Goddammitsofuckingmuch

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I've had a Samsung external 2.5 inch 1TB drive for quite a while now. I don't know anything about it except that it works just fine. Perhaps it is the same as the 640GB drives we are familiar with but has an extra platter.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I believe all the 2.5" 1TB drives are taller than the 9.5mm standard so they may or may not work for typical 2.5" drive applications or enclosures.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The 12.5 mm drives don't fit most all laptop apps except some Macbot Pros or a few external enclosures. I can fit one in the Nexto, but the back would be hanging out and Progaff would be needed to hold it together. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
While I'm sure that these companies have a presence all over the globe, none are headquartered in the EU? (Japan, S. Korea and two in California, IIRC).

While they could theoretically play "hard ball", these mergers include every hard drive maker there is, so banning their products would be slightly disruptive.

ddrueding

Fixture
It starts with an uneducated and unmotivated populace, and is combined with a political system highly conducive to bribery at all levels. Combine that with voters that punish those who speak hard truths, and you're there.

ddrueding

Fixture
We have fairly capable anti-monopoly laws here, should one decide to enforce them. Of course, the best they've chosen to do was with Microsoft. Having even two players seems to be good enough for them.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Case in point: The FEDs let banks keep merging together until they became so large that when one failed, it affected the whole country and other large banks. Years ago banks could only operate in the state they were chartered in. If one of them failed, it was a local problem.
You might also remember a few years ago when the FEDs broke up Bell telephone.

As long as big corperations keep giving money to the scum-bags in Washington, nothing will change.

Mercutio

Goddammitsofuckingmuch said:
Customer Notice

5. Dec 2011

Samsung Electronics had made a contract with Seagate on M&A of HDD division into Seagate on Apr.19.2011,and the relevant process is under way. The M&A will be finished by December 2011. And please be informed of the transfer of the HDD warranty service as follows.

The warranty service of the HDD that Samsung have sold will be transferred to Seagate Technology after M&A is completed. Please refer to the attachment 1 for the warranty service details. And the exact date of M&A completion will be noticed later.

Freeze Zone will be in operation for smooth transfer to Seagate, and the operation plan is as follows.

* Freeze Zone: Time for business transfer with all service work stopped.

( Free Zone : D-7 ~ D-day @ 8.December.2011 ~ 19.December.2011)

Above schedule is base on Korea standard time and working day

Please contact Samsung until 18 December 2011.

Do not contact Seagate before 19 December 2011 for Samsung HDD questions.

1. RMA No Issue is stopped on D-10 (5.December.2011)

-. Seagate will resume RMA No Issue after deal closing.

2. If RMA No is issued before D-10(5.December.2011), RMA products should arrive at service center within 3 days.

3. The RMA products which arrive at service center in Freeze Zone or later will be received by Seagate Technology.

4. Seagate will provide the warranty service after M&A completion.

Samsung Electronics will provide the best support to prevent the customer inconvenience through close collaboration with Seagate Technology.

Beginning of the end. Sob.

Mercutio

Can I just say right now that I hate Seagate's RMA system with the passion of a million exploding stars? The web based tool refuses to create RMAs for me because my postal code is shared by several municipalities, so I have to spend a half hour on the phone and then get lectured by the phone monkey that I should be doing the RMA on the internet because I obviously have computers and can work a web browser. Based on my last two conversations, I think the telephone support people just assume that everyone who calls is either elderly or retarded or both.