Folding@Home

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Very gracefully put, Clocker. Provided that our friend the Bartender does not put on another sudden spurt, I'm mostly wondering if I can dare to aim at the astonishingly productive JoJo. He's still out-crunching me at present; so I'm getting further away, not even level-pegging.

I need more machines!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Very gracefully put, Clocker. Provided that our friend the Bartender does not put on another sudden spurt, I'm mostly wondering if I can dare to aim at the astonishingly productive JoJo. He's still out-crunching me at present; so I'm getting further away, not even level-pegging.

I need more machines!

I have two Athlons and a P3 that may convert if the price is right.... :)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I don't expect that the Bartender will be crunching units any faster, as a matter of fact, I think things might slow down. But that is OK, we have a fantastic team with excellent contributions from many members.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Tea said:

I need more machines!

And he is doing it with three fewer processors turning in results on a weekly basis (15/18). Maybe you should mothball the K6s and upgrade.

Can you you setup your net connection (office and home) to dial-on-demand and then drop the the connection after a certain length of inactivity.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cliptin said:
Can you you setup your net connection (office and home) to dial-on-demand and then drop the the connection after a certain length of inactivity.

Oh yes. Easily. It would take me about two minutes. But the phone bills would destroy me! Roughly $60 a month extra.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
For some reason, phpBB won't let Tea post. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing. She ge's the "you can't make another post so soon" error message even though she hasn't posted anything in this session yet.)

But she asked me to post the following on her behalf:

-----------------------

I'm still experimenting, Clocker, trying to find the best method. At present I am leaning toward having either 3 or 4 processes on each machine of Athlon 1200 class or better, two for, say, a Duron 750 or a P-III, and just the one on the K6-IIIs (which make very little contribution anyway).

I'm just letting the processes run continually. I have no idea what overheads are involved in the task-switching. Am I loosing efficiency by having copy #1 switch to copy #2 to #3 and back all the time? In the end, it doesn't matter: if I run a single process on a fast machine, it will have finished long before it gets a net connection again, and the efficiency loss there is huge.

At home (two machines) I connect twice a day - morning and evening. At work, I'm usually connected more-or-less all day from 11ish till 5 or 6. (Except weekends.) Sometimes (like today) I stay late and have tea at the office, which means the office machines get an extra connect-time bonus, but the home machines (of course) suffer instead.

How are the others among us who are on dial-up coping with F@H?

Any hints, tips or strategies to share?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh, and on the K6-IIIs, Clippy, they are working machines that would be on anyway, and for their real tasks, they are ideally suited. I'm not going to mess up a perfectly good office network in order to crunch more proteins. Just add Athlons made up out of spare parts.

I'm working on getting more productivity out of my machines by running multiple copies, but the stupid Folding@Home program is hopeless if you don't have a permanent web connection.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Something really weird is going on! Tea posted that one about K6-IIIs, then we locked up the shop and came home.

Then Clocker replied.

Then we got home, fed the cats, and logged on. After a little while doing odds and ends - upload some proteins, check mail, send rude message to The Prof on ICQ - Tea tried to post her reply to Clocker. This was maybe a half hour after posting her original message.

Then she couldn't post so I cut and pasted it in under my name.

And now, my message appears above hers - whic was posted a half-hour earlier!

Where will this one appear?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Yes, anomalies are happening for me too. None of the threads are showing up as read after I've read them or clicked on Mark All Forums Read. When I switch logins and browsers, the same problem occurs.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
WOAH! Clockers post was present before I just posted my reply, why was his post pushed to the end of the line? Mine previous post should be last.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Oh, and on the K6-IIIs, Clippy, they are working machines that would be on anyway, and for their real tasks, they are ideally suited. I'm not going to mess up a perfectly good office network in order to crunch more proteins. Just add Athlons made up out of spare parts.

I'm working on getting more productivity out of my machines by running multiple copies, but the stupid Folding@Home program is hopeless if you don't have a permanent web connection.

Are you launcing a second process when the first first is about 1/2 done? That seems like it would do the trick as you would probably always be crunching. How often do you connect??

C

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Just start two processes, set one to idle priority and the other to normal/high. The idle one will do nothing till the medium/high one is finished. Then it will start.

Handruin

Administrator
This is a test:

This post should be one hour behind per a few weeks ago I noticed the clock was off by one hour. This post should read:

18:14, when it is actually 19:14 because of day light savings.

