Increased SSD Performance with relaxed retention...

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Guys,

Just was quickly browsing the following paper called "Optimizing NAND Flash-Based SSDs via Retention Relaxation".

The basic premise is that in order to store data for a long period with NAND flash, say hold it's contents for 10yrs (being the current industry expectation or there abouts), it takes x msec (200 msec - 1800msec depending on the NAND Flash) to perform the erase/write cycle. If we are willing to lower the expected data retention period to 1 yr, or even mere days/weeks we can improve the write latency by over 2.5x with TPC-C loads or even up to 5.7x with traditional writes that are the same size as the cell. (erase/write latency being one of the issues with write performance).

Why is that interesting? In data center or SAN environments SSDs are currently being used as cache drives in front of larger banks of 15K/10K/7.2K traditional HDDs, with retention of data in the cache is only required for hours, or at most a few days... So in theory, if the SSD only writes the NAND flash in a way that the NAND cell will only retain the data for a few days, could see improvement of the caching of the storage array, and going by the paper, by up to 2.5x the performance.

For those at home or in SMB, ZFS has the ability to set cache drives as part of the zpool (these are called ZIL), so for at home installations, this could be a nice way to increase performance of your storage setup.

However, the scary thing about this idea, is that how long before someone like OCZ does similar with their consumer SSDs in order to boost write performance? (Basically after 1yr of not writing to a cell, it loses it's state, and with only a 1yr warranty, why would any company care about performance/capability beyond the warranty period).

Food for thought.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That really is interesting and a little disturbing.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I was wondering how this would affect data retention in a powered off state.

The sad thing is, with the decreasing process size used for NAND, it has not only decreases the number of write cycles, but also played a little bit with the data retention capability/reliability. (Since you have less atoms holding a given state).

ddrueding

Fixture
Very interesting. I wonder if the new general purpose SSDs will be going this route, with the controller being required to "stir the pot" every once in a while if data has in fact not been altered for a month or so.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I'm sorry, but this just sucks. From my perspective, the increased speed is not worth the loss in long-term reliability. That being said, I can see how manufacturers would want this in our disposable planned obsolescence life style for they get to sell more drives and out compete in performance any manufacturer that takes the high road.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't see this as a loss of long-term reliability. So long as the drive is still able to accept writes and perform reads the drive isn't broken. It just means a change in usage/perception. SSDs weren't for archive storage anyway; that would be nuts.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well if there is a background data refresh than this isn't a problem as mentioned. Again we will be depending on the manufacturer doing a proper implementation that isn't going to lose your data. We all have some notions of who makes reliable spinning disks but I think we are all in the phase of figuring out who makes reliable SSD.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well if there is a background data refresh than this isn't a problem as mentioned. Again we will be depending on the manufacturer doing a proper implementation that isn't going to lose your data. We all have some notions of who makes reliable spinning disks but I think we are all in the phase of figuring out who makes reliable SSD.

But of course the problem with a background refresh is that if the drive is powered off and stored it won't have the chance. At the moment it would be crazy to use SSDs to archive data long term, but people are crazy.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Agreed that using SSD for archive is crazy, and that people are crazy and will do just that because they are represented as being sturdy. Data retention is going to be a big issue soon; colleagues are getting people whose ancient USB (64MB - 256MB) flash drives have gone poof and they stored important archive documents on them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Agreed that using SSD for archive is crazy, and that people are crazy and will do just that because they are represented as being sturdy. Data retention is going to be a big issue soon; colleagues are getting people whose ancient USB (64MB - 256MB) flash drives have gone poof and they stored important archive documents on them.

I've been of the opinion for quite some time that offline/unmonitored storage of any kind isn't really safe at all. For me a backup is another machine at another location on another RAID array with SMART support and monitoring/email reporting. For me to guarantee someone's data it must be on three of these.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Yeah, unmonitored archiving is unwise. The current spate of problems is from people being too far ahead of the curve for their own good (couldn't see the questions to ask about long term stability); small offices that scanned old documents to PDF then stored them on thumb drives by client/project. At least some (mostly lawyers, with their love of paper) still have the hardcopy "somewhere in storage".

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I don't see this as a loss of long-term reliability. So long as the drive is still able to accept writes and perform reads the drive isn't broken. It just means a change in usage/perception. SSDs weren't for archive storage anyway; that would be nuts.
If the data does not last, then you will have to read it again and the rewrite it to keep it from losing it. SSD's are longevity limited by the number of writes it can do before total failure. Having to refresh the data is shortening the lifespan.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not 100% on the physics of transistors, but I suspect that these "light writes" would have a smaller impact on the drives longevity.

IIRC, it is all about building an electrical differential, and this differential leaks over time. Building less of a differential should have less of a physical impact on that part of the chip.