Forum complaints / problems to fix master list

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I asked Handy about it earlier in the day; short version is, yes, there are issues with SF's hosting right now.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Doug-
Sorry to hear about the shit hitting the fan with you. Hope everything starts to look up for you really soon...

KCH

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks Clocker. I know things could be worse so I don't mean to gripe too much. :)

As for the hosting. I may start to look for another hosting company once I get my stuff organized in my house and I'm back online. As of right now I have to wait 2 weeks for comcast to come reconnect my TV and internet. :\ So it might be a little while.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Check out Lunar Pages, I have heard good things about them in the past and I think they are one of the most reasonably priced providers out there.

ddrueding

Fixture
A minor request:

Change the tabbing order so that the password is the field after the username, with the "remember me?" button after that.

(on the main page)

TIA

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I really dislike the look of the home page: It is far to busy with useless stuff like calenders, online user lists, stats, birthdays, etc. It really looks like simply a link to the forums with lots of junk added. The middle news section, simply looks like selected forums posts, rather than news. I'm sorry, but to me, it look chaotic, undisiplined, and frankly amateurish.

It lacks a main purpose; which as far as I can tell should be mainly news with a convienant and noticable link to the forums and possibly some links to our other group activities like our folding team, or maybe links to favorite tools.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for the info you guys. I've added the most recent two suggestions to the list of things to fix. I've finally got my basic desk setup (tonight) so I have a decent place to work (and I have internet access at my house again).

I can't change everything tonight, but now I can begin working on a bunch of these issues. I'll possibly be upgrading vbulletin again since a new version just came out. Before I do that I need to play with it and see how it works. Sorry for the long delays.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Next annoyance,

Inside a message box, there is no cut & paste capability. I can paste from outside sources, but I can't move stuff around while editing because there is not cut/copy option.

ddrueding

Fixture
P5-133XL said:
Next annoyance,

Inside a message box, there is no cut & paste capability. I can paste from outside sources, but I can't move stuff around while editing because there is not cut/copy option.

Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V work, as does right-click "copy" and right-click "paste"

I can also drag n' drop text just by highlighting it and moving it around.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
ddrueding said:
Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V work, as does right-click "copy" and right-click "paste"

I can also drag n' drop text just by highlighting it and moving it around.

I understand that that is the normal way(s); My message boxes, don't include those options in the right-click menu:

This is what I get when I right-click inside a Message box: Note no cut or copy choice, only paste. Though, I not normally use Ctrl-c / Ctrl-v, I just tried them and they do work.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
By the way, I really like being able to upload an attachment and use that rather than having to host the image. I do wonder, though, if that feature is used extensively, how often those uploaded files will need to be cleaned out because of space. I suppose time will tell.

ddrueding

Fixture
P5-133XL said:
This is what I get when I right-click inside a Message box: Note no cut or copy choice, only paste. Though, I not normally use Ctrl-c / Ctrl-v, I just tried them and they do work.

Interesting, here is what happens for me. Latest Firefox with AdBlock Extension and a few others.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Yours is exactly what I would expect. Mine is not, and thus is why I posted it as annoyance. I'm using just plaine-jane vanillia IE6 and right-click copy/paste worked before the conversion to VBulletin and still works on other BBS's and applications; Just not here for me.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I've been fiddling, and it appears that if I switch editor mode -- Icon in the upper right of the message box, it fixes the problem. I'm not sure how the two editor modes differ, but I have no problem switching to the one that allows cut/copy.

So problem solved.

Handruin

Administrator
I've upgraded to vbulletin 3.6.0 so that once I begin making the changes we need, we'll be at the latest version.

In regards to the images hosted here, they can be managed very easily from the admin console. If they begin to consume too much space, I can remove some of the older ones as needed. I believe you can also see (and manage) all your own attachments from the user CP by going here.

Handruin

Administrator
Fixed item #5 (Previous avatars are now uploaded to the server again). You will have to look for your avatar under the "Useruploads" or other categories. My apologies that the avatars don't automatically map. You can adjust your avatars under your User CP => Avatar.

Handruin

Administrator
252 more messages. ;) I'll bump it up high since we don't have tons of members. If we ever do get tons, I may have to kick it back down.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
A character display bug that I've noticed in the new forum software, which did not exist in the previous forum software (pHpBB), occcurs when I use the [ list ] command to indent a block of text or a list. No matter what, a "round bullet" character is generated on the first line of text when I use the [ list ] command. Below is an example:

• Hello world!
    Splash splash splash
    Coral
    Shark
    Seaweed

...which uses this simple code:
Code:
[ list ] 
Hello world!
Splash splash splash
Coral
Shark
Seaweed
[ /list ]

If I want bullets in front of every one-line paragraph, there's no problem. I just use the [*] command at the beginning of each line within the [ list ] structure.

