Forum complaints / problems to fix master list

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I can't find the link for the hosting server statistics. FWIW, every day this week the site has been unavailable from about 8-9am est. What ever they claim, something is definitely going on.

Handruin

Administrator
I know we need a new host now. They've offered to move me to a new system, but I suspect things might not get any better. In fact, I think shared hosting is always going to have these issues.

I started looking into a VPS solution but the cost is quite a bit considering the amount of RAM that is provided. It would at least separate us from other users, but we'd still be at the risk of physical hardware (which isn't uncommon in most situations).

I'd like to colocate, but I don't know of any data centers near me to do this. I'd gladly build the server with my own money to do this.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If every regular that has some extra money laying around were to donate whatever they can afford, I'm sure you would have to use minimal amounts of your own money. You already put more effort into the site than anyone else, why should you have to support it monetarily?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If every regular that has some extra money laying around were to donate whatever they can afford, I'm sure you would have to use minimal amounts of your own money. You already put more effort into the site than anyone else, why should you have to support it monetarily?

Ageed!

Bozo :joker:

Handruin

Administrator
I'd prefer to keep it free for the users. I don't feel anyone should have to pay for this. The instabilities we have can somewhat be related to the cost spent for reliable (or unreliable in this case) hosting (which isn't much). Maybe at the least I'd consider the Google ads to recoop some funds if a more expensive solution was to be implemented. However I would just assume to fund it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd prefer to keep it free for the users. I don't feel anyone should have to pay for this. The instabilities we have can somewhat be related to the cost spent for reliable (or unreliable in this case) hosting (which isn't much). Maybe at the least I'd consider the Google ads to recoop some funds if a more expensive solution was to be implemented. However I would just assume to fund it.

Parts & Pieces???

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Parts & Pieces???

Handruin

Administrator
I don't follow what you're asking? The only cost I'd worry about is the hosting cost per month. If it involves building us a server, I'll buy it (or the parts to build it).

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't follow what you're asking? The only cost I'd worry about is the hosting cost per month. If it involves building us a server, I'll buy it (or the parts to build it).

I was offering to send some parts.

Handruin

Administrator
Haha, so true. Nah, you guys have sent me far too much to begin with (and I still greatly appreciate all of it). I'm still trying to figure out the best way to handle this. We're not at a level of needing such dedicated hardware, though it would be nice. The instabilities are all that warrant it at this point.

I'd like to find a decently priced collocation to put a host in. I think even with moderate hardware, being a single website with fairly low traffic, the performance would be fantastic.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm getting an error from IE7 when replying to some messages:

"Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format
HTTP 406
What you can try:
Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 406 Not Acceptable) means that Internet Explorer was able to receive information from the website you visited, but the information was not in a format that Internet Explorer can display.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help."

I haven't been able to pin down the cause but so far it has only happened when quoting a previous message

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The only problem I see, is at the top left corner of the page (under Storageforum>) is a red X next to Reload this page.

Handruin

Administrator
True, but with all the work that was planned for the site, I thought I'd wait to see if it changed.

I don't even see a red "X"... thanks for mentioning it, I'll take a look.

As for the IE 7 error. I don't even know what's causing that one... I'm posting this reply with IE 7 as a test to see if I have the same issue. Which, by the way, I do see the missing image now for the reload. Firefox masked it some how...

Handruin

Administrator
I'm getting an error from IE7 when replying to some messages:

"Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format
HTTP 406
What you can try:
Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 406 Not Acceptable) means that Internet Explorer was able to receive information from the website you visited, but the information was not in a format that Internet Explorer can display.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help."

I haven't been able to pin down the cause but so far it has only happened when quoting a previous message

I'm testing again to see if this happens. So far it hasn't happened to me.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm testing again to see if this happens. So far it hasn't happened to me.

I pinned it down a little more: I believe the quoting system is a red-herring. It happened when I was cutting and pasting text from Wikipedia. I think that it was including more than just text (part of the page formatting?). While I couldn't see anything abnormal, it produced the same message both on a reply and using preview.

Handruin

Administrator
Interesting. Did you try clicking the a/A button in the upper right corner of the message box to see what the code behind is? It will switch from javascript to bbcode.

Handruin

Administrator
That really stinks for those running phpbb. The article doesn't even mention which version of phpBB was compromised.

I appreciate the kind words, but it could still happened even here. I just hope that doesn't happen.