Folding@Home

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
The reason I'm a Colorado fan is because of my love for the Nordiques. They were always the underdog and lost. When they finally got their break and came to the states as a winning team, I was elated. Otherwise, the Kings would be my first team.

The only reason I haven't stuck with Kings is because they can't play an honestly good game. I think about how many times I hear Bob Miller (the Kings announcer) say: "Wide to the right", or "Wide to the left" - it is sickening. So, I've managed to separate my love for hockey between two teams.

However, once Colorado was out, I sort of stayed away from the Stanley Cup finals and focused more on Soccer/Football. I hope that Germany can beat Cameroon in their next game (or at least tie).

PS: Just as a note of humor, Microsoft Word says that the word Nordiques should be Rodriquez. What idiots.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
That fucking beta3 client rebboted my Linux computer when it was on the verge of finishing its protein A (over two days of work). When it finally finished to reboot, that Tabarnack client told me that it wouldn't continue because the beta has expired. But it's 8am damn it! Couldn't it have expired normally at midnight?!? Why did it rebooted my computer! And why my Windows version is still running fine? Damn!!!

Consider that I no longer have the Athlon 500MHz among my crunching setup. With what I did to that fucking box (and judging by the odd shape of the enclosure now), I doubt anything inside it still works. I'll look at that later.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Weird. According the the F@H guys, the beta3 only expires when it is shut-down and restarted after the 10th arrives. Theoretically, you could keep running beta3 as long as you don't stop it from crunching....

I'm not really sure but I kinda doubt that F@H could cause a reboot. Is it possible something else happened to your box, Coug?

C

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Clocker said:
Is it possible something else happened to your box, Coug?
My other comp was running just fine on the same power bar. The only application that was running on KDE 3.0 was the FAHconsole. I checked 30 minutes before and it had 98 /100 completed, with the 98th almost completed. My system reboot about at the same time it should have completed the whole protein design.

Anyway, now it's too late to think about it. The metal and plastic ball that lies on the floor right know is about as close to a computer as a steak is to a beef.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Your trouble, Coug, is that you swear at your machines in French. That's useless. The CPUs were designed in the USA, remember, and computing itself is a British invention. They don't understand French. You have to swear at them in English. (Let me know if you need any special tuition. If you need advanced tuition, let Tannin know. He's an expert. Just one hint for now: repeated instances of the word "pox" can be very, very useful. Try to put the precision impact adjustment tool down first though.)

PS: Also remember that the mainboard was made in Taiwan and the hard drive in Singapore: you may find it even more effective if you swear in Chinese.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Ewww! Sorry to hear about that Coug. :-(

You might want to consider some anger management classes or possibly yoga.

Find the calm, peaceful Cougtek deep within you... :)

C

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Clocker said:
Find the calm, peaceful Cougtek deep within you... :)
Well, the calm and peaceful part of myself was hidden so deep inside of me that I think it went down the bowl long ago.

The motherboard still seems to be fine (the enclosure didn't bend enough to reach it) and the hard drive inside that box was my indestructible Quantum FB + LM, so there are chances that it still works. I hope the PSU, which ended its useful life in a noisy spark show, didn't blew up too many other components. I'll try to power up the main components with one of the few PSUs that lie on my shelves. More later on.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
It's alive! It's alive!

I copied the beta4 in the same directory as the old beta3 (which I deleted) and it continued at 99/100. I might have my protein A completed within the 3 days delay afterall (I have until ~11pm and it's now 9:45am). I should know it in 34 minutes (the time it takes to this box to complete 1/100th of a protein A).

I hope the computer won't reboot again because it was the last working PSU I had. All the others were remains from my R.I.P. past enclosures.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Cliptin is really a lucky guy. Both here and on UD's think got some very high-yielding WUs to crunch...
Just look at his score/WUs ratio in both places!! :x

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
It's alive! It's alive!

I copied the beta4 in the same directory as the old beta3 (which I deleted) and it continued at 99/100. I might have my protein A completed within the 3 days delay afterall (I have until ~11pm and it's now 9:45am). I should know it in 34 minutes (the time it takes to this box to complete 1/100th of a protein A).

I hope the computer won't reboot again because it was the last working PSU I had. All the others were remains from my R.I.P. past enclosures.

I believe you get credit for results whether they are turned in late or not. If they are late, they have no impact on the research but you still get credit for turning the work unit in. That's why I was running my P133 at one point....

C

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Clocker said:
I believe you get credit for results whether they are turned in late or not. If they are late, they have no impact on the research but you still get credit for turning the work unit in. That's why I was running my P133 at one point....
Just to verify this, could you please create a dummy user just for one protein and see if you get any credit after you have sent a result too late?

BTW, congrats to Pradeep to have fixed his problem and restarted to crunch the F@h. We always need more help.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Pradeep said:
Aha success, it is giving me stats for returned work. Phear me!

I also lost two weeks for the same problem. Different computers though. I still don't think my weekly output is accurately represented in the stats yet.

PS. What are you guys with the windows console version using to monitor multiple systems? I've been using Foldmonitor.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
Clocker said:
Just to verify this, could you please create a dummy user just for one protein and see if you get any credit after you have sent a result too late?