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin said:
This is a test:

This post should be one hour behind per a few weeks ago I noticed the clock was off by one hour. This post should read:

OK so it appears to be 2 hours wrong now. I logged into the server via SSH and typed in "date"

Tue Jun 4 18:18:53 EDT 2002

I think they played with the clock... it is one hour behind my clock here. The server time was always the same as my clock here. This is strange...I'll go complain now.

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin said:
Handruin said:
This is a test:

OK so it appears to be 2 hours wrong now. I logged into the server via SSH and typed in "date"

Tue Jun 4 18:18:53 EDT 2002

I think they played with the clock... it is one hour behind my clock here. The server time was always the same as my clock here. This is strange...I'll go complain now.

Test:

This should be 1 hour behind now. making the time of post 18:25 ish

Handruin

Administrator
I've gone into my terminal and typed:

SET TZ=EST5EDT

This has put the clock back to where it was earlier this week, and for the past few weeks. I don't know the correct way to handle this because of daylight savings. Should I adjust the clock so that it changes to -4 GMT which I believe would correct the time, or do I leave it as is basing the time where others don't have day light savings?

To show my ignorance, does everyone use day light savings, or is it only an east coast USA thing?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
It's more then an East Coast thing, although not all states participate. Additionally, Europe participates in this time warp.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The whole of Australia does daylight saving. Except Queensland, where they are temporally challanged. (Translation just for Coug, because his dictionary is getting worn out: still in the wrong century.)

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Tea said:
...where they are temporally challanged. (Translation just for Coug, because his dictionary is getting worn out: still in the wrong century.)
Nice translation indeed ;-)

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Hmmm...I just lost 45 minutes because the stupid client wasn't able to connect to the port 8080 of their server. :-?

I hope the client 3.0 final will be released soon and that it will fix these kind of bugs if bug it is.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Some of the problems are with their servers too....not jus the client. Just and FYI...

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
The whole of Australia does daylight saving. Except Queensland, where they are temporally challanged. (Translation just for Coug, because his dictionary is getting worn out: still in the wrong century.)

It's so the cows don't get confused....

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Tannin? Is it considered bad form to draw attention to one's own progress?)

(Yes.)

(Oh.)

A silent pause follows. Tea is sitting hunched forward with her chin resting on one lightly clenched fist - a posture inspired, no doubt, by excessive exposure to Auguste Rodan as a child. Tannin is making the tea.

(But couldn't I just ... )

(No.)

Tea breaks her thoughtful pose to pick up the cup Tannin has put before her.

(Not even ... )

(No!)

(sigh)

James

Storage is cool
Tea said:
A silent pause follows.
Can you have any other type of pause?
Tea is sitting hunched forward with her chin resting on one lightly clenched fist - a posture inspired, no doubt, by excessive exposure to Auguste Rodan as a child.
Who's he? And why was Tea exposing herself to him when he was a child?

That ape has no shame.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I thought the spelling looked funny too, James, so I looked it up on Google before I posted. Maybe I looked up a site that had his name spelt wrong.

thinker.gif

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yeah, the "thinking man" ("ï óêåðôüìåíïò áíÞñ").

They once did a temporary exhibition (exchange with the Paris museum) here in Rome and the sculptures were indeed spectacular. Especially the "kissing couple"...

Oh, and I had the opportunity to visit the biggest Rodin collection out of France, in Stanford, California, last August. They were absolutely great!

PS. I was once even considering to have the thinking man for Avatar. Pretty cool.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I downloaded the beta3 client for Linux, but when I activate it, it doesn't ask me to configure it. Plus, I don't see the console running anywhere. I'm in the mist.

Where are we supposed to put the client on a Linux system and how do we configure it? I saved the client on the desktop background (KDE) instead of putting it in the /root directory. Is it ok?

BTW, I know it isn't safe to always login as root, but it's only a test system so I don't really care about the security.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Anybody haveing trouble downloading work or sending in results? My machine has been idle for a few hours at least waiting to get more work....

C

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Forget it JoJo, I found that page and now I know what you meant. The client is running fine now on my Linux box :D

I cannot get a WU from their server though. I guess it's not just Clocker who is having trouble to communicate with them.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug-

Was it recently that you downloaded a WU using teh Linux client? So the Linux F@H servers are working?

C

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Second place :) and getting further and further behind JoJo :( He da man! :wink: In hitting 300, JoJo has regained his 100 point break on me and now pulled out an extra 15 points.

Team in 164th place and cookin! :)

I need more machines! :cry: