HP DL320e or HP ElitePro desktop?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a dilemna. I can either opt for a rackmount server or a desktop computer for a customer who doesn't need very high performing equipment. In my experience, rackmount equipment have a much lower failure rate than typical desktops. However, to fit within the allowed budget for that job, I could only go with an HP DL320e, which only has a 1 year warranty. I typically deal with the HP Proliant DL360p and DL380p lines, both with a 3 years warranty. I assume the DL320e's components have a lower tolerance than those used in the higher-end server series. If I go with an ElitePro desktop, the cost will be roughly 20% lesser, but it is a price that can easily be justified if it comes with the added piece of mind of a more robust system. Even though the ElitePro desktop has a 3 years warranty, I'm tempted to go with the Proliant DL320e. What would you do?

ddrueding

Fixture
My feeling is that the robustness of the hardware is similar enough to not be worth fighting for. I'd go for the longer warranty, which is a sure thing.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
...or I could purchase a 3-year next-business-day hardware support (HP #U6E91E) for ~160$ with the DL320e.

I'll check if I can find an HP SFF desktop in which I can put two HDD in RAID 1. Ideally with a Xeon E3 v2 or v3 inside too.

Thanks for the replies.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
IIRC, all the HP SFF cases that allowed installation of a floppy drive allowed two 3.5 HDDs (but is very squishy). (The 2nd HDD went in the floppy bay).

But it'll be up to the BIOS if it allowed RAID1, unless you use an add-on card.

Mind you the additional 3yr warranty on the DL320e for very little money would certainly change my decision. (get the DL320e).

IIRC, for Xeon's E3, none of the Elite's have them, you need to look at the Z220/Z230 SFFs.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Rackmount hardware is usually really loud. This may not be a factor, but if you're buying this hardware for a single user and that equipment isn't going in your datacenter, that's something you might want to consider.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Noise won't be an issue. While the environment won't be particularly dirty, the server will sit in an industrial complex next to heavy machinery.