HyDrive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So now we have another complication, HyDrive. It will make upgrading nigh impossible. :flower:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
This actually looks like a useful thing for portable devices, which seems to be exactly what it's aimed at. Might be nice as a basic storage device in an HTPC.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I'm sorry, but how is that any different than any other modular bay system for a notebook and as such I don't see it as a game changer. They've had modular bay systems for notebooks since the very first notebooks.

LunarMist

The notebooks will only have the one place for this device - no place for a separate hard drive. :drinka:

LunarMist

Very funny. I am not doing well and not writing as clearly as possible. :elephant:

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
What makes you think that these bays prevent the notebook that use them from having a normal internal notebook drive? It would seem very peculiar, to me, that Windows would keep on running for long if you needed to remove the only hard drive to watch a Blue-ray or CD-ROM movie. At the very minimum there would be a lot of bay swapping every time the HD was needed and wouldn't that be rather disruptive to watching your movie. Copying data from the CD-ROM/Blue-Ray to your HD would be a nightmare because buffers are generally not that big.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't like the idea in combining the optical and the HDD, optical drives fail all the time.

LunarMist

What makes you think that these bays prevent the notebook that use them from having a normal internal notebook drive? It would seem very peculiar, to me, that Windows would keep on running for long if you needed to remove the only hard drive to watch a Blue-ray or CD-ROM movie. At the very minimum there would be a lot of bay swapping every time the HD was needed and wouldn't that be rather disruptive to watching your movie. Copying data from the CD-ROM/Blue-Ray to your HD would be a nightmare because buffers are generally not that big.

One could assume that the integrated devices share the bus reasonably well. :thumbright:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't like the idea in combining the optical and the HDD, optical drives fail all the time.
I hardly use my optical drives.

I haven't experienced an optical drive failure, either personally or professionally, since the 52x days, when we were ruining drives by shattering disks in them.

LunarMist

I've seen broken optical drives in notebooks. They are rather flimsy.