Folding@Home

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm more into set-it-and-forget-it contributions. If some WUs take longer, fine. I've never been in this for the points nor do I think I can spare time to look at it each day.

BTW, my farm is being redone a little right now so my contributions may be down for the next couple of weeks. After that, it should go back to normal and eventually I'll have 1 more GHz PIII (1/2 a Dell PE2550) at work.

If only I could convince my boss to let me run it on the server farm at work; that'd be 190 more machines...

Cawood Ledford

What is this storage?
We need more computing power for our folding efforts. I'm in the process of handing over some more hardware to my friend, so that he can increase his production for this group.

Cawood Ledford

What is this storage?
Ah. I am not signed up with the team, I just help my friend. I think on this forum he goes by, uh . . . what was it now? Oh yeah, Bartender. On other forums he uses other aliases, although I think he used the Bartender label on a couple of other forums too.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Please have a silent moment with me remembering my Athlon XP2400, which after a cooler+fan upgrade (falconrock 2 with YS tech fan) decided it had enough.

It had been a bit flakey lately, like not liking to fold withoug freezing.
Now it just smells burnt...

Wonder what happened, as I did the exact same procedure to my XP1700. No, the cooler was installed correctly, like the thermal grease, and the fan, and the fan was working also.

Barton 2600 coming tomorrow. After that I'll have a XP1700 (forcesse), barton 2800@3200 (forcesse) ,a P4 2.X and the 2600 folding. Trying to get some more asap.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The JoJo said:
Please have a silent moment with me remembering my Athlon XP2400, which after a cooler+fan upgrade (falconrock 2 with YS tech fan) decided it had enough.

It had been a bit flakey lately, like not liking to fold withoug freezing.
Now it just smells burnt...

Wonder what happened, as I did the exact same procedure to my XP1700. No, the cooler was installed correctly, like the thermal grease, and the fan, and the fan was working also.

Barton 2600 coming tomorrow. After that I'll have a XP1700 (forcesse), barton 2800@3200 (forcesse) ,a P4 2.X and the 2600 folding. Trying to get some more asap.

Do you monitor your temps? It's possible that the edge of the socket kept the cooler from making good contact with the CPU. It's easy to do with some sockets and coolers.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't know what's wrong, but their f'king stats system no longer counts mine. Take a look at that page for an example. According to them, I did 123 points in their 2003-12-28 19:00 update, but they don't count it in their daily total. Plus, both my systems are up and running without problem and my stats are in free fall. No error message in the units I send either.

I'm in Sacrament.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've just noticed that we have overtaken another team something like two days ago. It's has been a while since last time it happened. Great work guys.

I plan to had a 2.13GHz Duron next week. This should boost my total production to +1400 points/week, up from my current 900-1000 points/week.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
I plan to had a 2.13GHz Duron next week.
Great plan, isn't it? Well, it was until I learned that the Duron 1.6GHz works on a 266MHz FSB and not on the 200MHz FSB like the older 1.3Ghz and lower models. I planned to put it on a motherboard having a max FSB of 266MHz...so I won't be able to run it above 1.6GHz. Which, as a result, means that I lost my money when I ordered that processor.

...and now I see Clocker's CPU for sale, damn! Of course, no more money in my pockets.

Calvert de Criss d'Ostie.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Damm that the new Bartons are locked. I wouldn't have minded the boost from 166-200fsb.

Gotta give away one barton 2600 and an Athlon 500 today. :(

But instead I'll hopefully have an Barton 2800 tomorrow.

...just as I was about to show CougTek who the man is ...;)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hey coug, i have a shuttle AK32L. Supposedly it's max is 266 (officially), but i was able to run the board fine at 333. Knowing you, your board probably offers overclocking options so even if you cant get to 2.13GHz you can probably get close.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Guess you don't know me well. The board is an ECS K7S5A Pro. It doesn't offer overclocking options with the default BIOS. I could always use the cheapo BIOS at OCWorkbench.com, but I doubt it'll do wonders. The K7S5A is a good value board, but it's crap for overclocking. Even with thermal paste between the chipset and the chipset's heatsink. At best, I could bump it from 266MHz to 333MHz FSB frequency, which would clock the processor at 2GHz. Still well short of the 2.13GHz I was expecting.

I'll be eBaying for a KT333 or KT400 mainboard in the next few days, looking for something at a bargain price. Don't make me offers, I'll only buy if it's REALLY a HUGE bargain (think less than half retail price).

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'd have something, except the application explodes each time I try to launch it.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
The worst part is having to clean the residue off my ceiling every time I decide I'll try it one more time.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Ahh, finally got the duallie up and running again, arrived home to discover the dreaded "No OS found" upon bootup. Think one of the 15K drives may have had a titsup moment. Or just 2003 Server reminding me that it ain't the rock solid beasty that win2k is. And with the cell connection giving me 10K sec up and down, uploading 1MB result files is no longer a 10 minute debacle.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Don't feel bad. I've found 2003 Server to be much less stable than 2000 or XP, even if I don't load any drivers beyond those in the default install (ie no sound and generic video driver).

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Honoured ambassador of Canada, not much I'm afraid. :cry:

I've got my Barton 2800(linux, the bugger has started to take a break after a completed unit, and I'm using default configuration...), Athlon xp 1700 and now another Barton 2800. A few lesser computers also, but they are mostly off (my laptop during the days(P4 1600 I think), one celeron 500).

You are doing extremely well, am I doing something wrong to have such a low amount of WUs completed/day?

Do I need to use the -forcesse switch on all computers with SSE, or does it use the optimizations by default?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The JoJo said:
Do most of you just use the default configuration regarding what type of units you are crunching? Or do you put some preference on them?
Defaults. I just plug in my user name & team # and that's it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The JoJo said:
Honoured ambassador of Canada, ...
I didn't see eDawg or CityK post here recently...

The JoJo said:
Do I need to use the -forcesse switch on all computers with SSE, ...
Well, I do. Without optmisation, your client will run like one third of their maximal speed.

Also, I'm not sure if the Linux client still lags the Windows' client as much as it used to (was like 60% slower for 3.24 and before).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We are officially both part of and part out of Cacana since 1982. We aren't part of their constitution, but somehow, they still do apply it here. Why do our leaders let this be, I have no idea. All I can tell tell you is that Québec is nothing like Canada. You would visit both and think you are in two completly different countries. So for my part, I'm not Canayan. And I believe our terms would be better with the English if they would stop trying to put their nose into our business every now and then. Plus, insulting ourselves by naming our airports by the name of one of the worst bastard who's ever lived here is nothing to incite me to like the red leaf flag.

Whatever, just don't call me a Canadian, cause I am not. Québécois (French) or Quebecer (english term to define us), but not Canadian, moose, canuck, anything related to the RCMP or the Queen, or to the folks that chose to support the British instead of their fellow Americans some 230 years ago (Loyalists, IIRC).

Which of your system(s) didn't use the -forceSSE flag?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You need the force SSE on all AMD chips that support SEE (they default to using 3dNow). Intel chips use SSE by default and don't need to be forced.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Bummer, I thought that one would have needed to forcesse only on the beta version. If it's better, why not make it default then?

I just enabled the forcesse on my bartons and my laptop, Quebecer.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
blakerwry said:
just checking my psersonal stats... I'm planning on overtaking JMP on 2014-03-10 at 5:00pm.

It's only a matter of time.

Now this takes the cake. Get ready handy, cause on March 9th, 2063 I am set to overtake you in F@H. You better increase prodution buddy.... but even then you're only prolonging the inevitable.