives + CD + Floppy currently there. To get a machine from Dell with a case large enough would be cost prohibative. I'd be willing to buy a cheap Dell machine and transplant the guts into the case I currently have but Dell makes that difficult with their custom sized (Non-ATX) motherboards and non-standard PS's.

The other two could be done purchased from Dell (or some other company). It is my inheirant cheapness that prevents me from wasting perfectly good cases, HD's, PS's, Floppies, CD/DVD's, NIC's, ... (All I want is MB, Processor, RAM for each). Then there is my inheirant dislike for propritary anything and because of that Dell makes my teeth grind.