BTW, congrats to Pradeep to have fixed his problem and restarted to crunch the F@h. We always need more help.

Lol. OK. I can let you know in about 7-10 days with my P133....

C

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Heh heh. Foldmonitor tells me that it takes my P133 15.5 days to complete a proteinAg29a.

FWIW, It takes my Duron950 1 day (+/- 5min) to complete a proteinA.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Clocker said:
Lol. OK. I can let you know in about 7-10 days with my P133....
Well, whatever the protein you'll end up crunching, you will blow the "best before" time limit with a P133. If you don't mind to do it, I'll wait.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Now they fix the bloody thing! Tea, who has probably lost 30 to 50 points because of this bug, has just spent ages updating the 2 to 4 .exe files to Beta 4 on a round dozen systems, and now she is going to have to do it all over again. She is not going to like this. :(

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
Now they fix the bloody thing! Tea, who has probably lost 30 to 50 points because of this bug, has just spent ages updating the 2 to 4 .exe files to Beta 4 on a round dozen systems, and now she is going to have to do it all over again. She is not going to like this. :(

So the added speed of the beta seems to be offset by its inconsistency. I've been having great success with 2.19! I'll update when the release is out. ;)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You need to get your ears adjusted, JoJo. I ain't behind you.

But you will probably pass me again overnight (my time - it's 2:00 AM here and I'm about to hit the sack). And you may well find that you draw ahead again after a few days. My collection of machines is diminishing (though there is a nice pile of notes accumulating in the till) and I have to let Kristi have some of her workshop back soon. Not to mention return Sol's hub.

Besides, I am getting really tired of buggerising about with the poxy damn F@H Betas. I estimate that between Stanford server issues, trying to balance multiple copies on multiple machines, and above all the really bad habit F@H has of restarting without keeping its current results, that I'm loosing ~10 to 20% of my calculated work. I just don't have the time to administer those machines properly. And yes, they need a fair bit of administration, because I have more machines than I have available IP addresses, network connections, or monitors.

Also, Tannin is chomping at the bit. I've more or less promised him that I'll at least let him have the two K6-III/500s. So I look forward to a long and productive battle with you to see if I can maintain 1st place.

Team is at #120. We is cookin' guys!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
F@@@!

I just installed beta 5, now I get a lboody core does not recognise command error!

Back to genome....again.... :roll:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sorry about my recent lack of chrunching WU's. For some reason, the clients were not working. I tried a variety of beta without sucess as well as going back to the originals. I assume that installs of different versions all inhabiting the same folder has caused problems. Specificly I was getting network send errors. It could retrieve WU's but couldn't send them. I reinstalled several times and it did not seem to help. I have now uninstalled, deleted the folder and reinstalled and it now seems to be working.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have been enduring a lot of the same problems as you, P5. It seems to have more-or-less righted itself this last day or two though. A problem with the Stanford servers, I think. No doubt Tean Storage Forum is overloading them!

JoJo - me too. I think I have about 2/3rd as many machines crunching now, and haven't been able to get around and plug each one of them into a web connection as regularly as I should. Still, I ordered another 5 Athlon XP 1800 CPUs today, seeing as we are getting low on them, so perhaps at least I'll be able to make sure that my reduced stable of machines are all decently fast ones.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I had loose time this afternoon and I managed to resurect my old Thunderbird 800MHz with my entire SCSI setup. The problem with that system? I unplugged the thermistor of the Volcano 7 fan and because of that, the motherboard thought there was no fan on the CPU = no booting. The system has slept for over 4 months because of that. Now it's running F@h with my other computers.

And I can finally use my X15-36LP and 10KIII again...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Ut oh I think Coug is about to ream me a bit....I guess that additional P2-450 at work won't be able to hold you off after all!

Need more CPU.....hmmmmm.

C

CougTek

Serial computer killer
My Athlon Classic 500MHz needs ~34 minutes to complete 1/100th of a proteinA.
My Athlon Thunderbird 800MHz needs ~17 minutes to complete 1/100th of a proteinA.
My Athlon XP 1600+ needs ~11 minutes to complete 1/100th of a proteinA (I'm not exactly sure IIRC about this one).

How far is your P5-133 on its protein design Clocker?

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
My Athlon Classic 500MHz needs ~34 minutes to complete 1/100th of a proteinA.
My Athlon Thunderbird 800MHz needs ~17 minutes to complete 1/100th of a proteinA.
My Athlon XP 1600+ needs ~11 minutes to complete 1/100th of a proteinA (I'm not exactly sure IIRC about this one).

How far is your P5-133 on its protein design Clocker?

My Athlon 1.2Ghz takes 11 minutes to complete 1/100 of a proteinA also... Strange how close ours are if that number you posted is correct.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
My XP1800 running at 1600MHz takes 9 minutes and 10 seconds for one frame of ProteinA.

Handruin

Administrator
Rocco Siffredi said:
My XP1800 running at 1600MHz takes 9 minutes and 10 seconds for one frame of ProteinA.

So you setup is about 3.3 hours faster then mine roughly.