• Hello world!
  • Splash splash splash
  • Coral
  • Shark
  • Seaweed

I'm guessing the bug fix probably entails a lot of code sifting and is not worth chasing down.

NOTE: I added spaces within the [ list ] command on purpose.

GIANT

ddrueding said:
Where is the edit button?

I could've used an Edit Button last night, what with the back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back.... spelling and grammatical screwups I was committing! Where's the Grammar Police when you need his acerbic commentary?

Instead of saying this...
Splash said:
I'm guessing the bug fix probably entails a lot of code sifting and is not worth chasing down.

...I was trying to say:

• I'm guessing the bug fix would probably entail a lot of code sifting and is not worth chasing down, unless it's something easy to fix.

(PS: I just used 5 levels of [ list ] [ /list ] commands as an experiment)

.Nut

OK. I give up. Is there an "Smiley Page" or something of that nature here where I can choose Emoticons? I swear I stumbled onto such a page or pop-up window here a few days ago.

Come to think of it, does someone here know of a smiley code webpage that displays a list of all the popular smiley codes (I'm talking about the : special_word : codes, or whatever they are called).

,thanx

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, you can see the list of smilies when you reply to a thread. On the right hand side are a few of the common oes, but you can also click on the link labeled "more". See screen capture for more details. The "more" page has the alternate text associated with the smilies.

GIANT

Handruin said:
Yes, you can see the list of smilies when you reply to a thread. On the right hand side are a few of the common oes, but you can also click on the link labeled "more". See screen capture for more details. The "more" page has the alternate text associated with the smilies.

Your forum interface does not look like what I'm looking at now. On my right side is just a whole lot of pale blue space. I just changed displays between "linear," "hybrid," and "threaded" but the icons-on-the-right view never appeared during a Reply. Same goes for Style being set to "Default," "Revised," or to "Simple."

However, I looked far and wide for what I discovered a few days ago, and w-a-y down at the bottom of this particular page is a small embedded window titled "Posting Rules." Within posting rules it mentions:

You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
code is On
HTML code is Off

From there I re-discovered the URL to the StorageForum Smilies page.

[url]http://www.storageforum.net/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies[/url]

[Generic Smilies]
What to Type / Resulting Graphic / Meaning

The Smiley Codes I need are located in the "What To Type" column.

[list] [/list]

Corvair

Well, that would be if I had originally done the following:

User CP ---> Edit Options ---> scroll down to "Miscellaneous Options" ---> Message Interface: Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing

Over two weeks later, I just now stumbled into this feature! :eek:wneddnce:

Arial
Arial Black
Arial Narrow
Book Antigua
Century Gothic
Comic Sans MS
Courier New
Fixedsys
Franklin Gothic Medium
Garamond
Georgia
Imapct
Lucida Console
Lucida San Unicode
Microsoft Sans Serif
Palatino Linotype
System
Tahoma
Times New Roman
Trebuchet MS
Verdana

GIANT

There is currently no way (that I'm aware of) to get from any level in the forums to the top of the hierarchy without typing http://www.storageforum.net/ into the browser. Case in point:

navbits_start.gif
Storageforum > Off Topic > Feedback >

Clicking on "Storageforum" on the folder level indicator brings you back to:

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/index.php

storageforum_logo.png

Clicking on "Storageforum" icon at the top of the page also brings you back to:

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/index.php

The convention used by most websites is that clicking on the large logo at the top of the page brings you back to home page:

http://www.storageforum.net/

Handruin

Administrator
You are correct. It is something that needs to be address when I redo the front page and layout. I'm waiting on some graphics from a friend before I roll out the changes.

fb

Storage is cool
There's something strange going on. I posted something in the "commutes"-thread, and the main forum page got updated, but not the Pub & Brewery section?

Handruin

Administrator
It seems to be there. Isn't this where it should go?
http://www.storageforum.net/favicon.ico

The server has been slow because they've been backing up emails to convert it to some other format (news to me). fb's issues was MySQL being too slow to update the thread table index so I had to do it manually.

Handruin

Administrator
Very strange. I didn't add it back there, so I don't know what happened. It must be an anomaly from the OS rebuild.